Loader problem

modeladay

Equipment
Sold B7100 and purchased a B2150 with FEL
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
I just completed a hydraulic oil change on my b2150. The loader seems to lift upwards fine but I have no downward power. I used to be able to lift the entire front end of the tractor off the ground . It starts to lift and than it just gives up like letting the air out of a balloon. Did I do something wrong?? Tell what you think.

Thanks
Dusty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You probably just need to run it for a bit to work the air out of it, give it a good work out then check back in if the problem still exists. ;)

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
You probably just need to run it for a bit to work the air out of it, give it a good work out then check back in if the problem still exists. ;)
Thanks for the reply, I just notice this tonight. I have about 3 hours sense the oil change and I have moving downed trees around so I have been working hard. Like I said up is good but no downward power. Thanks again

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What NIW said...

One of the techniques I have read about is to cycle your bucket unloaded full up and down (stops up and hold for a second, ground down for a second) 5-6 times to get all the air out of the cylinders. Curl the bucket up and down as well. Let us know how that works...

:)

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
What NIW said...

One of the techniques I have read about is to cycle your bucket unloaded full up and down (stops up and hold for a second, ground down for a second) 5-6 times to get all the air out of the cylinders. Curl the bucket up and down as well. Let us know how that works...

:)
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Ok did all the above plus changed the connections on the control box to see if I could move the problem. Still no power to lift the front end? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you swapped the lift for the roll and it still won't lift it, you have blown a seal on a cylinder. ;)

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Ok,just to clarify the loader lifts weight up fine but in the downward motion will not lift the tractor's front end off the ground. There seems to be no downward power but you can hear the hydraulic pump screaming. When you say blown seal in cylinder I assume your talking about one of the boom cylinders? If so would you not see a leak? Thanks again for your time and patience.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It starts to lift and than it just gives up like letting the air out of a balloon. Did I do something wrong??
Is the ONLY thing you did was to drain and change the oil? Same grade and type of oil?

The description sounds very similar to going through the lower position and into the float position (on a control that goes Up-Neutral-Down-Float) or not quite all the way into the down position (on a control that goes Up-Neutral-Float-Down). Any chance of operator error here?

What happens if you set the bucket flat on the ground, boom control in Neutral, then curl the bucket down? Does that lift the tractor or raise the boom?

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
I changed the filter and used SUTD, this problem could have occurred prior to this. I just noticed this while moving cut down trees around in the mud. I decided to back drag the ruts I was making and found that I had no downward force. I can curl the bucket and it does left the front end up some but I always used the boom in the downward mode to fully left the front of the tractor off the ground. It won't do that now but it does try. The little that it does raise is lost when you return the control to the neutral position.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
It starts to lift and than it just gives up like letting the air out of a balloon.
The little that it does raise is lost when you return the control to the neutral position.
Something's gotta be leaking somewhere. If you switched the spool valve connections around and the problem remains, then it's not in the control. If there is no visible leakage anywhere and the level in the transmission is not dropping, then it's gotta be in the cylinder itself, getting around the piston.

The only other possibility is the relief valve, but that would affect lifting too. Mind you, extending the cylinder takes less pressure than retracting a cylinder for the same force. So it is possible that the system can lift some moderate weight up even when there's not enough pressure to get the front end off the ground pushing down. But you wouldn't have full lifting power.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
It seems like in the lifting the bucket up there is a lot of power. I'm picking up logs that are ten inches round and 25 ft in length and sometimes two at a time. I'm fairly new to a loader and what it is capable of so maybe it should be stronger. What I do know I could easily raise the front of the tractor off the ground and it won't do that now. Big thanks for your help!

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
Maybe you did this already, but ...

If the bucket is on the ground in the "flat" position it will only go down about 2-inches or so depending on the design of the loader. Therefore, raise the loader's arms and curl its bucket so the front edge is pointing perpendicular to the ground - then lower the arms and see if it will lift the tractor. If if does not lift the tractor front end under this condition then you do have a problem.

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
Yes I have done that and in the past have no trouble lifting the front of the tractor off the ground. It try's to lift and as soon as you return the lever to the neutral position you loose what you gained. I have confirmed that both tubes lift the bucket independently by disconnecting each side and plugging the hoses. I did some digging with it tonight and I was easily able to lift an over flowing bucket of wet red Georgia dirt. I don't know what to do next but it acts as if something is open and not closing when it should????

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
If you swapped connections and your boom became the curl, with no change in problem, than Id wager the curl cylinder, hoses, connections are at fault. Be it a bum quick connect not allowing full volume, or hose/tube clogged up...

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Were you by any chance back dragging with the bucket all the way dumped? If so you may have bent a rod. It likely won't look bent, but it doesn't take much of a bend to damage a seal.

Don't ask how I know this...

Jerry

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When I say a blow seal it will be the internal seal that would allow fluid to bypass the seal and return back threw the other hose, so no you would not see that leak.
If the fluid is thinner than the fluid that was in it before, it's very likely the seal (only takes one seal on one ram to effect both rams) has been leaking, it's just more obvious with the thinner fluid.

Also check if the fluid is foaming (from air being sucked in before the pump), that will give you poor lift too. ;)

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
When I removed the lines from the the boom cylinders to test them individually I notice the fluid was foaming. Is that an indication of a blown seal in one of the rams?

modeladay

Equipment
Mar 25, 2016
Lincolnton, GA
OK, Mr. Wolfman you may have hit the nail on the head. I removed the lines on the ram on the left side of the loader and plug the lines. I did this side because I had rebuilt the right side about 4 months ago. With the left side disconnected I try lifting the front of the tractor, it tried to raise it but at least this time it locked its self in place and did not fall back like it had been doing. So it looks like a seal is blown in the left ram. Im going to try and replace the seals my self today and get back and let you all know how it went.