Location/number of Interlocks

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
I just picked up a 2003 Kubota G2160. I’m pretty sure there is a problem with the interlocks. Can someone tell me how many there are? And the locations. I’m guessing:
Seat,and brake pedal to start with. I picked it up last now night. It was dark when I got it home, and it’s still on my trailer. I will try to track them down this evening, but was looking for some help. Thanks,

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why don't you start with what's the problem! ;)

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
Ok, sorry. I have limited personal history with this machine. (It was given to me but me mother, who could no longer use it.). It quit running about a year ago. Here is what I’ve been told. A neighbor tried to start it. Could not get starter to turn engine over. Replaced starter. No improvement. I actually just picked it up yesterday, but have been hearing my Mom tell me how much trouble the neighbbor has been having getting it started or about a Year or so. Honestly, I haven’t had more than 10 minutes to look it over, but by looking at the symptoms, I’m thinking it may have something to do with the safety switches, or interlocks. The battery is at least a couple years old, the dash lights come on as they are supposed to. I put it on the charger hopefully to rule that out. Could be just a loose cable connection as well.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The PTO safety switch has been "problematic" at times on those. Grab the lever and pull it back toward the "off" position, if it starts, the switch is bad OR the spring inside the switch is stronger than the lever's return spring...or maybe the spring on the lever is missing.

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
The PTO safety switch has been "problematic" at times on those. Grab the lever and pull it back toward the "off" position, if it starts, the switch is bad OR the spring inside the switch is stronger than the lever's return spring...or maybe the spring on the lever is missing.
I’ll check that. Thanks!

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
Lugbolt got it right! I engaged the PTO handle several times, put in in the off position and hit the key. It tuned over nicely. No fire. Hit key for another 6-8 seconds. No fire. I turned the key to the left, and the lights on the dash went out, looks like I blew a fuse. I’ll figure out which fuse I blues, put new fresh fuel in it and try again. ( I know enough not to use ether on it, but I’m excited that she turned over)

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
Finally had some decent weather to try to get this thing started. Battery is good, starter is turning over motor good. No fire. Not really sure how to check if it’s gettimg fuel. HAvent changed fuel filter(actually, didn’t even think to look for it.)
Can I remove air filter and mist some diesel into intake to at least see if it will start?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Finally had some decent weather to try to get this thing started. Battery is good, starter is turning over motor good. No fire. Not really sure how to check if it’s gettimg fuel. HAvent changed fuel filter(actually, didn’t even think to look for it.)
Can I remove air filter and mist some diesel into intake to at least see if it will start?
No, do not force feed the engine anything. Bad stuff happens. If it won't start on it's own, find/fix the reason it won't.

On a diesel, you know you are getting fuel if during cranking the engine you see some fuel smoke (usually white, smells like diesel) coming out of the exhaust pipe. No smoke, no fuel-and it really is that simple.

On a diesel you need air, fuel, and compression. No spark needed. So if you're not seeing any fuel out of the exhaust, chances are good you found at least one issue...no fuel. But why? If it was run out of fuel at any point in it's recent life, you can add fresh diesel to the fuel tank, turn key on, and then bleed the injector pump. There is a bleed screw where the fuel line goes into the side of the pump. Loosen that screw (10mm hex?). If the electric fuel pump's working, fuel will begin to flow out of the bleed screw. Let it flow a few seconds, close it, and try cranking. Might take some cranking; but at some point if everything's correct, you should at the very least see some fuel smoke from the muffler outlet.

If when you loosen the bleeder, if no fuel runs out, then it could be a plugged filter (IIRC, there are two filters on the G2160's), or could be a failing electric fuel pump, or junk in the tank plugging the outlet.

If you get fuel smoke, but still not starting, check the air intake system for restriction. If good, could be low compression.

I used to own one of the G2160's and while I liked it for the most part, I hated the electric power steering and despised the rear discharge bagger which was useless for my needs. Couldn't find a side discharge for it, so I dumped it in favor of a G1900. Other than that, it was a good mower. And fast. I think it mowed at right around 12 mph if I remember right.

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
No, do not force feed the engine anything. Bad stuff happens. If it won't start on it's own, find/fix the reason it won't.

On a diesel, you know you are getting fuel if during cranking the engine you see some fuel smoke (usually white, smells like diesel) coming out of the exhaust pipe. No smoke, no fuel-and it really is that simple.

On a diesel you need air, fuel, and compression. No spark needed. So if you're not seeing any fuel out of the exhaust, chances are good you found at least one issue...no fuel. But why? If it was run out of fuel at any point in it's recent life, you can add fresh diesel to the fuel tank, turn key on, and then bleed the injector pump. There is a bleed screw where the fuel line goes into the side of the pump. Loosen that screw (10mm hex?). If the electric fuel pump's working, fuel will begin to flow out of the bleed screw. Let it flow a few seconds, close it, and try cranking. Might take some cranking; but at some point if everything's correct, you should at the very least see some fuel smoke from the muffler outlet.

If when you loosen the bleeder, if no fuel runs out, then it could be a plugged filter (IIRC, there are two filters on the G2160's), or could be a failing electric fuel pump, or junk in the tank plugging the outlet.

If you get fuel smoke, but still not starting, check the air intake system for restriction. If good, could be low compression.

I used to own one of the G2160's and while I liked it for the most part, I hated the electric power steering and despised the rear discharge bagger which was useless for my needs. Couldn't find a side discharge for it, so I dumped it in favor of a G1900. Other than that, it was a good mower. And fast. I think it mowed at right around 12 mph if I remember right.
Thanks Lugbolt. Bleeder screw. I’ll find it. I Did notice the two inline plastic fuel filters today. I’ll see if I can get it purged. While cranking the motor a few days ago, I did not see, or smell any signs of it getting fuel from the exhaust. You are probably right.
Also, this was my late fathers machine and he had owned it since new. While I never used it myself, due to the massively excessive dust collected on the rear fenders, and floorboards, (It does have the rear mounted, hydraulic dumping baggage system) I’m not sure I’m gonna like how this things works at all. I’m thinking I’d almost rather remove the baggage system altogether, and use it as a rear discharge mower only, if that’s possible. Thanks again-I’ll get back on it this weekend.

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
Found bleeder screw. Loosened and turned over engine for 15-20 seconds. No fuel. I then took off rubber fuel line just prior to thT point and tried to blow backward thru it, but could not. Either mechanical pump won’t let air go backwards, or line is plugged up somewhere . I did loosen fuel cap to make sure the tank as not pressurized.
There are two plastic fuel filters. One directly in front of the injection pump, and one over rear wheel, coming from the tank. I was also able to see a metal filter just after the one over the rear wheel. I’m thinking that one may actually be a small electric pump? Can’t really see it well, and don’t know how to get to it either. Never have had the rear fenders off one of these mowers.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
There is a good chance that the filter closest to the fuel tank is plugged and needs to be replaced. While doing that one, you may as well replace the one closest to in injection pump. The metal thingy is the fuel pump and with the key in the on position you should hear it clicking. If not, it has probably gone south, but just to be sure, measure the voltage going to it with the key on, should be full battery voltage. Lastly, your fuel restriction could be in the fuel tank itself. Try blowing some low pressure air back thru the fuel hose to the tank.

Witchgrass

Equipment
Contruction
Mar 12, 2017
Bandera, Texas
I ended up taking the machine to a friends house that is a much more qualified mechanic than I am. He just called me and told me that it looked like some tree rats had been chewing on the wiring for a while. After taking off the seat, and fenders, he found three places that had been chewed into. After he fixed those, he said it fired right up and runs like a top. He was pretty impressed with it. Looking forward to mowing some weeds with soon!