Leaving Tractor at other property

yzinger

Feb 5, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi all - I have recently purchased a small piece of property with a home that needs to be demo'd.

I'd like to have the BX there for maybe a week or two but I do not have a trailer and don't want to buy one for this limited activity. I could rent a trailer but that would be costly over a 2wk span also.

What are OTT thoughts on getting the tractor there and then when leaving take off the front wheels or something along those lines. It isnt tough to do and you would think this would make it harder to steal no?

Other option also could be to use tractor to place large tree across driveway entrance each time I leave.

What are your thoughts on these approaches and let me know of any other things might be good?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi all - I have recently purchased a small piece of property with a home that needs to be demo'd.

I'd like to have the BX there for maybe a week or two but I do not have a trailer and don't want to buy one for this limited activity. I could rent a trailer but that would be costly over a 2wk span also.

What are OTT thoughts on getting the tractor there and then when leaving take off the front wheels or something along those lines. It isnt tough to do and you would think this would make it harder to steal no?

Other option also could be to use tractor to place large tree across driveway entrance each time I leave.

What are your thoughts on these approaches and let me know of any other things might be good?
If somebody wants to steal it they will. Trees can be moved and a little BX tractor can be winched or lifted onto a trailer. Your best ptotection is theft insurance.

Dan

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If somebody wants to steal it they will. Trees can be moved and a little BX tractor can be winched or lifted onto a trailer. Your best ptotection is theft insurance.

Dan
Theft insurance (maybe use "Inland Marine") will offer coverage for a full year, but will not be cheap either.
Especially,...... at an unoccupied property?
Buying a new or used trailer, and then reselling it when necessary, is most likely your best option.
Equipment trailers have near zero depreciation!

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
IMO, insurance…that covers the worst case (total loss for whatever reason whether at home, during transport, or remote location)

beyond that if you want to keep honest people honest, or prevent someone taking a joyride, pull battery, fuse or add a secondary ignition. (That would only make it harder to steal on the first trespass…over 2 weeks they can try harder next visit if ambitious)

either way as mentioned above it can be lifted / winched without much effort. Same is true at your residence. If you go to work everyday that can be patterned pretty easy if so one up to no good. To me insurance is a good idea either way. (Maybe check your homeowners policy or coverage? Could already be covered in your blanket or maybe you can add to it?)

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
If you go the stash it and pull tires way a cellular trail cam might not be a bad thing to leave along as well. They are fairly cheap these days and some offer free subscriptions. Won’t stop a theft but might get their plates or identity. You also could maybe get a call in that someone just stole my tractor well it’s still being towed on a trailer in your area. If they had some work to do to steal it maybe you could get them in the act. Guess it depends on the location and response time in that area.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
A fabric sling and a car hauler trailer with a big winch will slip your BX right off the ground and onto a trailer, missing 1 front wheel or not. Just watch Matt's Off Road Recovery (or TRail MAter) youtube videos of them doing just that with SXS's, Jeeps and what not all the time.o_O

Better (and more of a hassle) would be to remove all 4 wheels or hide it really well somehow.:rolleyes:

A determined thief :devilish: will steal it even if it's nailed down however. :mad:

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
i believe tractor is covered by homeowners policy but likely only at my current residence. I will talk to insurance folks.
My homeowners policy insures my tractor at my residence and at my land BUT not in transit. (Farmers). I did notify Farmers when I purchased the land and made sure I was insured for liability and theft of my personal property, tractor included along with loss of tractor shed should that arise.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Just in case you don't know... the keys are all the same key. Some models are a little different but it's not hard to buy a master set of keys that will work with all the models.

I used to pull out the 40 amp main fuse and leave the pto switch just ever so slightly "On". Now I don't worry about it, out of sight, out of mind...

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
i believe tractor is covered by homeowners policy but likely only at my current residence. I will talk to insurance folks.
Better check on that. I have a pretty standard home owners insurance policy and reading all the 'fine print' it doesn't cover my tractor or any utility trailers. Covers my Zero Turn mower however as unscheduled property. Go figure.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I don't have a good answer for you on anti theft because there really isn't one.

But on transport it would be cheap and easy to rent a Uhaul for an hour and then return it. Rent it again to take it home. Those places are scattered around like roaches. I've yet to need any of their rentals and have it not be available at any of their locations with them seeming to be every 2 miles.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Quit skimping on serious matters. Buy yourself a real trailer that you’ll need further on down the road anyway and quit worrying about this.

It’s better than insurance…and you don’t have to be without a tractor while the ins. co. argues about what really happened ….and you don’t have to look forever to find another tractor like the one you lost to theft that you could have prevented for the same money as insurance.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
IMO, insurance…that covers the worst case (total loss for whatever reason whether at home, during transport, or remote location)

beyond that if you want to keep honest people honest, or prevent someone taking a joyride, pull battery, fuse or add a secondary ignition. (That would only make it harder to steal on the first trespass…over 2 weeks they can try harder next visit if ambitious)

either way as mentioned above it can be lifted / winched without much effort. Same is true at your residence. If you go to work everyday that can be patterned pretty easy if so one up to no good. To me insurance is a good idea either way. (Maybe check your homeowners policy or coverage? Could already be covered in your blanket or maybe you can add to it?)
I seriously doubt that any homeowners policy would cover equipment left/stored at a remote location,...... as described by the OP.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Quit skimping on serious matters. Buy yourself a real trailer that you’ll need further on down the road anyway and quit worrying about this.

It’s better than insurance…and you don’t have to be without a tractor while the ins. co. argues about what really happened ….and you don’t have to look forever to find another tractor like the one you lost to theft that you could have prevented for the same money as insurance.
This is by FAR the best option.
A trailer will also retain significant value, while an insurance policy will only serve to deplete your checkbook over time.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I seriously doubt that any homeowners policy would cover equipment left/stored at a remote location,...... as described by the OP.
Mine does. The second property I own is covered under my homeowners blanket policy… State Farm Insurance in Ohio. I’ve nhad to expand my coverage so it increases my premium but it is no different than adding additional items such as jewelry or firearms so says my insurance guy. I’ve never used it t so truly I don’t know what happens when it’s go time. My KTAC is said to cover theft as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Mine does. The second property I own is covered under my homeowners blanket policy… State Farm Insurance in Ohio. I’ve nhad to expand my coverage so it increases my premium but it is no different than adding additional items such as jewelry or firearms so says my insurance guy. I’ve never used it t so truly I don’t know what happens when it’s go time. My KTAC is said to cover theft as well.
"I've never used it so truly don't know what happens when it is go time"

Truer words were never spoken!
NONE of us have the REAL answer prior to a loss!
IMHO insurance companies deliberately structure their policies with endless loopholes.