Losing power on a bx

chief36chevy

Equipment
BX2360
Oct 21, 2018
Annville
I have a BX2360. Last week it started acting up. It starts up find but once it warms up it loses power starts to shut down, even with the throttle wide open.
I have changed the fuel filters, inspected the air filter, and replaced the fuel pump.
Any thoughts?
Chief

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
90% of the time this time of year it's algae or debri in the tank that's causing the issue, try treating the fuel with a biocide /algaecide.

Another issue might be a clogged vent in the cap.

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Injectors or injector pump ? - also you don't say how long B4 it starts giving you trouble , if it's relatively quick it could be exhaust blockage - first I would check pressure on fuel rail though, hopefully they have a port on that model , it would be a quick test

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Injectors or injector pump ? - also you don't say how long B4 it starts giving you trouble , if it's relatively quick it could be exhaust blockage - first I would check pressure on fuel rail though, hopefully they have a port on that model , it would be a quick test

BX's don't have a fuel rail.

This would be the first unit I've ever heard of that has a blocked muffler, if that was the case, it just doesn't happen.

If it had a problem with the injectors or the injection pump, it wouldn't come and go with heating it up. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a BX2360. Last week it started acting up. It starts up find but once it warms up it loses power starts to shut down, even with the throttle wide open.
I have changed the fuel filters, inspected the air filter, and replaced the fuel pump.
Any thoughts?
Chief
I will bet you have a fuel restriction TO the pump....common on the BX series - fuel gauge sending unit "rusts" and small piece swim around in the tank, and block the tube feeding the hose to the filter to the pump.

Pull filter ....allow tank to flow to container, see if flow is interrupted at all as it flows....

report back

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Fuel rail?? lol
I'll bet "floaters in the tank".. Pull off a line from the tank.. closest one to it.. probably the line going INTO the filter & let it drain into a bucket & WATCH the flow.. if it starts to slow down or ur getting "black stuff".. u know its probably algae..
Its NOT uncommon to get stuff in the tank blocking the "feed"..

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
BX's don't have a fuel rail.

This would be the first unit I've ever heard of that has a blocked muffler, if that was the case, it just doesn't happen.

If it had a problem with the injectors or the injection pump, it wouldn't come and go with heating it up. ;)
I was just trying to make sure he checked some basic issues , I've been working on engines for 45yrs and seen a lot of weird problems - including mufflers being partially or completely blocked by many different things - animals storing food & pcs breaking loose and jambing are the most popular that effects the performance and injector pump valves binding after they got hot / debris clogging injectors after they run a short time - that air_ fuel have to get in and out of the engine , I only had limited info so I tried to help him check those 2 situations -said he checked air filter - he'll figure it out - I gave my 2 cents to help someone [emoji111] best of luck

chief36chevy

Equipment
BX2360
Oct 21, 2018
Annville
Thanks guys. You have given me a lot of info to check out next week. I will let you know how I make out. I sure do not want to pull the tank. Some people have stated that it takes 3 hours to remove. But I have a cab on it.
It will take about the same time to act up as it takes to warm up. I do suspect a clogged line but will check the other suggestions also.
Chief

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Fuel rail?? lol
I'll bet "floaters in the tank".. Pull off a line from the tank.. closest one to it.. probably the line going INTO the filter & let it drain into a bucket & WATCH the flow.. if it starts to slow down or ur getting "black stuff".. u know its probably algae..
Its NOT uncommon to get stuff in the tank blocking the "feed"..
Fuel tube , line , hose - you can call it something else if that helps understand - whatever works for you - check to ensure you have good pressure going to your injectors - LOL?? - seriously ,

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuel tube , line , hose - you can call it something else if that helps understand - whatever works for you - check to ensure you have good pressure going to your injectors - LOL?? - seriously ,

Wasn't knocking your efforts to help at all, just the verbiage, it make it easier to troubleshoot when you have the right terms for parts in the system.
Injection lines would be the word, no fuel rail, as that's a common rail term.

The muffler points down, so, as I said, just never hear of an issue with them, and kubota's run notoriously clean to begin with. But yea I will agree "odd things do happen"!

There was a run on here of BX's that "HST's, Differentials, and Clutches" just going out overnight, turns out that tires were going flat and spinning inside the rims, that was a real head scratcher.

Keep helping, every idea adds to the knowledge base. ;)

Last edited:

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Wasn't knocking your efforts to help at all, just the verbiage, it make it easier to troubleshoot when you have the right terms for parts in the system.
Injection lines would be the word, no fuel rail, as that's a common rail term.

The muffler points down, so, as I said, just never hear of an issue with them, and kubota's run notoriously clean to begin with. But yea I will agree "odd things do happen"!

There was a run on here of BX's that "HST's, Differentials, and Clutches" just going out overnight, turns out that tires were going flat and spinning inside the rims, that was a real head scratcher.

Keep helping, every idea adds to the knowledge base. ;)
Very Good, I have 3 kubota pcs - ZD28, L3010, KX91-3 and at 1 time or another I run across something unusual, I try to remind people to not overlook the easy basics first - as soon as something goes wrong most think the worst case scenario - after all my yrs I catch myself doing once in awhile , thx for the msg - I'm always looking to help and asking for help as well , nobody knows it all - especially if you have limited information to work with & the problem isn't in front of you !

chief36chevy

Equipment
BX2360
Oct 21, 2018
Annville
I just want to thank all that help with my problem.
After changing the filters and pump I still was not getting fuel out of the line.
With a limited number of things to check I had to pull my fuel tank.
What I found was that the fuel line was pinched between the tank and the HST. I installed a new line and put it all back together.