Looking for Snowblower!!!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Where do you find chains for the tires at? I have turf tires also
If yours is a 4wd model, I doubt you will need chains for your turf tires (R3). As I mentioned, turfs seem to do better than R1 (ag) or R4 (industrial) tires for snowblowing.

It seems counterintuitive -- R1 and R4 have nice big deep lugs designed to dig into mud and get traction whereas the shallow grooves of turf tires quickly pack full of mud and spin in similar conditions.

But the conditions are not similar.

Unless you have a pull-behind blower, the tractor is not driving through the deep snow, it's driving on the cleared roadway, following in the path of the blower. So there's nothing for those deep treads to dig into. The treadblocks are separated by wide grooves designed to empty themselves of mud, so there is much less rubber actually in contact with a hard surface like the road (or ice). Chains can help, since they are harder and rougher so they can dig in a little bit. Arguably, studs do a better job than chains on ice or hard-packed snow since they dig in even better.

Now compare that to R3 turf tires. They are specifically designed NOT to dig in, but to have good floatation. They are wider and while the treadblocks are much shallower with narrow groove between them, there's many more of them so the tire can deform a bit around the terrain. A lot more rubber is in contact with the road (or ice) so they can grip ice and snow. Add in 4wd for maximum traction.

My drive includes a hill that can get quite icy at times. I have never had any traction problem blowing up that hill, even with glare ice underneath the snow. I also drive it down onto the lake and clear a large skating surface for the grandkids. The only time I ran into a problem was pushing back a neighbour's mounds at the sides of her drive. I went a little too wide and sank into the snowfilled ditch up to the axle when I tried to lift the blower with the 3ph. I had to pull it out with the truck. I'm not sure if even deep lug tires would have helped.

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
If yours is a 4wd model, I doubt you will need chains for your turf tires (R3). As I mentioned, turfs seem to do better than R1 (ag) or R4 (industrial) tires for snowblowing.

It seems counterintuitive -- R1 and R4 have nice big deep lugs designed to dig into mud and get traction whereas the shallow grooves of turf tires quickly pack full of mud and spin in similar conditions.

But the conditions are not similar.

Unless you have a pull-behind blower, the tractor is not driving through the deep snow, it's driving on the cleared roadway, following in the path of the blower. So there's nothing for those deep treads to dig into. The treadblocks are separated by wide grooves designed to empty themselves of mud, so there is much less rubber actually in contact with a hard surface like the road (or ice). Chains can help, since they are harder and rougher so they can dig in a little bit. Arguably, studs do a better job than chains on ice or hard-packed snow since they dig in even better.

Now compare that to R3 turf tires. They are specifically designed NOT to dig in, but to have good floatation. They are wider and while the treadblocks are much shallower with narrow groove between them, there's many more of them so the tire can deform a bit around the terrain. A lot more rubber is in contact with the road (or ice) so they can grip ice and snow. Add in 4wd for maximum traction.

My drive includes a hill that can get quite icy at times. I have never had any traction problem blowing up that hill, even with glare ice underneath the snow. I also drive it down onto the lake and clear a large skating surface for the grandkids. The only time I ran into a problem was pushing back a neighbour's mounds at the sides of her drive. I went a little too wide and sank into the snowfilled ditch up to the axle when I tried to lift the blower with the 3ph. I had to pull it out with the truck. I'm not sure if even deep lug tires would have helped.
Yeah I have the 4wd model. I appreciate all the info.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Appreciate all the info, I picked up at 50" rear mount. Anyone have any info on where to find a block heater at?
Any automotive store should have them. You want one for 1-1/4" hose and install it in the lower radiator hose. It's a tight fit since the hose is short with bends close together and the side shield is very close. Last winter when mine died during the midst of the supply chain issues, they were out of stock anywhere I called, but I found this one on Amazon and installed it:
It was a bit wider than my original and I had to dent the side shield out a bit but it's in there and it works.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Personally, I prefer the block heaters that mount in the block vs the lower radiator hose. Check to see what was originally available for your engine, and then decide which way you want to go. Cutting the lower hose to get the heater into place sometimes creates more grief than the average person wants to deal with.