Loader cylinder seals

phantomgeo

Equipment
bx2200
Oct 1, 2013
Out there some where
Anyone rebuild the LA211 boom cylinder? Mine apparently blew a seal and sprayed hydraulic oil out of the cylinder. Easy job or something for the professional?

Thank you….

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
All depends on your wrenching ability, tools and time. Need to take the end cap off and remove the ram/piston, remove old components and replace. Can probably get the seals at your local hydraulic repair shop at a reduced cost compared to dealer, and they may even install them on you ram if you take it in to them clean!

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Anyone rebuild the LA211 boom cylinder? Mine apparently blew a seal and sprayed hydraulic oil out of the cylinder. Easy job or something for the professional?

Thank you….
If you need to ask the question, you may want to take the cylinder to a repair shop and have them do it. Not THAT expensive.

In my case with a different Kubota loader that is larger, it cost me $100 each to have both my lift cylinders rebuilt. Kubota parts cost for the seal kit was something like $60 each plus shipping, since no dealer close by.

Never regretted doing this, and I had the rebuilt cylinders back before I could have figured out how to do it myself, and round up the seals.

Edit: By the way, if one cylinder started leaking the other is likely going to fail sometime soon. That was the case for me anyway. I noticed one cylinder leaking, and before I took it off, a few days later I noticed the other cylinder started leaking as well...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Henro brings up an important issue...
rebuild the 2nd cylinder at the same time !!

1st, both were probably made using same batch of parts,same shift, etc. so yes, if one failed, the other 'may'.

2nd, tractor(well loader) is out of commission for one cylinder repair, might as well do the other. It'd be a real bummer to have to not use tractor for a SECOND time, say 1-2 weeks later......

3rd, cost for the 2nd is minimal.Say you outsource it. ONE trip to shop, ONE bill from shop,ONE trip to pickup (providing it's not done 'while you wait' .

if you do decide to do it yourself, buy a 2ND kit !

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you do have it repaired by a shop, just remove the cylinder and take it to a hydraulic shop. They will be able to source the parts and rebuild much cheaper than your dealer.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you have a good Kubota dealer nearby…. I’d use them before a local generic hyd-shop…but that’s not to disparage independent hyd-shops. They‘ve usually seen these previously and know how to do it.

(The reason I like to use the Kubota dealer is to support the “network”… without them our tractors become orphans…similar to so many “blue” and “red” brands. One branch of my in-laws were once Minneapolis-Moline dealers. Now they are a small town hardware store selling Murray lawn mowers and watching construction of a new Home Depot.)

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

Thank you….
You can search using 'seal' and member 'PoTreeBoy' to see several threads on repacking cylinders. If you have a good hydraulic shop nearby, you're probably best to take them in. Otherwise, it's not difficult if the rod caps will loosen. But the kits from Kubota may not be cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I have rebuilt cylinders before but now I take them to a local machine shop. They do a full rebuild and rest for $75. Usually back in two days. I have also used a local hydraulic shop and they did my 5 inch Prince cylinder for $125. They had all the parts on hand. Otherwise I had to order through Timberwolf (splitter manufacturer) with about a two week wait for the seals to come in. It all depends on your ability and tools. I had the tools for the Prince but the torque required for the big nut on the end was several hundred pounds, I gladly let the shop do it for $125.

Last edited:

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
It easy to get off and take to a shop...My swing cylinder (backhoe) needed seals. But it had scratch's on it so it needed to be replaced...No longer available from Kubota and not rebuiltable!
A shop made one for me and a Kubota dealer did the work...They had for almost a month?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you have a good Kubota dealer nearby…. I’d use them before a local generic hyd-shop…but that’s not to disparage independent hyd-shops. They‘ve usually seen these previously and know how to do it.

(The reason I like to use the Kubota dealer is to support the “network”… without them our tractors become orphans…similar to so many “blue” and “red” brands. One branch of my in-laws were once Minneapolis-Moline dealers. Now they are a small town hardware store selling Murray lawn mowers and watching construction of a new Home Depot.)
That is a consideration but the local dealers I’m familiar with have weeks worth of shop repairs and servicing stacked up. A hydraulic shop replaced the seals in a loader lift cylinder for me in 3 days (drop off to pick up).

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know of a dealer that took them to a hydraulic shop for repair. It is faster to have the hydraulic shop do the work than it is for the tractor shop to do the work since they don't do hydraulic cylinders as often as a hydraulic shop and they can make more money having the techs do the work that they are most familiar with. Just like the surgeon that replaces your hip, he specializes in what he knows best and can do it faster and better.