long time looker, first time poster

NHarborist

Equipment
MX4800 with Tajfun winch and grapple. Other attachments for farm use, too.
Dec 20, 2021
NH
New to the site which I have admittedly lurked for a while. Figured it was time to sign up. I do have a question, too. I was just informed to NOT use off road diesel in my MX4800 due to DPF issues. I have just under 900 hours on the machine, it is used almost daily (work and on our farm). I have just dropped it off at a local shop for fluids, filters and just to have someone other than myself give it a once over. They are the ones that have mentioned the off road issue. Is there any merit behind what they are telling me? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
New to the site which I have admittedly lurked for a while. Figured it was time to sign up. I do have a question, too. I was just informed to NOT use off road diesel in my MX4800 due to DPF issues. I have just under 900 hours on the machine, it is used almost daily (work and on our farm). I have just dropped it off at a local shop for fluids, filters and just to have someone other than myself give it a once over. They are the ones that have mentioned the off road issue. Is there any merit behind what they are telling me? Thank you!
No merit whatsoever, I run Off-Road i big Case Pumas with zero DPF issues.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
The only difference between off road diesel and on road is taxes and some red dye. Replace the taxes with red dye and voila.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don't see the problem with DPF as long as it is ULSD fuel. That's all you will find at the pump but maybe not the case for off road use.

Dan

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
As Fordtech stated, at this point it should all be Ultra Low Sulfur. However, if you’re concerned I’d ask whoever supplies your off-road diesel. Sometimes I run on road, sometimes off road. Just depends on which is most convenient and my off road supplier isn’t open weekends so sometimes it just isn’t convenient. Before I bought from them, asked them about sulfur content and they confirmed ULSD.

Only issue I’m aware of would be old v new fuel and/or summer v winter blend in cold areas. If you’re going to buy in bulk and store for a long time, treating to avoid mold, cold gelling, etc. may be needed depending on whether your supplier has already addressed those issues in the blend. If you’re buying from a high volume supplier in small quantities the correct blend for current circumstances shouldn’t be an issue. Avoiding condensation in large outdoor tanks with low amounts of fuel can also be a consideration which might require either not allowing low fuel levels during weather conducive to condensation or putting a water separator on the bulk tank’s output.

I can run mine all day with some to spare with the fuel in the tank plus a six gallon can so keeping a full can in the same climate controlled shop that houses the tractor avoids those issues for me, but I’m aware that’s not practical for all.

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
Off road and on road are the exact same thing other than the red dye which you can actually hear being applied as you are filling the tanker at the refinery rack. Is nothing but wasting money to run clear in your tractor!!

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Hmmm, I wonder if I should file for a Federal Tax credit for all those road taxes I paid on the ~40 gallons I used in my BX this past year. :geek: :geek: :geek:

• Haha

NHarborist

Equipment
Dec 20, 2021
NH
Ok, so this isnt my first time around equipment ( I have been logging and doing residential tree care for close to 20 years) and I felt this guy was feeding my a line a crap just to up their labor charge. This is the first time I have ever brought anything in just for a "service", and the last after this. I started making phone calls and got the same answers as you guys are giving (and as I thought). I feel like I got hosed on the whole service (all fluids, filters, etc.). Never have done it I had nothing to compare it to. Anyways, thanks again and looking forward to more questions and hopefully some answers, too!

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
If you're an excavating company, your tax refunds can be into the thousand each year. :geek:

NHarborist

Equipment
Dec 20, 2021
NH
Heck- I got 25 years worth to claim....

Dan
I do claim all my on road fuel used off road. Its a bit of a pain to itemize for my accountant but we use enough to make it worth the time. And, I dont want to give any more of my money away.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Welcome to the forum! What part of NH are you from?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
No merit whatsoever to that. There are 2 types of diesel...in NH I assume the gas station switches between Number 1 and Number 2 diesel during the major season changes.

#1 is usually better in the Winter because it is thinner. It is also more expensive.
#2 is more efficient and usually cheaper...most use in warmer weather.

You can also just buy #2 and put in your own additive.

What I am not sure of is if they also switch the offroad between #1 and #2. That might be something to ask. I always put my own Winterizer with each fill up regardless.....

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Well guys, you are in luck. You can claim it. You need receipts and form 4136 from the IRS and you are good to go.
The way I read the form 4136 instructions, the credit is only for business use. If you are using considerable fuel for personal use, they get to keep the highway taxes. Years ago, I claimed every cent for non-highway use, can't do it now.

Since electric cars have no tax on their "fuel" we shouldn't pay tax on ours. 😜

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
No merit whatsoever to that. There are 2 types of diesel...in NH I assume the gas station switches between Number 1 and Number 2 diesel during the major season changes.

#1 is usually better in the Winter because it is thinner. It is also more expensive.
#2 is more efficient and usually cheaper...most use in warmer weather.

You can also just buy #2 and put in your own additive.

What I am not sure of is if they also switch the offroad between #1 and #2. That might be something to ask. I always put my own Winterizer with each fill up regardless.....
I get mine from a local company that delivers it when I need it. He goes through his big tank of off-road every 2 weeks. He said they start adding the winter blend Nov. 1st and by Dec. 1st there is 100% winter blend in his tank. I try to time my tank around the same.

I do still add Power Service and Biocide to the tank when it is getting filled. I don't need to fill up too often.