M4050 Won't Start

Airgator

Equipment
Kubota M4050
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
On Monday, I could not start the tractor. The glow plug indicator would glow orange like normal but when I would try to start it the starter would just make a noise and not turn over or catch. I ordered a starter and put it in yesterday...now it will not even heat the glow plug indicator. Now, in the process of taking the battery cables on and off, I cracked the positive battery terminal. There is a screw with a wire on each battery terminal. I'm not sure where the wires go. Also, if you are looking at the side of the tractor facing the starter there is a wire attached right behind the starter at the far right side. I can't find that part name or number anywhere. Is that the wire that goes to the glow plug indicator? I would greatly appreciate any help...I use my tractor to put hay out. Thank you!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The glow plugs working or not, has no bearing on the starter working or not.
They do not share wiring.

#1 pull the battery and have it tested for CCA
#2 Inspect both ends of both battery cables for a good solid connection.

Are you saying in your repairs you've broken the positive battery end?
Replace the cable and reattach the wires, they are feeds for other electrical duties.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It sounds as if the work to replace the starter goofed up some wiring.

When you turn the key to 'start', the small wire on the starter should receive +12v (this spins the starter)
Make sure this wire got reconnected when starter was replaced.

However: you say that at this point, the GP indicator does not even work. Look for some wires which are not connected.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Before changing the starter out, did you try jumping the tractor with either a battery charger or jumper cables to see if it was a low voltage problem? Not a starter problem?

Reactions: 1 user

Airgator

Equipment
Kubota M4050
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
Well, my tractor started tonight. I had tried to get it to start so many times with the old starter I drained the battery. I took the new starter off to see if I had knocked a wire loose but there was nothing loose…and since I had to swap out the terminal I decided to charge it. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions. This tractor has been very reliable. It’s important to me because I use it to put hay out for my cows. Thanks again!