little body work on the deck.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
We've been getting our daily (sometimes twice) summer storms here in Georgia. Happy to be getting the rain, but it also means a huge growth spurt for the the grass and weeds. I knew I had to drop the deck to clean off all the wet grass, but found an unexpected surprise.

I can't say I'm sure how this happened, but it did - possibly hitting an exposed surface root from a tree? Anyway, it had to be addressed. The bottom of the deck was bent a little up into the deck and interfering with the blade. This is the side without the discharge.

I first thought I'll just use my hand sledge and in a couple whacks, I'll beat it back. But there wasn't enough room to get a good swing even with sledge sideways. So I resorted to my biggest pair of vice grips and was able to bend it back by hand to make sure the blade fully cleared.

While I had deck off, checked the blades and that blade was a little chewed up. I swapped it with one as I have 2 sets, one sharp and the ones currently installed. I'll try to sharpen it at a later date and see what I can do with it.

The grass made a huge mess on the driveway so I had the opportunity to unleash the Billy goat who has been garaged since last fall :D.

The moral of the story - check your decks!

20220711_191219.jpg

20220711_203920.jpg

Dan

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya mean it aint suppose to look like that? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Been there, done that! Blade on my BX 60” deck jammed tight when I hit a ground level stump just right. Vice grips and hammer to the rescue. Also stripped out the blade bolt hole…had hunt around to find a tap that size! Now with my Z422 I fabbed an extra pedal to momentarily lift the deck over obstacles…

• Wow

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Glad to see you wear hearing protection.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Glad to see you wear hearing protection.
That's one loud goat!
I take safety seriously.

I was too lazy to go upstairs to get my in-ear buds (isotunes) so I used my old on ear that I keep in the garage for my woodworking. Both have bluetooth so I can listen to tunes while doing work.

Dan

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
send that rain this way

ain't seen a drop in over a month. Pasture's dried up. To keep it positive, at least I won't have to cut it anymore this year, AND it makes it easier to kill off the stickerweed.

• Wow

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A monkey wrench is a pipe wrench to we hillbillies. Just a harder to spell fancier term. The simpler the better.
Nope. A monkey wrench is smooth on the inside of the jaws whereas a pipe wrench has ridges to grab the pipe tighter when torque is applied! :)

Smooth jaws in this application means less damage to the metal being straightened.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
The goal is to make the most syllables with the fewest letters.
I disagree, efficiency is the goal with grunts preferred followed my monosyllabic utterances . Thats been my experience. Not to be confused with stupid I will add.

Last edited: