Looks like my block heater crapped the bed…

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Confirmed this morning. Got my hand on it after being plugged in for 15 minutes and it was cold. Given it’s already installed, how hard is it to swap with a new one? This and the last two me were dealer installed…first one and new and this one some years later when BX was in for service. This is a BX25dlb.Does the heater unscrew from the part on the block or does the wired unit unscrew from that part?
Going to the dealer now anyways so I will find out hopefully

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Don't have a block heater installed so I could offer no insight.
I imagine there are others with nothing to contribute.
And you only gave it less than 3 hrs.
Most people are at work now.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Could it be the AC cord (one or more open wires)?
Did you measure the DC resistance of the heater element and confirm it's blown open?
Shall we ask more questions and also receive a sarcastic "no reply" <TIC>

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The one on my old BX22 was screwed in and took a 22MM socket if I remember correctly to install it. The one on my BX23S is a press fit, and all it takes is a hammer and a drift pin to install it. Never had one fail so I never had to replace one. The only reason that I could think of it failing is that the coolant level was low, and the heat couldn't be dissipated.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Could it be the AC cord (one or more open wires)?
Did you measure the DC resistance of the heater element and confirm it's blown open?
Shall we ask more questions and also receive a sarcastic "no reply" <TIC>
I bought a new block heater kit and tried the new AC cord into the element…no go. Without checking the DC resistance I’m assuming it’s open. Do you happen to know what the reading should be? Just no continuity? I can put a meter across the element pins but have not yet. I can also put a meter on the brand new one and see what that reads.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
The one on my old BX22 was screwed in and took a 22MM socket if I remember correctly to install it. The one on my BX23S is a press fit, and all it takes is a hammer and a drift pin to install it. Never had one fail so I never had to replace one. The only reason that I could think of it failing is that the coolant level was low, and the heat couldn't be dissipated.
This one is pressed in as well. Not a job a I want to tackle during the winter as it entails draining the coolant and because I have the snowblower attached, I can’t remove the cowling…not much room to work with the cowling in place. I just spread the side out enough to get a hand in there to unplug the AC pigtail. When The blower comes off in the spring, I’ll tackle the element change.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I bought a new block heater kit and tried the new AC cord into the element…no go. Without checking the DC resistance I’m assuming it’s open. Do you happen to know what the reading should be? Just no continuity? I can put a meter across the element pins but have not yet. I can also put a meter on the brand new one and see what that reads.
Just check for continuity. IF there is none then the element is 'open' (burned out) just like a water heater element.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I had the block heater fail on my BX25D at 94 hours. I was leaving it plugged in and on (during the winter months) when I wasn't using the tractor. The local dealer gave me a new one at no cost since it was covered under warranty and I installed it myself.

Here's the entry I made in the maintenance spreadsheet. Notice the resistance across the terminals.

block_heater(2).jpg

block_heater.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
See my post above. Should be 30 ohms across the element terminals.

Reactions: 1 users

BX'r

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 13, 2020
ipsc
I went through two and then added a timer for the third block heater . It will heat up for twenty minutes then turn off for five and then cycle again.
The small space in the block doesn't contain enough water to prevent the heater from burning out.

Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
No replies! Thanks!
I found out what needs to be done so I’m good to go.
What’s the rush if you aren’t even going to fix it this winter? Snowblower is easy to take off and put back on.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: what resistance ?
how to calculate...

take 400 watts / 120 volts = 3.3333333333333333 amps
then 120v / 3.3 amps = 36 ohms

So somewhere between 30 to 40 ohms would be 'normal'
No one has exactly 120 volt AC power, it actually varies a lot.

If you have a 'Kill-A-Watt' energy meter, you can measure the actual current being used. If it's zero...heater is busted.... 3-4 amps it's working.

Reactions: 2 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
What’s the rush if you aren’t even going to fix it this winter? Snowblower is easy to take off and put back on.
I didn’t know at the time that it was going to be more of a job than I wanted to tackle in the cold. Maybe taking off the snowblower and quick hitch is easy for you but for me it’s not. Bad knees and hips and arthritis in my hands make it a chore that is not happily anticipated. Your mileage may vary.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One possible option...
... add a lower rad hose style heater ?
I have no idea what 'access' you have,or how easy ,just thinking about options.