Looking at a G1800S

CumminSHO

Aug 16, 2014
Delano, mn
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have been looking into a Kubota Riding lawnmower for some time now. The pocket book is a little bit of a restriction and I want a 3cyd diesel. So I found this G1800 in Dubuque, IA for sale with 2900hrs, asking $800(open to any offer) hydraulic pump needs work and he says it is "weak", but still drives and motor runs good according to him. Machine seems like its in in decent condition based off the pictures. The big question would be would I be better off finding something with lower mileage and save the headache? I do know may way around a wrench and also diesels. Thank you for your time and any advice.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would buy it!
The price is real good and you can get parts for it easy if it needs repairs. :D

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have been looking into a Kubota Riding lawnmower for some time now. The pocket book is a little bit of a restriction and I want a 3cyd diesel. So I found this G1800 in Dubuque, IA for sale with 2900hrs, asking $800(open to any offer) hydraulic pump needs work and he says it is "weak", but still drives and motor runs good according to him. Machine seems like its in in decent condition based off the pictures. The big question would be would I be better off finding something with lower mileage and save the headache? I do know may way around a wrench and also diesels. Thank you for your time and any advice.
Looking at where you are and where IT is, looks to be a good drive to go get it? almost 300 ? The real question is, IF you go and are prepared to buy, then you might be getting a good buy based on what you KNOW right now and hope to find then, IF you drive there with truck/trailer and then see that it is not a "good" buy, deck spindles need work the tranny is slipping, blades need replacing etc..... then you have wasted that $$$ and time. 3000 hours is a good many hours, having said that , it could run another 3000. But it could need new glow plugs or might need injectors....or whatever. If money is tight, then the big question is will you have funds later to "repair" this machine. I would look into the cost of tranny work, will new oil/filter help that? OR if you have to replace pump, what will that add to the cost of machine? Just my 2 cents.

CumminSHO

Aug 16, 2014
Delano, mn
Thank you both for the response. 85Hokie it will be 279mi and a 5hr drive. At some point I would like to see what kind of aftermarket pump/injectors or possible upgrade, but that wont be for a while until I fully get into the Kubota world. Right now I am looking at productivity and how reliable it will be. I agree things could be a lot worse once I get there and not want it and it will be a waste of my time and/or I could throw him $400/$500 cash to recoop my time and fuel cost. Thank you!

CumminSHO

Aug 16, 2014
Delano, mn
My next question would be, if I were to buy and it was not worth my time or if I was over my head could I recoop my loses by parting it out and/or selling as is?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
CumminSHO, If I were driving that distance to hopefully purchase an item there a couple of things I'd do.

1. Ask a lot of questions. How long you owned it? How did you use it, What mechanical repairs have you made? What will I need to do to it to be able to use it? What do you like about it? What do dislike about it? Why you selling it?

By asking questions you'll get a good feel for the item. You'll also get a feeling of how the guy answers the question as to his integrity and honesty.

2. Ask him what is his bottom dollar? If you're satisfied so far, ask him if he will hold it until your agreed time to go get it. You don't want to go on a long drive only to find he already sold it or another guy is on his way and you have to rush into a decision, or somebody is already there walking around it deciding for himself!

3. Tell him you agree to pay the price you discussed based on it being as he represented it when you get there. Tell him, "If it's not as you say I'm not obligated to buy."

This clears a lot of vague areas and makes your trip more rewarding and less stressful.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My next question would be, if I were to buy and it was not worth my time or if I was over my head could I recoop my loses by parting it out and/or selling as is?
Yes worse case scenario you could sell it for parts and make more than a whole. ;)

CumminSHO

Aug 16, 2014
Delano, mn
Thats what I was hoping to hear. This being my first Kubota I would like to enjoy it. Any other advice from you guys would be appreciated, but thank you for all who responded.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Heck if you get it and don't like it or can't get it to run for you I'll take it off your hands, I'd even pay shipping! :D

CumminSHO

Aug 16, 2014
Delano, mn
I like that offer! I cant pass that up. I will keep everyone updated to what I end up doing. Again, thank you everyone for all your responses

CumminSHO

Aug 16, 2014
Delano, mn
Update: The owner was running the mower the other day and said he broke the output shaft on the PTO. He said he would let it go for $500. Is this lawn tractor worth it or should I walk? Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That sounds just odd?? Still worth it in parts but if it's been used that hard I worry what you might run into as a working unit! ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Update: The owner was running the mower the other day and said he broke the output shaft on the PTO. He said he would let it go for $500. Is this lawn tractor worth it or should I walk? Thank you
Sounds like bad news to me.......you sure you want to go almost 600 miles round trip to get her?:) He must have not greased it or hit one hellva rock or something.:(

I wish you the best, Let us know when you get it !:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have yet to decide whether or not I want it. Im really weighing my options and thinking hard if I should or not.
If you have the time, energy and feel that you can get it and fix it up - go for it! Like Wolf said, you can get your money out of it again in parts alone.

Hell, get there and show him 300 cash and see what he says..........
the engine alone is worth 5-10 times that !!!!

CumminSHO

Aug 16, 2014
Delano, mn
I ended up not getting this mower instead I got a cub cadet 102 from a friend and some day I plan on upgrading to a diesel lawn mower tractor. Thank you guys for the advice.