Leaving Tractor at other property

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
"I've never used it so truly don't know what happens when it is go time"

Truer words were never spoken!
NONE of us have the REAL answer prior to a loss!
IMHO insurance companies deliberately structure their policies with endless loopholes.
The great thing about email correspondence is it’s real easy to keep a record of what the representative of the company wrote me…I hope I never need to use it buts its file saved. There is no he said she said in that case.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The great thing about email correspondence is it’s real easy to keep a record of what the representative of the company wrote me…I hope I never need to use it buts its file saved. There is no he said she said in that case.
My suspicion of insurance companies runs high.

You, to your insurance company, after claim denial: "I will send you an e-mail copy of the coverage description as defined for me by your agent/representative".
Insurance company to you: "We are sorry, but the agent/representative did not provide you with the proper interpretation of coverage under your policy".
Them to you: "To be absolutely certain that a specific item/issue is covered, you should always contact us directly, rather than rely on the opinion (interpretation) of any particular agent/representative".
Case closed!

Did I mention that I do not trust insurance companies??

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Insurance isn't really a scam. Their goal isn't to NOT pay out. The goal is to maximize coverage and still make money. The problem generally lies in peoples laziness, myself included.

Insurance is something nobody wants but in most instances requires, either by law or by lenders policy. Because no one wants it, no one wants to pay for it. But they are a business trying to make money. To keep pricing low, insurance companies walk that tight rope to balance their money coming in vs out and structure policies based on statistics to determine that balance.

You can have 100% coverage. For anything that should/could ever go wrong. Fortune 500 companies do, but you'll pay out the nose. Nobody wants that so they use statistics to reduce coverage until the payments you want is balanced with they take. Where people get lazy is reading that policy. Like the terms of service if every app and website in existence we judt agree. Then, even if you do read it statistics are constantly changing so sometimes so does your policy. Then the insurance company sends you a notice of changes and who actually reads it and keeps track? Hardly anyone. Then they get mad at the insurance company because something they thought was covered either changed or was never covered to begin with.

I got really bored one day and read the policy on one of my vehicles as it stood. Zero coverage for a theft outside of the damage to the vehicle itself, yet also covered incase of a stray icbm. Because that happens. Then talked with a family friend who was formerly the vp of a very large insurance company and he explained how and why THAT was a thing.

Reactions: 1 user

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
In addition to the above & Not ideal but good for the short term after an issue & considered supplemental is an Apple airtag. They notify anyone due to anti-stalking but it's better than nothing. You are going after the casual thief - more likely) rather than any pro of course...

Folks have them on collector cars when out & about: plus ins, common sense & other measures

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
For insurance fees, you can buy a good trailer, move your tractor at will, use the trailer for the rest of your days, and it fills a need for something you currently do not have, but apparently DO need. I’ll bet you can use that trailer around a demo/ build site as well.
I bought my 16’ dual axle utility trailer 30 years ago for $500. It’s now worth $2,000 used. Money well spent, plus I’ve used it too many times to count.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
For insurance fees, you can buy a good trailer, move your tractor at will, use the trailer for the rest of your days, and it fills a need for something you currently do not have, but apparently DO need. I’ll bet you can use that trailer around a demo/ build site as well.
I bought my 16’ dual axle utility trailer 30 years ago for $500. It’s now worth $2,000 used. Money well spent, plus I’ve used it too many times to count.
BEST ADVICE ON THIS THREAD!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi a follow up to this. My insurance company has confirmed that the tractor would be covered. See note below:
As long as it is used for your own property maintenance, not for third-party property maintenance, as long as it is not plated for the road or driven on the road or shoulder of the road, you are covered. This extends to cover theft, including theft from your vacant lot of land. It also covers for liability on your own land. Farming and forestry operations are not covered.

..now I am still not sure I will do this but at least it is an option now.

The reason I dont want to buy a trailer is that once I move to the this new property I will no longer need the BX and even if i did i have no need to move it around. I simply need the BX at the new property for a couple days.

I have also thought about asking if I could park it at a neighbors but that puts onus on them to ensure it is safe - how can they do that really?

The only trailers I can see at uHaul are 12ft tandem with ramps. I dont need the blades, boxes, or hog for this project, only the tractor with FEL and BH.

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes agree...its good to know that IF something occured i would be covered. But, that doesnt mean I want to leave it there overnights. Talking to United Rentals today and I can rent a 16ft trailer for $123 a day. If things work out I would take it Aug 3rd and return it on Aug 7 (taking advantage of holiday and them closed). So, that might be the route i go.

I still also like the thought of leaving at neighbors but just a tough call. I mean someone could also back in there with a trailer and take it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes agree...its good to know that IF something occured i would be covered. But, that doesnt mean I want to leave it there overnights. Talking to United Rentals today and I can rent a 16ft trailer for $123 a day. If things work out I would take it Aug 3rd and return it on Aug 7 (taking advantage of holiday and them closed). So, that might be the route i go.

I still also like the thought of leaving at neighbors but just a tough call. I mean someone could also back in there with a trailer and take it.
Aug 7th "holiday"?.....yup, in Canada.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Check with the rental yard, and they may sell the trailer at a nice price. Then you can haul the trailer as you choose with less stress.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I 2nd the trail cam. My family has farm land on a 2 mile dead end road that turns into a driveway and an abandoned farm stead. We have a gate across the driveway. It's been hit, and the chain has been cut for hang out spots and parties. We have equipment out in the open during the busy times. Biggest detorant is making the place look active. A cheap mail box really made people stop and turn around. We have a cheap trail came in the door yard that gets license plates clear. It also alerts us if there's activity. It's through our cell provider and only like 5.00 extra on the bill. We get an alert and picture and call and meet the sheriff there. Dead end roads aren't really the best places to hang out........no way out. A few people got caught down there and word of month travels......funny how that works.

A lot of our equipment has a kill know on the battery for winter storage. It'd help too for extra security but can still get winched on.

20 years ago a skid loader was stolen at the local fair. It was the last day and pretty crazy. Someone had a key and came with their truck and trailer picked it up and drove off no one really paid attention thinking it was a dealer.

Sadly more people will put more effort into bad things than looking for a full time job.

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560LE, Grapple, bucket, snow plow, forks, stump bucket
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
You can get something like this https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/ , I bought something like this for my Polaris SXS when I wads traveling from Ohio to Utah. The unit I bought worked via phone lines and provided alarms when it went out predefined boundaries. It showed on a map where it was. Do some homework and see what you can find.