Lesson Learned

Mork

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Apr 20, 2015
Mt Pearl, NL
I finally got a chance to do some work at my summer home with the new BX25.

The driveway at the summer place is on approximately a 15deg down grade from the road. I had a load of road gravel dropped off at the top of the drive last year to maintain the driveway. Last Saturday I loaded the bucket on the BX and was coming down the driveway. Being the first time using it, I had it in low range 2 wheel drive. I noticed the machine was slowly gathering speed and applied the brake which did not do anything but lock up one back tire. I quickly dropped the load in the bucket and she came to a stop. It dawned on me that I should have had it in 4 wheel drive as the load on the bucket caused the rear of the machine to float light enough not to have enough traction. Added to this was the fact that in 2 wheel drive, you are effectively braking on just one rear wheel. I assume the braking system is integral to the drive train and only effective to what ever wheels are engaged, 1 wheel for 2wheel drive (Without Diff Lock) and 3 wheels when in 4 wheel drive.
Anyway, lesson learned all be it a scary one.

J

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Good point about the braking . Glad you were paying attention , it could have turned out bad .

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Be sure to have the brake peddles locked together. If you don't have them locked, and going at a good rate of speed and hit only one peddle--one wheel locks up and one keeps turning. This can result in a roll over. This will usually happen on flat area, when traveling too fast, and brake applied suddenly.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Be sure to have the brake peddles locked together. If you don't have them locked, and going at a good rate of speed and hit only one peddle--one wheel locks up and one keeps turning. This can result in a roll over. This will usually happen on flat area, when traveling too fast, and brake applied suddenly.
Cat, you are right with both brakes being used, on the BX series there is only one brake pedal - unlike many other series of Kubotas - and other tractors having both. My old Ford had two pedals and my right side brakes never worked well after replacing the pads and anything else, and when I hit the brakes hard - it was a "bad" feeling!!!! :eek:

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Good info.
Also be careful when loading onto a trailer, I ALWAYS lock the 4-wheel on the truck, I live on a hill so just about everything is on a slope. Driveway is 1/2 mile long and down hill. Even with the bucket low it still can get out of control, on gravel, real quick when NOT in 4-wheel dr.
(Always use 4-wheel when going DOWN HILL.)
I've also had the truck take off in park and e-brake on when loading the tractor, it picked the rear of the truck up enough to cause it to start sliding and take off with me on the seat of the tractor and on the rear of the trailer and no one in the truck.:eek: With the 4-wheel locked,. the e-brake will hold the front axle, Same as using the foot brake on the tractor, something you don't want to learn the hard way......................be careful.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As a side note you want to keep the bucket as close to the ground as you can when going any distance

Mork

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Apr 20, 2015
Mt Pearl, NL
As a side note you want to keep the bucket as close to the ground as you can when going any distance
Yes absolutely. I had the bucket filled and just barely off the ground when this happened. I keep the backhoe attached for ballast so it wasn't really a ballast issue. from now on, 4WD down hills.

J

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
The other thing to remember is your 4 wheel tractor can behave like a 3 wheel tricycle tractor as the front axle is on a pivot...

If the rear end is getting that light, your side to side tip over margin is getting very marginal as the rear axle firmly planted on the ground is where it comes from.

While your BX25 probably has very limited front axle tilt travel like my 2230, it's enough to get a roll over started.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Not only does the BX only have one pedal, it only has one brake, a wet brake in the transmission. That's why only one wheel stopped.

The backhoe may not be enough ballast for transporting a heavy load in the fel. I have loaded tires on my BX2370 and I feel real comfortable using the fel when I am working in a small area. If I have to transport something heavy in the fel I add my rear blade to the three point and always travel in low range with a load.

crickwaker

Equipment
B3300SU,BH77,LA504FEL
Dec 28, 2014
Kingsville,Oh
The operating manual for my B3300 recommends against ballast in the rear tires during backhoe operations. Don't know if that applies to a BX, but something to consider if you're looking for more counterweight.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I also have ridden the Kubota rollercoaster down a hill with a rear wheel locked.

Ballest in the rear tires is just a drop in the bucket (forgive the pun) for what's needed to maintain control with a full bucket. I was able to lift my ballested tires off the ground with LESS than a full bucket of material. You really need 3pt counterweight to center the mass behind the rear tires.

I live on a hill and everything I do is at a 10 - 20deg pitch. You learn quickly what you can get away with and what you can't.