Lost Hydraulic fluid

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
Replaced the 2 hydraulic filters this weekend, for my L3200 ended up loosing approx 2-3 cups fluid, but went ok. The magnet had a fair amount of shavings attached, assume this is normal, but not sure how much is normal.

I went to replace the fluid, and was suprised how much it took. Approx 2.75 gallons. Does anyone have any clue how I could have ended up loosing so much? This being my first tractor I wasn't expecting this. Does typical HST / hydraulic systems need to be topped off fairly frequently? I guess I need to watch the sight glass much more frequently

Attachments

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
If it was mine I would investigate to find where the leak is,and fix it,as well as keeping a close eye on the fluid levels

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How long you owned the tractor? When was the last time you checked the fluid level? Maybe your 2-3 cup estimate is OFF!

Could be, you have owned the tractor for a short time, never checked the fluid level, changed fluid...and that's when you discovered they situation.

Add fluid to proper level. Clean tractor with a garden hose.

Nest time, when finished using the tractor part it and put a piece of cardboard under it (like from an appliance) to discover if/where it's coming from.

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
I have 225 hours. (about 50 a season). I must admit I needed to have the problem before I realized I had a problem. The site window was always white, not sure if I ever saw fluid in it. I won't make that mistake again. putting cardboard down later, and will be keeping close eye on the levels.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
In my opinion that is a substantial amount of crud accumulated on the magnet. I just changed engine oil / HST and Hyd. Filter in my MX5200 (first 50 h change). I didn’t hardly have anything on the filter magnet, just very very little fine pasty stuff. Looks to me you’ve got good size chunks of metal attached. I would have it checked out for sure.

Shelbygt660

Feb 27, 2017
echo bay
Is this your first filter change? Should of done one at 50 hours IIRC. If it isn't your first filter change, have you noticed any issues with the unit? Normally all the fillings should have been caught by the first filter change. If not the first then defently the second filter change.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
I paid the dealer to come out and do the 50 hour service, both engine oil and hydraulic. I assume they replaced all the filters, but unfortunatly I was not there when the actual service was done.

I replaced the engine oil once before at approx 100 hours, and again last week. This is the first time I have personally replaced the hydraulic filters (224 hr). I haven't had any issues with the tractor, except increased hst noise and loss of power with the fel that led me to the dealer with recommendation of doing the filter changes. I must say now that the levels are back up to normal, the tractor runs and sounds like it always has again. I bush Hogged about 3 acres this evening and the fluid was still at the same level. Cardboard is down now, will let you all know the results.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Normal to see junk on the magnet. That's quite a bit, that's usually what I see on a 50 hour filter change, but it's not unheard of. Was the filter you removed gray or white? Gray ones are originals, white are replacements.

Does it have a loader? Lot of times a dealer gets rushed and doesn't do a very good job of topping off the hydraulic oil level after installing a loader. That could explain fluid level being low if the filter was gray (never changed).

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
Ok all, Kept the cardboard down for a few days and found a drip. It is slowly dripping from the area where the 4wd/2wd lever attaches to. Looking at it looks like it is a little out of line, but not sure.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City