M5400 water in fuel line problem

JEBWV

New member

Equipment
M5400, LA1001
Feb 26, 2017
2
0
0
Ravenswood, WV
I tried starting my M5400 for the first time since winter today. It ran for about a minute and quit. It was in the low 40's (°F) today.

I checked the fuel filter and it had water in the bottom of the bowl and needed changed. I replaced the fuel filter and have bled the fuel hoses to the fuel lift pump and to the entrance to the fuel injector block.

I have opened up the fittings on top of the injectors to try to bleed the line further, but nothing is coming out. I got a little bit of bubbling and white foamy watery diesel out, but then nothing from any of them when I crank the engine. I would think, fuel should be spraying out?!?

Anyone have advise on this? How can I tell if the fuel lift pump is bad? How can I tell if the injectors are bad? I'm at a loss at this point and wondering if I should start ordering parts...
 

rentthis

Well-known member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
1,010
25
48
summerville,sc
If you have water at the injectors, you will have to continue bleeding them until all that is gone and you have good fuel spraying. If you can't get good fuel, it won't start on water. It might be a good idea to remove the lines from the injector pump to the injectors and blow them out with compressed air first. Keep in mind, water being injected into a diesel engine can cause catastrophic damage just with the starter.
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,469
11,248
113
Sandpoint, ID
If you think it put water in the lines, I would pull the line and the injectors, clean them out then crank it to make sure the injection pump is passing clean fuel, then reinstall and bleed then try again.
 

JEBWV

New member

Equipment
M5400, LA1001
Feb 26, 2017
2
0
0
Ravenswood, WV
Thanks for the suggestions. Today I cranked the engine for about 10 seconds at a time with the fittings lose at the top of the injectors to bleed it. I had the compression release open to make it a bit easier to turn the engine over.

After cranking for a 10 count/snugging down an injector fitting, moving to the next one, etc...I tried to start the tractor.

After a few seconds it caught and started up. I've got my tractor back!