Local Paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The fish were ok with it since they were going to be taken home to eat rather than live another miserable day
Yea, right...Like any of us know what other animals different than us feel...

The miserable day started when the hook was set, and ended when the fish was on the dinner plate or in the freezer...LOL

Less miserable to be back in the water with a sore lip...my way of thinking anyway.

By the way, sushi is my favorite food...nothing against fishing...pretty sure though, that any of the fish I end up eating would have rather been left free in the ocean than ending up on my plate!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
T
The wife is a Regan republican and I am left of center democrat. I love to fish, she hates fishing. She drinks wine, I drink bourbon. Been going at it for over 45 years so politics ain't an issue. Perhaps we can see both sides. Give it a try.
You are right. I shoud have said radical leftists rather than libs. Although i have noticed that those even just left of center still vote for and support radical ideology simply because of party affiliation.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Yea, right...Like any of us know what other animals different than us feel...

The miserable day started when the hook was set, and ended when the fish was on the dinner plate or in the freezer...LOL

Less miserable to be back in the water with a sore lip...my way of thinking anyway.

By the way, sushi is my favorite food...nothing against fishing...pretty sure though, that any of the fish I end up eating would have rather been left free in the ocean than ending up on my plate!
i think what i was saying went over your head

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
T

You are right. I shoud have said radical leftists rather than libs. Although i have noticed that those even just left of center still vote for and support radical ideology simply because of party affiliation.
Says the guy who worships the orange daddy.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
The wife is a Regan republican and I am left of center democrat. I love to fish, she hates fishing. She drinks wine, I drink bourbon. Been going at it for over 45 years so politics ain't an issue. Perhaps we can see both sides. Give it a try.

Yeah, wife and I have been together for 40 years. We don't see eye to eye on everything but still manage to make things work. What troubles me about things 'political' these days is the polarization and division it has sown.

I am 68....so maybe a bit older than most here. But when I was growing up....political affiliation was just something that made one person a bit different than another. But everyone still got along (even if having different ideals).

Today....those differences are taken to mean that a person must be your 'adversary'. That saddens me.

We can have meaningful discussions without tearing down the other side. And if we reach an impasse....so be it. I'm not going to hate you for it. Sheeeesh.....hell of a world we are living in today.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Let's assume someone's political affiliation based on their stance on catch and release 😂 clear indication of low IQ. Thank you again for providing zero value to another conversation and turning something as simple as fishing into a political mess.
"low IQ"? This completely unnecessary insult to the poster, may also signify..."low IQ"!

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
"low IQ"? This completely unnecessary insult to the poster, may also signify..."low IQ"!
You and I have different interpretations of unnecessary. Grouping folks into a political party based on a stance on fishing is as low IQ of a correlation as it gets. Take my comment however you want to take it, it wasn't directed at you, but maybe it should have been?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
T

All look the same to me:

1654796236964.png

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
As predicted, this lady Laura Slitt of Bartlett NH is a complete wack job. Do some googling folks. Vegan, anti everything meat related, threatened to tear down trump signs because she was so triggered, etc, etc, etc.

"If not taken down ill remove the trump billboard"
"No peace, no love, no happiness ever resulted from eating an animal" \
" I weep at the carnage the destruction of our forests and trees"
"Women who kill other beings are perpetuating the cycle of violence"
"An earth day message from the animals we coexist with"
"fords charcoal is another example of normalized violence"

These titles are opinion pieces in the Conway Daily Sun newspaper behind a paywall if anyone wants to look.

Lady is crazy.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I remember my wife mentioning to me years ago (she is Japanese) that kids on farms on the Northern island of Hokkaido grow attached to cows raised on the farms.

When their favorite cows are shipped off to market, they feel sad…but at dinner time they ask for heaping portions of beef! LOL.
That does not seem like a peculiar comment (by your wife), but quite normal.

Youngsters in the U.S. learn about life and it's process by being involved in 4-H and similar groups. They try to find the best of the breed that they can afford, raise it, ending up taking it to the county fair where it ends up being sold. Everything from chickens, rabbits, cattle, hogs, even their favorite pies, all consumed by someone else.

But then the city folk get upset when they discover ice cream has cow's milk in its ingredients !!

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You and I have different interpretations of unnecessary. Grouping folks into a political party based on a stance on fishing is as low IQ of a correlation as it gets. Take my comment however you want to take it, it wasn't directed at you, but maybe it should have been?
You are so kind when compared to other "liberals"!
Some liberals have a penchant for using not so veiled threats.
Example: NY Senator Charles Schummer v/s two supreme court justices.

Last edited:

radas

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
You are so kind when compared to other "liberals"!
Some liberals have a penchant for using not so veiled threats.
Example: NY Senator Charles Schummer v/s two supreme court justices.
Ok bud.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
As predicted, this lady Laura Slitt of Bartlett NH is a complete wack job. Do some googling folks. Vegan, anti everything meat related, threatened to tear down trump signs because she was so triggered, etc, etc, etc.

"If not taken down ill remove the trump billboard"
"No peace, no love, no happiness ever resulted from eating an animal" \
" I weep at the carnage the destruction of our forests and trees"
"Women who kill other beings are perpetuating the cycle of violence"
"An earth day message from the animals we coexist with"
"fords charcoal is another example of normalized violence"

These titles are opinion pieces in the Conway Daily Sun newspaper behind a paywall if anyone wants to look.

Lady is crazy.
"lady" ????

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
There have been studies that show fish have 21 pain receptors in the mouth area. They do feel pain. Not the same a human pain and but understood yet.
When you are the top of the food chain who cares about our dinners pain.
^^^^^

Agreed.

But having the 'ability' to feel pain (as a possible evolutionary survival tool) is something quite different than the ability to experience suffering. A very basic and simple 'response' to pain (like a human touching something hot and immediately pulling away) or auto reflex is not the same thing as conscious thought and suffering. Fish have very simple brains with no Cerebral Cortex (like my Brother-in-Law). ;)

It can be argued that 'sport' fishing could subject a fish to physical stress that might affect it, but I don't buy the notion/argument for fish feeling or experiencing mental suffering/pain/anguish as some would have us believe.

Date:August 8, 2013Source:Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FVB)Summary:

Fish do not feel pain the way humans do, according to a team of neurobiologists, behavioral ecologists and fishery scientists. The researchers conclude that fish do not have the neuro-physiological capacity for a conscious awareness of pain.

I also don't believe that trees give a damn whether we hug them nor not. But its a free country and each person may go on their misguided way.... however they wish.

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
T

Yeah, I notice that on the alt right as well...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.