Loader Problem on L3901

Roundround

Equipment
L3901 HST
Aug 25, 2016
Beards town, IL
I'm having an issue with the raising and lowering of the loader arms. At times I have to hold joystick just so to get it to move up or down. When moving it is very slow. Other time seems to work just fine and float seems fine. No problem with tractor movement or tipping the bucket up or down, just raising and lowering the arms. Engine RPM doesn't seem to matter either.
About 110 hours on the machine and has operated fine until today. Started from a heated garage.
Any ideas what I should look for, I haven't done any service on the loader control valve and the tractor usually sits outside most of the year.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm having an issue with the raising and lowering of the loader arms. At times I have to hold joystick just so to get it to move up or down.
Well I hope you have to hold the joystick for it to move otherwise something is really wrong if its moving without you holding it! :eek:

Most often its a quick disconnect issue, it might have something that is clogging it, most notably trash/debri in the cylinder side of the loop. ;)

Last edited:

Roundround

Equipment
L3901 HST
Aug 25, 2016
Beards town, IL
I appreciated the humor, but I have to hold the joystick open in just the right spot.... too far up or down and nothing happens.
Should I remove the affected disconnects and try to clean or just replace them?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I appreciated the humor, but I have to hold the joystick open in just the right spot.... too far up or down and nothing happens.
Should I remove the affected disconnects and try to clean or just replace them?
Cleaning them in most cases is impossible, but you can look for anything obvious.
Also check the hose crimp fittings as a piece of rubber flapping around in there will cause the same results.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do I have to get Kubota fittings or are they fairly universal and Napa will have them.
I don't know what fittings they are using now, in the past they uses odd ones, but I think they might have gone to a standard now because the loaders are US made.
Take a set off and take them into Napa with you to match them up.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I recently had this happen with my aftermarket ("Brand Hydraulics") joystick style valve. I found a loose screw in the plate that secures the joystick handle to the spool valves. When I moved the joystick, the plate would rotate slightly, taking one of the spool valves with it. So the FEL would start to move, but then stop as the joystick was pushed towards the limit and the spool valve rotated enough to cut off the flow.

A little Locktite on the errant screw fixed it right up.

Of course, the others could be right, but check for unusual play in the joystick.

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Other time seems to work just fine and float seems fine. /QUOTE]

Sorry, i cannot contribute to solving the problem, my question is "the float seems fine"

I was told there is no float detent on 3901 loader, am i incorrect?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was told there is no float detent on 3901 loader, am i incorrect?
Smoke - I'm just guessing, but I'd be very surprised if there were no float detent on an L3901 w/ Kubota loader.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
There is a float on the l3901 loader. Push straight up and it locks in float.

Roundround

Equipment
L3901 HST
Aug 25, 2016
Beards town, IL
Ok here's where I'm at so far.... Disconnected, surface cleaned, reconnected the 4 quick disconnects for the FEL. Took the cover off the joystick controls and cleaned chaff and a few twigs from around the top of the control box. Seems to be working perfectly now. I will find out with the coming snowfall this weekend. Thank for all the suggestions and help.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
My 3901 loader has float. Push the joystick all the way forward to make the loader float.

I had an issue on my loader where the ball at the end of the loader joystick came out of whatever mechanism underneath the cover that it interfaces with. I took it apart, re-aligned everything where it needed to be, then re-assembled. That was 2 years or so ago haven't had any trouble since.

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
My 3901 loader has float. Push the joystick all the way forward to make the loader float.
Did not mean to hijack OP thread. I just found out yes my loader indeed has a float position. Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator: