Lookng at purchasing a 2010 L5240 tech question/opinion

wannaride

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Mar 16, 2024
Michigan
Hey everyone. I'm new to the group. I have an l3600 I bought back in 2001 and have worked the heck out of it and it's been a great reliable machine. Looking at adding a newer to me model. The unit I'm looking at is a 2010 l5240 enclosed cab ac et. It is hst drive. Has roughly 1400 hours on it, and is in a dealers lot. The question I have is the dealer said complete hst drive has been replaced by them and upgraded to 60 series. They said about 100 hours ago it came in with catastrophic hst failure, metal shavings in fluid etc so they replaced the whole hst system. Not sure what would even cause this. Wondering if this is something to be overly concerned about or with the whole new system should it be fine, well as fine as a used unit can be. It is extremely clean other than the failure they described and repaired. I can't find anything about hst failure being a common issue. Any input greatly appreciated.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hey everyone. I'm new to the group. I have an l3600 I bought back in 2001 and have worked the heck out of it and it's been a great reliable machine. Looking at adding a newer to me model. The unit I'm looking at is a 2010 l5240 enclosed cab ac et. It is hst drive. Has roughly 1400 hours on it, and is in a dealers lot. The question I have is the dealer said complete hst drive has been replaced by them and upgraded to 60 series. They said about 100 hours ago it came in with catastrophic hst failure, metal shavings in fluid etc so they replaced the whole hst system. Not sure what would even cause this. Wondering if this is something to be overly concerned about or with the whole new system should it be fine, well as fine as a used unit can be. It is extremely clean other than the failure they described and repaired. I can't find anything about hst failure being a common issue. Any input greatly appreciated.
Good day.

To me it would depend on whether the dealer stands behind their work or not…Do they offer any sort of warranty / guarantee on the new HST system? Or is a mailbox type warranty? 😉

wannaride

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Mar 16, 2024
Michigan
Good day.

To me it would depend on whether the dealer stands behind their work or not…Do they offer any sort of warranty / guarantee on the new HST system? Or is a mailbox type warranty? 😉
Thanks , ya I asked about any warranty on the repair, they said since it's been a while since it was done it doesn't have any warranty but then followed up with "now if you were to have any problem we would take care of it". They do have very good reviews as a kubota dealer but no written warranty. Hmm

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks , ya I asked about any warranty on the repair, they said since it's been a while since it was done it doesn't have any warranty but then followed up with "now if you were to have any problem we would take care of it". They do have very good reviews as a kubota dealer but no written warranty. Hmm
Does that mean they are willing to work on it, for a fee…or they will cover it it at no charge to you? Those are very different interpretations of the comment that affect your pocket. Personally I’d want it in writing…it’s not my money or anything, but what is the reason not to put a promissory note on the invoice if you were to buy it? They are out nothing if they really are willing to take care of it. Honestly all the risk is in your hands, not theirs. I’d want it specified in writing before I handed them the cash/check. JMHO.

Reactions: 1 user

wannaride

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Mar 16, 2024
Michigan
They showed me the repair paper work of the complete system replacement. They said they couldn't narrow down a specific cause of failure so they decided to just replace entire system. My 3600 is gst so I'm not familiar with hst systems. Just can't figure out what would cause a compete failure, they mentioned possible operater induced failure but the unit looks very clean and un-abused from a visual point. . But also with a whole new system is it good to go?? Is what's got me.

wannaride

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Mar 16, 2024
Michigan
Does that mean they are willing to work on it, for a fee…or they will cover it it at no charge to you? Those are very different interpretations of the comment that affect your pocket. Personally I’d want it in writing…it’s not my money or anything, but what is the reason not to put a promissory note on the invoice if you were to buy it? They are out nothing if they really are willing to take care of it. Honestly all the risk is in your hands, not theirs. I’d want it specified in writing before I handed them the cash/check. JMHO.
See that's what is got me on the fence. If they would pit it writing it most likely already be on my trailer. But all they can tell me is they aren't in the business of leaving a customer with a bad purchase which then I come back with why not put it in writing. Even if for only so many hours or months. I think I will see one more time if they can give me something in writing. I wouldn't think that would be a problem if they are confident in the repair.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
See that's what is got me on the fence. If they would pit it writing it most likely already be on my trailer. But all they can tell me is they aren't in the business of leaving a customer with a bad purchase which then I come back with why not put it in writing. Even if for only so many hours or months. I think I will see one more time if they can give me something in writing. I wouldn't think that would be a problem if they are confident in the repair.
Agreed…id pull the check book out and ask them to put a note on the invoice so you can write the check. There is no risk to them if they mean what they said…all risk is on you even if they make the note on invoice. They could go out of business next week and the note means nothing. It’s a Roll the dice IMO. 🎲

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I guess you could have a condition of writing the check if/when they provide written support of HST repair within a particular time. Or, deduct 2K off of already discussed price so you have a cushion for any problems.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
100 hours could be a year or more. It's unusual to warranty repair work for extended periods. I can see why they wouldn't explicitly promise it, they only fixed what they fixed, they can't give a new tractor warranty on a 15 year old machine.

My view, it's worth less than a machine that hasn't had a major failure, because there's a risk they didn't fix everything and there's some residual issue. Conversely, it's got near new components in it, and the 60 series HST is probably a bit better than the 40.

The Grand L is an excellent machine. If this one costs the same as any other one, then perhaps you could wait for another to come up. If there aren't a lot of options near you and/or you're OK with the risk, then I'd just negotiate hard on price, and take the risk. If you're worried about it, don't buy it and wait for the next one.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I have a hard time believing that 40 and 60 series internal HST parts are directly replaceable in a 40 series case. I’d pass myself. Take a look at both 30 and 40 series Ls if you want at an upgrade from your 00. Finding one with under 1000 hrs isn’t too terribly hard, but it might take a bit to find one that large, with a cab.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Cars, trucks, or tractors I would pass on one with that sort of history unless the price was incredibly low and evenbthen I would be conflicted. Its an unwarranted Pig in a Poke. To the credit of the dealer they did disclose the history.

Your money not mine.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There are others in the used marketplace!
Look ELSEWHERE!
It just ain't worth the risk!

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
2010 l5240 with 1400 hrs and catastrophic hst failure. The new bigger hst installed at the dealer then another 100hrs put on to then sell or trade it back in to the same dealer??? Has me thinking.
I get why the dealer wouldn’t warranty the work that was done in the past but I’d hope the price of the tractor reflects it. We ain’t in Covid pricing anymore. I’d go with my gut on this one.

wannaride

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Mar 16, 2024
Michigan
Thanks for the input everyone. Pretty much all of the thoughts mentioned are exactly the ones I've been wrestling with. And i defintely agree I would never expect a warranty on this old of a machine but i sure would feel more confident about the repair work if just the repair parts and diagnosis alone had some sort of warranty. Atleast for a short period.
The price is decent for the machine in my area. It's slightly lower than comparable machines but not much. This one has basically everything im looking for. Enclosed cab, dual hydros on the rear, more hp, etc. I guess it boils down to, and maybe not fair of me to think that if the dealer isn't confident enough in the diag and repair for atleast a few hours of warranty on those repairs then maybe I should Proceed with caution. I could be wrong in that line of thinking. I do have alot of respect for the dealer telling me the situation right up front which does give me confidence in the dealership on that level. Really wish i was more familiar with the hst system. Im gonna have to continue to do some more research on this hst failure situation. With my minimal knowledge it would seem that if everything was replaced there shouldn't be anything left on the machine that would have caused the failure. Maybe I'm thinking wrong again.
In the end seeing it all typed out and hearing everyone's input makes me question if I'm just trying to sell myself. Tough, tough decision. Thanks again for all the responses. You never know when you join a new group if your just going to get roasted or get some actual feedback and this group has pleasantly responded with the latter. Much appreciated!

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
You’re welcome. Good luck with the decision.

I lurked here for a while before I joined. The general caliber of the responses is one of the reasons I joined. Every once in a while things get of track, but that’s part of what happens when there is a diverse group of folks participating. We all have different life experiences.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Since the dealer is open with the situation ask to contact the previous owner and then pick his brain. What happened, why, what did the dealer do, how long did the repair take, how did the tractor operate after the repair, why did you then sell it?

You're going to plop down some serious funds, make sure you eliminate as many "wish I would haves" as possible before doing so.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You’re welcome. Good luck with the decision.

I lurked here for a while before I joined. The general caliber of the responses is one of the reasons I joined. Every once in a while things get of track, but that’s part of what happens when there is a diverse group of folks participating. We all have different life experiences.
Yup,.....every group has an nasty/angry wacko, or two,....... but this group is the best of the best.

wannaride

Equipment
Kubota L3600
Mar 16, 2024
Michigan
Since the dealer is open with the situation ask to contact the previous owner and then pick his brain. What happened, why, what did the dealer do, how long did the repair take, how did the tractor operate after the repair, why did you then sell it?

You're going to plop down some serious funds, make sure you eliminate as many "wish I would haves" as possible before doing so.
Agreed. He said previous owner traded in for a larger machine. I have no reason to not believe them, they seem to be forthcoming so far and they do have good reviews. Maybe that's the reason for the failure is they were using it for something that required a larger tractor and over worked the system for too long. I don't know. It looks really clean. Defintley doesn't appear abused or neglected from a visual stance. Appears well taken care of. I may ask if I can speak to the previous owner for some insight. Like I mentioned it seems like if they replaced the entire system it should eliminate what ever caused the failure i would think. Heck I don't know.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Agreed. He said previous owner traded in for a larger machine. I have no reason to not believe them, they seem to be forthcoming so far and they do have good reviews. Maybe that's the reason for the failure is they were using it for something that required a larger tractor and over worked the system for too long. I don't know. It looks really clean. Defintley doesn't appear abused or neglected from a visual stance. Appears well taken care of. I may ask if I can speak to the previous owner for some insight. Like I mentioned it seems like if they replaced the entire system it should eliminate what ever caused the failure i would think. Heck I don't know.
I feel like if it was me I'd buy it if the price was right. Probably a few grand under what others are going for given history. If you're only asking for a few hours of warranty, that's probably reasonable on any used equipment sold from a dealer. Not sure if you need it in writing or just a handshake, depends how you feel.

You don't need to take the risk, if it doesn't feel right don't do it. But if it does feel right but you're just nervous, work out what the minimum is to make you not nervous.

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I believe you mentioned they do not know why the original HST gear went gunnybag. So…I don’t suppose anyone knows for sure it wasn’t a minor manufacturering error in the original case everything got put back into. Probably a very low chance of that, probably a little bit lower than the HST gearing fragging and no one knowing why.