Looking at a l2850

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
@North Idaho Wolfman (because he is knowledgeable about the -50 series Ls), and all.

An L2850 was offered for sale in my area on Saturday. I've had convos with the owner, a principal driver, and the sales rep for the owner, and got a few marginally useful pictures. It's 4WD.

The pictures tell me that:
- The tractor has been stored indoors most of its life
- Owner was not a mechanic, was a cobbler (he volunteered as much when I spoke to him)
- Seat trashed
- There's a pretty good dent straight across the bottom of the grille
- Has 3-point hitch, including top link.
- At least 3 newish Ag tires

The owner estimated that it has 5000-5500 easy hours on it - was just used to pull a tobacco wagon and a fertilizer spreader.

Principal driver told me that:
- 3-point doesn't work (in pics, it's in the full-down position).
- will shut off after 30 minutes run time
- he has investigated fuel starvation, and thinks there's a problem in the tank, or injector pump
- it has some rust from scattered fertilizer on the back end that he's "tack-welded".
- he attempted to bypass some fault in the starting circuit by installing a "push-button". To start the tractor now, you touch two bare wires together.

Pros:
- I really like this model, as it has a V1702-DI engine (perfect for turbocharging)
- Newish (Ag) tires
- Front sheet metal straight, with well-preserved factory paint (dent is an easy fix)
- 3-point hitch

Cons:
- 3-point hitch doesn't work
- LOTSA hours on it
- Rust issues: seat back is completely rusted through. Square-tube crossmember that supports fenders and hydraulic couplers in the back is rusted off where it joins the fenders.

It sounds to me like the fuel delivery issue is attributable to filters (driver did not mention filters). That and a lot of dirt/contamination in the tank. [Suggesting lax maintenance.]

I didn't bother to ask about how the engine runs (power, smoke, etc, etc.), because I'm dealing with people who seem to have very little mechanical aptitude. But, I did get "runs good", of course...

I think my biggest question is about possible faults that would cause the 3-point to be inoperable. What's the worst-case scenario, and what does that entail? Splitting the tractor?

At this point, I am NOT inclined to accept the seller's offer of $4500, especially since the tractor is 40 gallons of diesel fuel away from me. I am thinking about offering $2000, and settling for $2500. I mean, $4500 is a very reasonable price...for a machine that is not too far away and not going to require another $1000 and 80 hours of labor to make it fully functional.

Opinions?
Thoughts?
Advice, even?

Thanks,
-Paul

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Their price is not far off the mark, I think you'll get quickly shot down at $2k, Scrap value is higher than that!
The three point does not require a split to fix even if it's a major issue, the case comes off the top.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
he attempted to bypass some fault in the starting circuit by installing a "push-button". To start the tractor now, you touch two bare wires together.
he has investigated fuel starvation, and thinks there's a problem in the tank, or injector pump
I'm dealing with people who seem to have very little mechanical aptitude. But, I did get "runs good", of course...
Sure don’t sound good. At least some of those 5500 hours weren’t so easy if they broke the 3ph lol. You can bet a lack of maintenance considering their fix’s and troubleshooting plus non owner operated. If after it’s 30 min it shuts down will it start right back up or does it have to cool down to be restarted.
maybe see if they could send ya a video of it running. Id want more info on the motor especially since you’ve mentioned turbochargers lol. I’d be more worried about the motor and gears then the 3ph. Sounds like it could be a great project though depending on what’s involved. Especially at 2000ish bucks but I doubt your gonna get it that low. If it was running and working properly it would prob be able to get 7-10k mark around me. Maybe more. Not looking pretty or anything just working
If I had to do motor and split the tractor plus it sounds like rebuild 3ph (worst case) the rust issue then I’d probably walk away at 4500. Those are just the things ya already know. Starting/electrical and fuel systems also on the list. If it has all working gears and the motor truly runs good then it could be a contender. Either way your probably gonna have to look at it in person to truly feel it out.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sure don’t sound good. At least some of those 5500 hours weren’t so easy if they broke the 3ph lol. You can bet a lack of maintenance considering their fix’s and troubleshooting plus non owner operated. If after it’s 30 min it shuts down will it start right back up or does it have to cool down to be restarted.
maybe see if they could send ya a video of it running. Id want more info on the motor especially since you’ve mentioned turbochargers lol. I’d be more worried about the motor and gears then the 3ph. Sounds like it could be a great project though depending on what’s involved. Especially at 2000ish bucks but I doubt your gonna get it that low. If it was running and working properly it would prob be able to get 7-10k mark around me. Maybe more. Not looking pretty or anything just working
If I had to do motor and split the tractor plus it sounds like rebuild 3ph (worst case) the rust issue then I’d probably walk away at 4500. Those are just the things ya already know. Starting/electrical and fuel systems also on the list. If it has all working gears and the motor truly runs good then it could be a contender. Either way your probably gonna have to look at it in person to truly feel it out.
NEVER buy without first looking!
I just drove 6 hours RT, to look at a 3 year old 295 hour 2021 M62 for a friend.
It was excellent and (we) HE bought it!
It was a LOT more than $4,500 too!

Reactions: 1 user

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies so far, gents!!!

I looked carefully at the pictures again, and the paint & decals on this thing are factory-fresh! Plastic lenses are roached. [needs LEDs anyway] I could not see a speck of rust on the wheels, inside or out, but I could only see about half of two of them. Foot plates are worn through, of course. Kinda goes to fried's assertion to go look. If I go look at it, I'll be dragging a trailer. That leverages the seller ("you don't want to go home EMPTY!") and it leverages me (geez, I just spent $100 on diesel to get here!).

I bought my G1800 sight-unseen. What emboldened me the most? The hour-meter. With this L2850, that's out-the-window. Heck, a lot of hour-meters on used tractors are broken anyway.

Wolfman: I doubt these people even understand the concept of "scrap" metal. [Me, I sold my crushed beer cans on Friday. For $9.20.] Given your in-depth knowledge of the L-50 series, what would be your first rule-out on the non-functional 3-point? I can't even begin to imagine what it might be. Busted gear? Roached bearing? No fluid?!?!? [Just occurred to me - THAT's probably the most likely answer!]

Hkb82: Loved your response! Ya, lack of maintenance is KILLER! My G1800 had been neglected, but I got hold of that tractor early enough. I didn't ask the guy how long he had to wait before the L2850 engine would restart. But, he implied that it is an easy start, cold. Good idee on the video, but the sellers are very limited in tech capability. But, I'll try. One thing about a turbo is that it can compensate for ring blow-by!

Ya, I've been looking down 5-$figure L-50s left-and-right lately. In July, I let a L2350 with a loader go for $12K (as back-bidder).

I'll start limbering up the trailer...

-Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the replies so far, gents!!!

I looked carefully at the pictures again, and the paint & decals on this thing are factory-fresh! Plastic lenses are roached. [needs LEDs anyway] I could not see a speck of rust on the wheels, inside or out, but I could only see about half of two of them. Foot plates are worn through, of course. Kinda goes to fried's assertion to go look. If I go look at it, I'll be dragging a trailer. That leverages the seller ("you don't want to go home EMPTY!") and it leverages me (geez, I just spent $100 on diesel to get here!).

I bought my G1800 sight-unseen. What emboldened me the most? The hour-meter. With this L2850, that's out-the-window. Heck, a lot of hour-meters on used tractors are broken anyway.

Wolfman: I doubt these people even understand the concept of "scrap" metal. [Me, I sold my crushed beer cans on Friday. For $9.20.] Given your in-depth knowledge of the L-50 series, what would be your first rule-out on the non-functional 3-point? I can't even begin to imagine what it might be. Busted gear? Roached bearing? No fluid?!?!? [Just occurred to me - THAT's probably the most likely answer!]

Hkb82: Loved your response! Ya, lack of maintenance is KILLER! My G1800 had been neglected, but I got hold of that tractor early enough. I didn't ask the guy how long he had to wait before the L2850 engine would restart. But, he implied that it is an easy start, cold. Good idee on the video, but the sellers are very limited in tech capability. But, I'll try. One thing about a turbo is that it can compensate for ring blow-by!

Ya, I've been looking down 5-$figure L-50s left-and-right lately. In July, I let a L2350 with a loader go for $12K (as back-bidder).

I'll start limbering up the trailer...

-Paul
Could you temporarily drop, and chain the trailer, at a gas station/police station/Walmart, etc.?, for an hour or two?

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
NEVER buy without first looking!
I almost never would and I sure wasn’t implying anybody do. To be fair that 2021 m62 and this best case 1992 l2850 is a difference of 30 years. Not really comparable. I sold my ford to a fellow and never saw him once. He was far away like 7-8hrs round trip. Gave him a bunch of video plus over the phone calls he knew more about the tractor then I did he made me an offer if I’d deliver it. Not really wanting to take it 4hrs to be told it wasn’t what he thought I priced out having it delivered. Was 1000 bucks so I dropped the price he offered and he was happy to pay for it upfront and arrange for the trucking. He has a bunch of the old classic fords so he was super comfortable and I was super honest including any videos he wanted. I was pretty shocked to get what I did for it but understand why he wanted it. It had nothing wrong with it other then age and wear and tear. Obviously not every situation is gonna go like this but If I couldn’t afford to potentially get burned or worst case scrap iron then obviously not a smart move. I always go with my gut feeling about things. Usually works out. Usually lol

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I also don’t mind to pull an empty trailer home and I’d probably like the price before I drove to look. Or be ready for 4500 and see how it goes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Could be low on fluid, plugged filter, bad pump, maladjusted linkage, something mechanical wrong with the piston or simply the drop speed knob turned to lock.
Really dealers choice at this point. ;)
I don't find fixing three point lifts that complicated or expensive normally.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Thanks again, guys.

AWESOME advice!

I spent some time surfing recent auction results, and yes, if I'm patient, there are bound to be many mo' (better) opportunities in the near future.

i did not have L2850 in my Searches until now, and they are certainly more plentiful in the market than my other choices:
L3450
L3650
L4350

I can see that I've already missed many recent good opportunities...

Long way around of saying I think I'm just going to slowly back away from my approach to this seller.

I'm just not looking for a another big project right now...and, if that engine had say, 2000 hours on it instead of 5000+, I'd be all over it at the offered price.

I like to think of engine hours like this:
Typical driving around here, about all I can average is 40MPH. So, 100,000 miles of "average use" is about 2500 hours of driving. And, so on....

-Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks again, guys.

AWESOME advice!

I spent some time surfing recent auction results, and yes, if I'm patient, there are bound to be many mo' (better) opportunities in the near future.

i did not have L2850 in my Searches until now, and they are certainly more plentiful in the market than my other choices:
L3450
L3650
L4350

I can see that I've already missed many recent good opportunities...

Long way around of saying I think I'm just going to slowly back away from my approach to this seller.

I'm just not looking for a another big project right now...and, if that engine had say, 2000 hours on it instead of 5000+, I'd be all over it at the offered price.

I like to think of engine hours like this:
Typical driving around here, about all I can average is 40MPH. So, 100,000 miles of "average use" is about 2500 hours of driving. And, so on....

-Paul
I use the same rougn guide for hours used.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The rust would probably worry me most of anything. Fertiliser is hard on tractors, and there's a lot of things that can be rusted in the rear end.