M5140 weak hydraulics

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Recently purchased a new M5140. Love the tractor. Only complaint I have is that when idle hydraulics seem weak. Lifting the FEL or 3ph causes the engine to slow down noticeably. My old L3010 doesn't change engine speed when doing these operations. The hydraulics are the same on M6040 and M7040 and wondering if these do this as well. Maybe the M5140's engine needs a little extra torque? When I rev it up there's no problem.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Could be a pump difference. On the L series the pump is internal to the transmission and such. If on the M5140 it's attached to the crankshaft or driven by it, it might cause a different form of load on the engine to be noticed than what you noticed on your L series.

My L3200 at idle will lower the rpm a bit when using the FEL or picking up the 3 point with something heavy on it. It's not much but I can hear it. Raising the RPM by just 200 and the issue goes away. I run it at about 1200 when I'm just doing hydraulic work without much wheel work.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Idle is exactly what it means. Idle. So when working, at least take it off idle.not saying its a bad thing to work at idle- its easier to be gentle when needed. Now where i worked, the brains of the outfit would run tractor balls to the wall when operating backhoe-which clearly stated operate at 540 rpm's. Claims it had more power.ya and it could reach farther too.....

Hst pumps sap power differently than more direct-driven pumps. As mentioned above.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Recently purchased a new M5140. Love the tractor. Only complaint I have is that when idle hydraulics seem weak. Lifting the FEL or 3ph causes the engine to slow down noticeably. My old L3010 doesn't change engine speed when doing these operations. The hydraulics are the same on M6040 and M7040 and wondering if these do this as well. Maybe the M5140's engine needs a little extra torque? When I rev it up there's no problem.

If a machine WAS designed to run at idle, then it would not have the available power at a higher RPM......

I understand why and how one should back off the throttle a bit if you want to dig with a hoe and or with a bucket in a situation that required finesse, but to run it at idle and expect that it will keep up - not sure that is plausible. Rarely does someone need balls-to-the-walls rpm , BTDT and it is nice to reach down and grab a few extra ponies by the tail and shake them free.
But a machine has a RPM range that it should be run at to be the most efficient. ON my Bx - it rarely sees 3400, and it rarely runs below 2700....

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
If a machine WAS designed to run at idle, then it would not have the available power at a higher RPM......

I understand why and how one should back off the throttle a bit if you want to dig with a hoe and or with a bucket in a situation that required finesse, but to run it at idle and expect that it will keep up - not sure that is plausible. Rarely does someone need balls-to-the-walls rpm , BTDT and it is nice to reach down and grab a few extra ponies by the tail and shake them free.
But a machine has a RPM range that it should be run at to be the most efficient. ON my Bx - it rarely sees 3400, and it rarely runs below 2700....
I think that usage is mainly for hydrostatic drives. It doesn't apply to gear drives. Not sure what kind of transmission the OP has.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
To be clear I don't work the hydraulics at idle. This was just an observation. After all these years running an HST it's taking some getting used to gears and hydro shuttle tranny. Thanks for the info regarding the differences on how the tractors power their hydraulics, that explains a lot.