Lowering bucket/3-point hitch implements when tractor is off

jsncrso

Equipment
B7500
Jan 28, 2014
OBX, NC
Are you supposed to lower the hitch and bucket when the tractor is turned off? I've heard people say both so which is true? Thanks

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
the obvious reason to lower implements is to prevent accidents... the last thing you want is for one of your kids to be playing under the bucket while the other one up on the seat plays with the controls...
other than that, dropping implements also removes hydraulic pressure from the system components, seals etc. no reason to subject things to hydraulic pressure for days on end.

just MHO.

Pete

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
the obvious reason to lower implements is to prevent accidents... the last thing you want is for one of your kids to be playing under the bucket while the other one up on the seat plays with the controls...
other than that, dropping implements also removes hydraulic pressure from the system components, seals etc. no reason to subject things to hydraulic pressure for days on end.

just MHO.

Pete
I have an uncle that is missing 2/3 of his left foot. When he was 12 he and a friend were playing around a tractor that was left with the bottom plows up. His friend was making believe that he was operating it, hit the 3pt lever dropping them on my uncles foot. End of foot, end of story.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Are you supposed to lower the hitch and bucket when the tractor is turned off? I've heard people say both so which is true? Thanks
Is your question more about lowering the implement while the tractor is still running vs lowering it after you have killed the engine?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
100% agree, always set the implements and bucket on the ground!

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I think the question the OP is asking is lower everything with engine off or running. I have been told it doesn't matter one way or the other. If I think about it I lower them before I shut it down, if not I drop them afterwards. Just as long as they are lowered when you are not in control of your tractor.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I think the question the OP is asking is lower everything with engine off or running. I have been told it doesn't matter one way or the other. If I think about it I lower them before I shut it down, if not I drop them afterwards. Just as long as they are lowered when you are not in control of your tractor.

Thanks Kubota_Man. At least I'm not the only one that read into the question that way...

I agree that implements must always be lowered. The question as I saw it was about releasing the hydraulic pressure before or after the engine and hydraulic pump was shut down.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I lower and the FEL and 3PH when parking the tractor. Before or after shutting the engine down doesn't matter with the 3ph if the lever is all the way in the down position. I prefer to do the FEL after shutting the engine down. After the bucket is on the ground, several wiggles with the joystick relases all the pressure on all the FEL lines.

jsncrso

Equipment
B7500
Jan 28, 2014
OBX, NC
Sorry for the quickly worded question, I was posting from my phone. In reference to my original question, I was asking if the bucket and hitch with an attached implement should be lowered when you are done working with the tractor for the day. My question was geared more towards if will it damage the tractor but I do see the safety aspects as well now. My grandfather used to always lower his attachments but my dad never did so I was trying to clear up if it's needed or not.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Sorry for the quickly worded question, I was posting from my phone. In reference to my original question, I was asking if the bucket and hitch with an attached implement should be lowered when you are done working with the tractor for the day. My question was geared more towards if will it damage the tractor but I do see the safety aspects as well now. My grandfather used to always lower his attachments but my dad never did so I was trying to clear up if it's needed or not.
It won't damage it- the hydraulic system doesn't know whether the pump is turning or not- load is load. As stated, it keeps the sustained pressure off of seals, but that probably is just a precaution and not a necessity- they are under more pressure when being used than by the static load of an implement or loader. So, the primary reason would be safety, which is enough for me.
It does not hurt anything to relieve pressure when the engine is off- it is simply fluid passing a valve.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Understanding that the original question was about shutting down at end of day, may I offer the following?

If there are external hydraulic lines involved either for removable implements (grapples, post hole digger, baler) or quick disconnect supplemental devices (backhoe, loader), there might be problems releasing and reconnecting male-female sleeve-type quick-connect hydraulic fittings unless ALL hydraulic pressure is relieved from the system.

Do this by first grounding all implements (or in the case of loader or backhoe, setting its stand(s)), shutting off the engine, then repeatedly wiggling all the joysticks and controls through all positions until all hydraulic pressure is off the system.

If a quick-connect equipped line remains charged with pressure, you won't get the two halves back together until the pressure is released.

Caution: don't attempt relieving pressure by beating on the male poppet on a quick-connect fitting. If absolutely necessary, loosen a fitting and release a drop of fluid, maybe two.