long time looker, first time poster

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Thank you! Lakes region area.
Welcome! I cut my tree work teeth in the seacoast area of NH, 1984,, spent about 8 years there before moving south. Finally retired from tree industry last year, it is good healthy work! Be safe!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
To the original poster, I'd be just contrary enough to get back in touch with the dealer and tell them I've been trying to find the information on fuel usage somewhere and can't. Can you point me in the direction to find it. Very discretely let someone at that shop know you're onto their bluff.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My brother drove tanker truck in Columbus Ohio. There is only one pipeline to carry the diesel fuel into his distrbuter. The only thing that came out of that pipe was either summer or winter diesel. When he dropped off road diesel he had to climb up on the truck and add red die as it was filling the truck so the die could mix with the fuel.

The only diffference is in the price and that is due to the road taxes.

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have oil furnaces in both my house and shop, when this red dye thing started I had both furnace pumps go bad right after the first fill up. The shop furnace was almost new. When I replaced the pumps that red dye had already stained everything it touched. Can't say for sure that the dye caused the failures but it sure didn't help. Apparently there is no control on the quantity and quality of the additives that are dumped in the fuel and saying that the fuel is exactly the same is only a guess.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Apparently there is no control on the quantity and quality of the additives that are dumped in the fuel and saying that the fuel is exactly the same is only a guess.

While I agree that the base diesel fuel is the same, I've always wondered about the dye, the amount added, and if it mattered.

Without going way off topic - ya'll know those torpedo heaters right? They are supposed to use kerosene but people do put diesel in them - usually because diesel is cheaper than kero. I think they stink running diesel however, especially if they're burning off road diesel. Red dye??

I've seen station pumps purportedley selling K1 that is dyed red. To me that's a scam because it must be off road diesel.
What do ya'll think?

NHarborist

Equipment
MX4800 with Tajfun winch and grapple. Other attachments for farm use, too.
Dec 20, 2021
NH
Just buy your fluids and filters from MB tractor or Chappell, and do the service yourself!
This is what I have done previously and will continue to do from here on out. I was on a contract where I did not need the machine and did not have the time. I thought it would be quick turn around and fairly inexpensive. Neither was the case. Live and learn I guess.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I make it a rule to avoid giving the government free loans for a year using after tax money.
My accountant handles all that.

The only thing worse than giving them the money for the year is LETTING THEM KEEP IT.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This is what I have done previously and will continue to do from here on out. I was on a contract where I did not need the machine and did not have the time. I thought it would be quick turn around and fairly inexpensive. Neither was the case. Live and learn I guess.
Dealer service fees are absurd at both car and tractor dealers!
My Kubota L48 TLB, and my Mercedes E-350 have never been dealer serviced while I have owned them.
Both were bought used.

Two years ago, a spark plug replacement quote from a MB dealer was $1034.89.
I bought 6- OEM Bosch plugs, and a small tube of dielectric grease for a total of $64.23.
Not a simple plug swap, so took me almost 3 hours.
I was 79 then.

Reactions: 1 user