Looking for "Temporary Garage" Recommendations

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
I have been been planning on building a 20'x20' shed for about 6 months now. Anywho, It's not looking like I will be getting around to it this year. If anything I may have the opportunity to get the slab poured. So, in the interim, I'd like to purchase one of those Fabric shelters. I know nothing about them, and frankly hate the look of them. But I'll get over that as I do not want my tractor sitting outside in the elements next winter. Right now she sleeps in my garage while my truck sleeps outside. This needs to change soon. So, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with any certain brand of these temporary structures and if they would recommend that brand or not.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I bought the Harbor Freight 16' unit, it was about $170 (on sale) and I had a 20% off coupon. I've had it two years now.
It comes with screw in stakes to keep it in place. I never close the 'door' to prevent the build up of humidity. It is a Shelter Logic 'building' but their cheapest material. If it lasts five years and I have to replace it, it will still be a good deal. I did the tarp thing for the first five months as well, a total PITA.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-63055.html

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
The basic shelter logic, etc units are not rated for snow load. I have had a 10x15 unit for two years. Have been keeping it clear of snow. This last storm with heavy snow did start some tearing where it is stretched over the frame.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
you could try a 'hoop house' - put rebar in the ground like a stake, use PVC or conduit and slip over rebar on both sides of 'garage' to make a big hoop.

You can cover with plastic for greenhouses, good for 4-6 years, or i've heard of people using old billboard material (some are paper, some are big tarps - you need the tarps) and those are good for a long time.

Ends are 2x4's and plastic or wood walls, etc.

many companies sell the kits, components, supplies, etc.

this is one with a pic of what i'm talking about https://www.growerssolution.com/pag..._k5cSKts1PTrzIsNIajiVLeCVrN8ot4xoCsZEQAvD_BwE

A wedding venue here is a former nursery and is using one for his tractors and skid loader and such.
they cna take the snow.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was at a garage sale and saw that the guy had one of those cloth covered garages with the pipe hoops for support. The cloth had rotted away, so he took this flexible fence rail like this
http://www.rammfence.com/fence/flex-fence-for-horses/525-inch-plus-flex-fence
and recovered it. Starting at the bottom, he took a wrap around the pipe at one end, then wrapped three sides, attaching it with self tapping screws, & laying the next band above it kinda like shingles. He wrapped the whole framework all the way to top. It must have taken a couple of miles of he stuff. It looked good, and appeared to be waterproof, made nice open ended garage.

Attachments

Last edited:

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
http://www.rhinoshelters.com/instant-garages/9-barn-style-20ft.html

I had this for about 4 years and it stood up excellent. Held a couple feet of snow with no collapse. Has 3 layer cover that stands up to the UV. Sold it after I built my garage and expect it to serve the new owner for many years to come. You get what you pay for when it comes to these tempoary structures.

retyred57

Equipment
L3901 HST, Ag tires, LA525 FEL, Landpride 66" boxblade, BE 60" rotary cutter
Aug 3, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I have a Shelter Logic 12'X24'X10'. All that's left is the frame, the cover lasted about 4 1/2 years before tearing and eventually disintegrating from UV rays, wind and snow. I got a few extra years out of it using extra tarps from Canadian Tire (1 yr) and TSC (2 yr). I probably spent about $700 - $800 in total, should have used that money towards a proper building. If you go this route, make sure it is well anchored and don't let the snow build up too deep, remember it is a "temporary" shelter. Plan on a real building down the road!

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I have been been planning on building a 20'x20' shed for about 6 months now. Anywho, It's not looking like I will be getting around to it this year. If anything I may have the opportunity to get the slab poured. So, in the interim, I'd like to purchase one of those Fabric shelters. I know nothing about them, and frankly hate the look of them. But I'll get over that as I do not want my tractor sitting outside in the elements next winter. Right now she sleeps in my garage while my truck sleeps outside. This needs to change soon. So, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with any certain brand of these temporary structures and if they would recommend that brand or not.
look into a 20X8 shipping container. should run $1500 to $2000 depending on shipping. weather tight and rodent proof. been using them for 20 years with on issues, other than a break-in.

Joe Z

Equipment
B7100 Box Blade, 5' Rake, 1 tooth drag, Quick Hitch
Mar 9, 2018
Phoenix
I third those shipping containers.... Out here in this Arizona sun those fabric building deteriorate very quickly from UV exposure.
Containers are waterproof and rodent free and can be customized with doors and windows if wanted