Line up tool?

clark_bailey

Equipment
Kubota L3710, L3600 and Bobcat T190
Mar 19, 2010
West Alabama
Anyone know where to find a line up tool for this input shaft? Maybe a part number or eBay item number? It's for a L3600.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
When I did mine, I just made one from a scrap piece of sucker rod. But that's the joy of owning a lathe. No idea where someone would get a lineup tool for a dual stage clutch.

Reactions: 1 user

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
You did not mention what style of transmission! So I checked both the DT and GST. It appears to be a single stage unit according the parts breakdown.

You really don't need an alignment tool. You could spend the time making one.
What I have done is get a good light to see how centered the disc is compared to the pilot bearing/bushing. Put disc on in combo with the pressure plate/clutch put your hardware in loosely enough to put slight friction on the disc.

You can recenter the disc with your fingers on the outer edge of the disc. Once centered torque the hardware to spec.

If you have a dual stage unit, the PTO disc is capatured and should be centered with a clutch finger height/ adjustment fixture. The ground travel disc can be done in the same fashion as above.

Pat

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's pretty easy to simply take a wooden dowel and make it "just" fit into the disc splines. I've used a piece of a broom handle!

Put a shoulder on the inserted end that just fits into the pilot hole. Put the dowel in the flywheel/clutch disc before you tighten the pressure plate bolts completely, and you'll have it pretty well centered.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Small world. My first clutch/pressure-plate rebuild was on a Pinto, and I used a piece of a broom handle. And I've lined them up visually for concentricity if I could get my head in and a clear direct view, and even by using the transmission with plate snugged then pulling it back to finish.

Anyway, I'm relatively new to the tractor game and recently did my first 2 stage clutch. But that looks to me like a 2 stage input, otherwise not sure what the 2 concentric splinned inputs would be. So as frustrating as it is trying to get 2 sets of splines indexed while walking the back half of a tractor forward, I wouldn't want to do that without having it aligned and tight for a one-and-done assembly. Not that it couldn't be done, but I wouldn't want to. I also wouldn't want to whittle one like I did for the Pinto. For one, you need a pretty good size stick to start, and for another, you have 3 relatively critical concentric locating points. I don't whittle that good.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The clutch alignment tools dealers have for Kubotas are packaged in a large kit that fits several models (and is not cheap). I was able to borrow a kit once and measure the parts used for my model, the L345. I made a one-piece tool and I've found it does the job on several L machines in the 30-40 hp size range. Pic attached with dimensions. Doesn't look like a direct fit for the L3600 but shows the idea. A broom handle and a wood lathe ?

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine

( "I assume you are using a line up tool when you put the clutch on?"
I do not have a two stage alignment tool. To align the second stage I center it in the top clutch cover. To align the first stage I use a socket wrapped in tape so it will just fit into the center of the first stage disc and the socket just fits into the center of the flywheel. Using this method I can get the trans slid into place in 2 - 3 min. then bolt up the trans.)

This is from the thread that I started when I changed my two stage clutch. Because of 4, yes count them 4, different bad clutch assemblies I had to repeat this process dozens of times.

A little light reading, it is only 143 posts long. :eek:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12172

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
The pic posted by rbargeron looks almost exactly like mine, though mine has a bit of chamfer on the edges. I just reverse engineered mine from the input shaft(s).

But as olthumpa says, the second clutch is gripped in the assembly setup, and should stay put. Still, having an alignment tool meant no questions, no worries, and no futzing whit the primary alignment, and no need for extra gap spacing between the tractor halves. The material I used to make mine is quite likely to go on to make something else. I wouldn't buy one, but if you have the option, I would make another if I had to do it again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Because your motor / trans setup does not have a pilot bearing it's not very hard to get it close and it will fit. ;)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I was surprised by it not having the stub for the pilot bearing. But it did not appear broken, so I didn't mention it. I don't recall ever seeing one without a pilot bearing before. I suppose that's due to the much heavier nature of the tractor in question, combined with it's relatively low rpm operation?