Lx3310 hard starting

Mooseball22

Equipment
Lx3310
Dec 5, 2021
Montana,usa
I purchased a lx3310 in December of 2020. It has been hard to start after about a month. I live in Montana so had a block heater installed to help with winter starts. I find I have to use the block heater even to start it on a sunny 85 degree day. Once it is started and the engine is warm I can turn it off and it will restart easily. I have taken it to the dealer a couple of times and they are telling me there is an issue with the ECM. They say kubota is working on a fix. Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks in advance for any info on this

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I purchased a lx3310 in December of 2020. It has been hard to start after about a month. I live in Montana so had a block heater installed to help with winter starts. I find I have to use the block heater even to start it on a sunny 85 degree day. Once it is started and the engine is warm I can turn it off and it will restart easily. I have taken it to the dealer a couple of times and they are telling me there is an issue with the ECM. They say kubota is working on a fix. Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks in advance for any info on this
How long are you holding the key switch in the "glow" position before cranking the engine?

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Check the glow plugs to see if they're good. If they are good put a voltmeter on the glow plugs to see how many volts they get. The correct number is about 10.5.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
While whitetiger will know more specifically then me, but this is a brand new model. Are they still using old school glow plugs???

From the info the OP gave about an ecu issue, it may just be a software problem 🤷‍♂️

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Since the LX3310 uses a DI (direct injection) and not a PC (pre combustion) motor. It does not use glow plugs but rather an intake heater grid between the throttle valve and the manifold. It probably is controlled by the ECM and perhaps it's not being commanded on. You can check the resistance of the grid. I do not know what the value should be but it is a heating element so it should show something ( I.E. not 0 ohms and not infinite).
As a general rule DI motors start in cold weather better than a PC motor does. so something is wrong...

Mooseball22

Equipment
Lx3310
Dec 5, 2021
Montana,usa
Since the LX3310 uses a DI (direct injection) and not a PC (pre combustion) motor. It does not use glow plugs but rather an intake heater grid between the throttle valve and the manifold. It probably is controlled by the ECM and perhaps it's not being commanded on. You can check the resistance of the grid. I do not know what the value should be but it is a heating element so it should show something ( I.E. not 0 ohms and not infinite).
As a general rule DI motors start in cold weather better than a PC motor does. so something is wrong...

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
It's helpful to know that Kubota "is working on a fix" for a problem that's been around for a year. The fact that it is hard starting at 85 °F makes me think there is a problem with the fuel metering or injection timing.
Is this a common rail system? If it is, I'd suspect a software problem or possibly a sensor problem. Some of these common rail engines have an injection timing change that occurs as a result of the coolant temperature being above a certain level.
Whatever it is I hope they get you a fix quickly. Winter is coming and you live in Montana.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I cycle the key three or four times each time waiting for the light to go out.
It is strange that it started OK until a month ago. I wonder if the Glow/ Preheat relay has failed and is not actually powering the heater.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
85 hours in 4 months, no such issues here.
high 20's or mid 90's it starts the same every time. Out of my 3 kubotas ive had this one is hands down the smoothest running and smoothest starting of the bunch.

Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The OP says it was a hard starter after a month of being delivered and that was in December of 2020, a year ago.
OK, so it started fine for the first month, now it does not. Something has changed whether it was a month ago or a year ago.

CaptainKirk

Equipment
B7100 LX3310
Jan 24, 2022
Pennsylvania
Mooseball22. My LX3310 is now hard to start, if it will start at all. Problem started suddenly. Just had warranty work done on emissions system. Called dealer, they told me to do parked regen. The problem is it won’t start.
Did you ever get this resolved?

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Mooseball22. My LX3310 is now hard to start, if it will start at all. Problem started suddenly. Just had warranty work done on emissions system. Called dealer, they told me to do parked regen. The problem is it won’t start.
Did you ever get this resolved?
Mine is definitely cold blooded, I would be screwed without the block heater

fat_bike

Equipment
LX3310, BH77 Backhoe, Loader & Bucket LA535, Grapple SCG0660, Forks PFL1242
Apr 30, 2022
Alberta, Canada
I have the LX3310. Bought in fall of 2021. Started fine at first and then it was difficult starting. During winter it would start fine if plugged in (below 0c or 32 F) but without plugging in it was rough to start. Kubota Edmonton called with the factory fix. They came and fixed it and seemed to improve now it is back to rough starting. Thankfully it is spring.

Jeffcall720

Equipment
LX3310 HSDC, LA535 Loader, FDR1660 Rear Finish Mower
May 2, 2021
Hampstead, MD
I've got 100+ hours on my LX3310 Cab, purchased in spring of 2021 - no problems starting in any weather yet, no winter fuel additive, and no block heater, stored in an uninsulated barn. I hope this keeps up for me, and you guys get a more permanent fix soon!

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
A learning moment. There is no "throttle plate" on a diesel engine. Power is controlled by fuel flow

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
actually some of the newer diesel engines do in fact have a throttle plate. It's used in conjunction with the DPF while in regeneration as I understand. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
It’s not a throttle plate, it blocks off the fresh air to pull more exhaust gas through EGR.