Light, medium, or heavy-duty rotary cutter?

coss

Apr 27, 2013
Albany, NY
I'd like advice from folks about what I need.

I'll be mowing 14 acres of overgrown fields. They have not been cut in 3-4 years, but after the first cutting, I intend to cut them twice per year. At present, there is some multiflora rose of less than 1" diameter, but there are some saplings along the field borders up to 1.5-2" diameter. The rest of it is weeds and grass.

The ground is mostly flat or gently sloping. There are few or no rocks, but there a few 1 foot deep ditches where Hurricane Irene added to geologic erosion in its one-shot trip through the northeast. I don't think there are many stumps.

I haven't purchased a tractor yet, but that's coming in the next couple of weeks (craigslist is a great resource). I could live with models strong enough to drive either 5 or 6 foot cutters.

Assuming the tractor is matched to the size of the cutter, would the experts recommend a light, medium, or heavy duty rotary cutter for the work described?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I cut saplings up to 1.5" or so with a med duty Land Pride 5" cutter and it handles them fine. I'm cutting 40-50 acres yearly, but sometimes use a 6' med duty. Keeping the blades sharp works best for me.

Over the years we've worn out 4 light duty cutters, so I now avoid those.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I have a John Deere 580 I use behind my Grand L3830 Ive cut willows and wild walnut up to 2 " , mowers are like anything else you get what you pay for . I suggest buy as heavey duty a mower as you can aford and it'll last you for years .

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Let find out what kind of tractor you end up buying first, then we can help suggest a properly fit bush hog from there. Light, medium and heavy duty bush hogs all vary in weight behind a tractor. I wouldnt tell you to put a heavy duty bushhog behind a little Bx series Kubota.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Forget labels such as " light, medium, or heavy duty" and just go by the specs, it seems some manufacturers tend to blur the lines or not even use the term.

I prefer to buy more than enough rather than just enough.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Forget labels such as " light, medium, or heavy duty" and just go by the specs, it seems some manufacturers tend to blur the lines or not even use the term.

I prefer to buy more than enough rather than just enough.
Well put, totally agree.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Go for the weight. The heavier, the more steel. Get a 40+ horsepower gearbox. Choose one with a stump-jumper disk holding the blades.
As for the tractor, you will forever thank yourself if you get a FEL and mid 20's+ PTO horses. Orange is good.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When you go to look at the specs on cutters look at the blade tip speed. I wouldn't want one lower than 13,000 feet per min. 15K fpm would be even better.