Loader Bucket in Float

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Am I correct the loader 525 float option raises the bucket slightly off the ground surface???

Trying to move snow without gouging surface, thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If it does, then it's NOT a normal float ! 'float' means that the ramds of the cylinders can move both ways(oil flows freely..), based upon the load( bucket) and gravity. The bucket should follow the contour of the land, though you need to drive slow.
You can add bolt on 'bucket skates' to lift the blade up a bit. Maybe $120 a pair for store bought or free if you've got 4 pcs of steel, 2 nut, 2 bolts and 20 minutes of time with a welder.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The float position lays the bucket all the way to the ground. You can tilt the front edge of the bucket up a bit if you choose if you don't want it catching anything unseen.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Thanks to all, I now have better understanding on float position. I guess the movement I was seeing was the hydraulics releasing pressure.

I see the skates on the www thanks beex.

Jay, I agree. Will see tomorrow what scrap I have around. May run over to TSC or farm store and have an eyeball/take some measurements. Thanks

Appreciate all the posts, thanks

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I had a difficult time clearing snow with just the FEL.. Gouged the driveway too. When I first bought my L, I think the loader valve would stick too. Sometimes itd float and other times itd pick up the front of the tractor and certainly wasnt functioning as smooth as my dads Grand L. Been running Kubotas as long as I can remember and I was told to read the manual. All seems good now though.

Id look into a blade personally. $350 or so for a TSC/ Rural King model and about 2x that for Land Pride, but I see you already have one.

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I have a set of the mentioned "Edge Tamers", and they work VERY well if you don't mind leaving an inch of snow on the pavement. As far as float is concerned, the curl of the bucket will also be a factor.
Don't know how your bucket is physically constructed, but my last 2 Kubota buckets had side plates that extend below the flat bucket bottom. If I run my bucket dead level the side plates will gouge the pavement bad. On the rare occasion that I use the bucket for snow removal, I run the bucket more in the dump position (tilted slightly forward on the cutting edge) to keep the side plates off the pavement. Floating the fel with the bucket in that position keeps the bucket floating nicely on the surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Plowing with the loader bucket is difficult unless you are on a perfectly smooth paved surface or similar. Too many opportunities for the bucket to grab on to something and shock the tractor when it catches.

The rear blade does work very well. I have a King Cutter blade and while pushing in reverse yesterday hooked it on something and bent it pretty severely. I was amazed how easily it bent. Still functional but I'm probably in the market for a new one, and probably a more heavy duty one now I think.

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Believe I prefer looking straight fwd and using the bucket, I just did not have time to hook up rear blade. Probably should have hooked it up. An inch or so left on the ground would not bother me. Again, thanks for all the posts

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I think if I had a rear blade I would have bashed it against something expensive while looking the wrong way, probably multiple times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smokeless

Equipment
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Don't know how your bucket is physically constructed, but my last 2 Kubota buckets had side plates that extend below the flat bucket bottom. If I run my bucket dead level the side plates will gouge the pavement bad. On the rare occasion that I use the bucket for snow removal, I run the bucket more in the dump position (tilted slightly forward on the cutting edge) to keep the side plates off the pavement. Floating the fel with the bucket in that position keeps the bucket floating nicely on the surface.

Good point, I will check the bucket side plates this am.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
If you're on asphalt, concrete, or pavers, a urethane strip on the bottom edge of the FEL is a must, IMO. Works extremely well with float mode, leaves very little residue behind, and no marks or damage to the drive surface.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I’ve never had any success with float when plowing, and I’ve been plowing snow for 20 years. Personally, I rely on feel and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
jkcolo22, I hear you. I can't remember ever using float on any of my tractors! I prefer to have the bucket down and manipulate the joystick to get the height, and cut I want. Paying close attention to the feel and keep an eye on bucket angle starting out. It's what makes tractoring fun.

On my truck with a Hiniker plow I have no skid shoes. I plow concrete drives in town and gravel drives out of town. I just pay close attention and make small adjustments.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
watched my old boss throw himself over the steering wheel while trying to use the loader bucket to "plow" snow in the parking lot. L2800HST and LA463 loader. Bucket snagged a crack in the pavement under about 8" of snow.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I grew up plowing snow with a back blade. Driveway was about a quarter of a mile long, mostly hill. I really prefer a back blade for snow clearing. I just feel like it's a lot more versatile than a front blade.

Never had the opportunity to try plowing snow with a FEL and bucket yet, but unless I was just trying to remove really deep stuff it doesn't strike me as something that would be so effective.

When I got my B2650 with third function, I considered getting a front blade for it. But I've since read that if you try to float it, the front of the tractor tends to pick up so I'm glad I didn't do that.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
watched my old boss throw himself over the steering wheel while trying to use the loader bucket to "plow" snow in the parking lot. L2800HST and LA463 loader. Bucket snagged a crack in the pavement under about 8" of snow.

Yes... the lack of trip springs on a bucket makes it a less than ideal tool for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk