Leaky backhoe, normal?

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Stuck a mechanical thumb on my backhoe to grab things. Snatch up a 8"-10" x 4ft log, squeeze it and crunch it tight, try to run across the yard ( 800ft?) with it and it drops from the grips. small boulders a little bigger than the bucket or anything else and it drops. I have to drive with one hand while holding the bucket curl lever to make it to my final destination.

Is that normal????

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Stuck a mechanical thumb on my backhoe to grab things. Snatch up a 8"-10" x 4ft log, squeeze it and crunch it tight, try to run across the yard ( 800ft?) with it and it drops from the grips. small boulders a little bigger than the bucket or anything else and it drops. I have to drive with one hand while holding the bucket curl lever to make it to my final destination.

Is that normal????
I can't say about normal but the cylinder should not leak down that fast.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
For a second there I thought this thread might be one of those medical commercials you see on TV.

"If you experience leaky backhoe, or an extended cylinder for more than 4 hours contact your physician immediately."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Is that normal????
I don't think it should leak down that fast especially with engine running.

However, regarding your question as to being "normal". - No. That isn't "normal" to drive that far with a load in the BH bucket with one hand on the wheel and the other on the bh control stick. Simply put the load in the loader bucket where it belongs and you won't have an issue any longer. Bouncing across the yard with a load in the bh bucket isn't a great idea... it's hard on hydraulic cylinders. You may also find yourself doing a wheelie before too long. ;)

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Doesnt sound normal to me, but I have never had a backhoe that small. I can tell you my larger one (it had a hydraulic thumb) doesnt let go of anything.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Like already stated, it shouldn't leak that fast. Have you looked for external leaks, wet with oil?
I know my cylinder needs rebuilding, the rod is dinged and scratched. But I can pick up an 8' log, get down and chunk it up with the chain saw, climb back up and grab another log, repeat. It has yet to drop a log on my feet. Lol
It might sound like overkill for cutting firewood, but my legs hold up better than my back.
Getting back to your problem, if its not the cylinder bypassing the piston it could also be the valve leaking by.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I don't have much to add, except that there are two cylinders involved. One for the bucket position, and one for the thumb. I assume a hydraulic thumb? Maybe I missed that detail...have to go back now and read again...

OK, Mechanical thumb...my bad...I could delete this post I guess, but always wonder what deleted posts were about, so I will not delete this one...LOL

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NOT 'normal', as others have said....
...one of 3 possible problems
1) seals bad in bucket cylinder
2) bucket spool valve seals bad
3) hose / fitting leak

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
NOT 'normal', as others have said....
...one of 3 possible problems
1) seals bad in bucket cylinder
2) bucket spool valve seals bad
3) hose / fitting leak
Greensvillejay summed it up pretty good.

Only other thing I can imagine is divine intervention... :ROFLMAO:

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
If there is no external oil leakage, it's the valve. Because of the displacement difference on each side of the piston, when the valve is not operated, the only way the cylinder can drift is leakage on the ground or past the spool. Could also drift if the valve isn't centering.

Last edited:

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Ok Ill go with maybe you just need more experience with it? Did you keep your RPM's up for hydo flow? Bucket curled or just hanging straight down? Maybe the thumb, depending on the objects size should have been opened more or closed more. Did you grab it with just the tip of the bucket and thumb? Note the picture above with the log grab in GSD's post. I have picked up some huge slabs of field stone and taken them across the yard. I do carry them with bucket curled so as not to lose my grip. Made some steps (all natural) from big pieces of field stone. Logs not as much of a problem you can get a better bite, but YES if you dont have it clamped just right you can lose it but its not because of leak down!

Last edited:

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Ok Ill go with maybe you just need more experience with it? Did you keep your RPM's up for hydo flow? Bucket curled or just hanging straight down? Maybe the thumb, depending on the objects size should have been opened more or closed more. Did you grab it with just the tip of the bucket and thumb? Note the picture above with the log grab in GSD's post. I have picked up some huge slabs of field stone and taken them across the yard. I do carry them with bucket curled so as not to lose my grip. Made some steps (all natural) from big pieces of field stone. Logs not as much of a problem you can get a better bite, but YES if you dont have it clamped just right you can lose it but its not because of leak down!

Not saying I am a pro, though I think I am now after using her for 200+ hours, probably 180hr on the hoe. I got a pretty good idea how to use her, and, I do make sure she is clamped up tight. I dont haul a** across the bumps/yard (more for my body suspension) as I was trying to avoid dropping logs and rocks. I def make sure I get as good as bites as I can get. I run around 23/2400 rpm for those duties and curl when I can. Being so low to the ground with the 23 (which was another reason I wanted the 2601) sometimes I have no choice but to raise the bucket out of the curl position.

I will go through and check ALL hydraulic fittings for loosness and oil drips.

As a side note, if I have the backhoe in the culed and locked position (where you can put the pin in and lock/store it) it will be on the ground easily by morning. I know they do leak down, but, I see diggers with buckets n backhoes up for years. Not saying thats good for it, but, those two things made me wonder.

Thanks again all, will investigate.

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
You may also find yourself doing a wheelie before too long. ;)
Been doing wheelies a ton, and, I have even jumpped her 2 feet off the ground a few times. She is just a little too small for my needs. She gets the job done, but, man does she get beat :( . I knew it going in but was pinned and had my hands tied.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My new B2601 with a BH70 hoe would drop the boom cylinder in a matter of minutes with the engine running or off. The dealer took it in and "said" he replaced the boom cylinder, but the second time I used it the boom again dropped. Took it to another dealer and they rebuilt the cylinder, now it takes a few hours to drop but that may change, it did before. My guess from the beginning is that there is an issue with the valve. The thumb kit and mounts for the thumb are all wrong, I modified them to make it usable till parts might be available. I expected better.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Doesnt sound normal to me, but I have never had a backhoe that small. I can tell you my larger one (it had a hydraulic thumb) doesnt let go of anything.
Ditto:
My L48 TLB (11' hoe with hyd. thumb) does not drop anything.....until I tell it to!
Neither does my 2yr. old Labrador retriever!

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Ditto:
My L48 TLB (11' hoe with hyd. thumb) does not drop anything.....until I tell it to!
Neither does my 2yr. old Labrador retriever!

Had an ex gf drop me like a bad habit. She is probably the one that put my BX23 together 😭

• Haha

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
I expected better.
Yea, I know what you mean. There are a few little things here and there that get me. I know the BX23 is the starting line of "tractors", but, still, I would think they would have made the little things a weeeee bit better, even for the small line. Working that hoe on a 3gpm pump is a lesson in patience itself. It beats a shovel but did want that 6gpm behind her like the 2601.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
You should be able to raise the relief pressure for that function that is getting droopy. Some machines get very conservative settings from factory. Far lower thresholds than the factory pressure spec. Should have a lock ring and an Alan key adjustment. It is very sensitive. I would only move it 1/4 turns at a time until your satisfied. Your boom is more than likely the culprit valve. Which should be the first or second from the right side of the valve stack (standing off the machine).