Lx3310 hard starting

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Can you provide a reference? I'd like to understand the purpose. It will be a learning moment for me.
Attached is the parts diagram showing the throttle valve on the LX3310... Fun fact early Ford 6.0 Power Strokes also had a throttle valve (2004 only). Yes it defies conventional wisdom on diesels. But emission controls bring some strange engine strategy for controlling emissions. That is the biggest reason I got a LX2610 and just deal with the lower PTO output in favor of having a simpler emissions system that does not require regens or other PITA maintenance concerns. But again that's what I wanted as I can make the trade off of lower HP in favor of a simpler engine to maintain.

Attachments

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Attached is the parts diagram showing the throttle valve on the LX3310... Fun fact early Ford 6.0 Power Strokes also had a throttle valve (2004 only). Yes it defies conventional wisdom on diesels. But emission controls bring some strange engine strategy for controlling emissions. That is the biggest reason I got a LX2610 and just deal with the lower PTO output in favor of having a simpler emissions system that does not require regens or other PITA maintenance concerns. But again that's what I wanted as I can make the trade off of lower HP in favor of a simpler engine to maintain.
After looking up the part diagram, this appears to be something associated with the heated intake starting aid system not power control of the engine. My '99 SuperDuty with a 7.3L Navistar engine has a "quick warm up" system that throttles the exhaust to change the fuel/air ratio and make the peak cylinder temperature increase for faster warm up.
My guess is that's what this does on the heated intake of the LX3310. It restricts the airflow to increase the f/a ratio and then goes full open as a function of coolant temperature or some other parameter so that normal power control is via fuel flow control. That's probably what Ford did on the 6.0 L engine. The heater is a starting aid and they are combined in one unit. So it's not really a power control unit.

Thanks for the discussion on this.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
So it's not really a power control unit.
Its got nothing to do with engine RPM or power control. It is normally wide open (I know the part diagram is just that, but if you look the plate is vertical, fully open at rest, that’s how they are.) During EGR operation and regens is when it’s used to create a pressure drop in intake so it can pull exhaust gas through egr cooler/valve.

Intake heaters can be used in place of glow plugs (think Cummins did/does use them?)

Daferris, 6.4s and 6.7s have them as well.

Hope this helps, not trying to be smart a$$ 😁

(can search for diesel egr and dpf operation for more info)

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Its got nothing to do with engine RPM or power control. It is normally wide open (I know the part diagram is just that, but if you look the plate is vertical, fully open at rest, that’s how they are.) During EGR operation and regens is when it’s used to create a pressure drop in intake so it can pull exhaust gas through egr cooler/valve.

Intake heaters can be used in place of glow plugs (think Cummins did/does use them?)

Daferris, 6.4s and 6.7s have them as well.

Hope this helps, not trying to be smart a$$ 😁

(can search for diesel egr and dpf operation for more info)
Thanks for your input. When I looked at the parts drawing, I figured it was not anything to do with power control, but at the very least was a starting aid and warm up device. Didn't know about the emission control aspect of it. Thanks again for the info.

Reactions: 1 user