Large shavings in hydraulic filter

hollnagelc

Equipment
L3200HST, 5' brush hog, 5' box blade, 6' finish mower, 4' tiller
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Serviced my kubota L3200 today. It has 301 hours. I had the 50 hour service done at the dealer. This is my first time changing the hydraulic filter since then. The hydraulic filter had a pretty good bit of large metal shavings.

I started to wonder if it was changed to begin with but I'm pretty sure it was.

Just curious if this something others have seen with same tractor. I know its still not a lot of hours but i figured a lot of that stuff would been out of the system at the 50 hour service.

Thanks

Chris

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450189647.336220.jpg

Last edited:

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
Wow! That is beyond machining remnants. There is definitely something that is dredging material out of the case or a gear. Exploratory surgery may be in your future.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

vickark

Equipment
L3200, fel,backhoe,sgr 1060 grapple, boxblade, lp bush hog,post hole auger
Jun 16, 2013
Texas
When I changed the filters at 50 hours on my L3200 there was nothing like that. I had a very small piece of rubber, (probably from a lip seal) and enough shavings to barely show up on a shop towel.
I know this is not what you want to hear, but it looks like some possible gear alignment problem going on . I think with this problem, you should be able to get some help from your dealer on this problem.
Please keep us posted on the cause and outcome on this.
Hopefully it's a minor (and inexpensive) fix.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yikes! Makes me want to check and change the oil on my L3200 right now and it's not at the 50 hour mark yet! :eek:

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
I did some more searching on the web. And found a few more that showed excess metal. Seems it cleared up for them anyways.

Picking up some super UDT2 fluid today and going to go ahead and change out all the fluid too.

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Did the dealer just change the filter @50 or did they do a full service including a hyd oil change?

I looked back at my records and it shows it all was changed. I know filter was because original was painted gray. But I'm doubting they did the fluid and charged me for it. Should of just did it all myself like I normally do.

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Also original dealer here sold out.

Have another kubota dealer that opened but none of the people from the old dealer are there so can't really ask no one.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Seems like all the newer Kubotas only require a filter change @50. The older ones like my 2000 model L3000 required a full oil and filter change. After seeing for myself what was in the oil I have never ran any of my new tractors past 50 hrs without changing all the fluid. I have bought 3 new tractors and all of them had metal in the oil @50 but the second change was clean. Even though the book says filter only I still say the 50hr oil change is the most important service of the tractors life.

On a side note, I would suggest you drain the oil in your front end. If it's never been changed it's going to be even worse than your trans fluid.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Do not be surprised. I have seen some cruddy work and some not done at all at some pretty busy, supposedly well managed places. If a worker is by himself and maybe had a fall out with the boss, was forgetful, etc., you never really can depend on what you may think you get. This sloppy potential almost cost me a major truck accident. One single owner (only worker) repair place darn near also cost me a near accident with another vehicle with part of a brake job partly done, missing the torque of the retainer bolt..

I've decided it is much more likely to get a dependable job from long established places where the boss is close to the work, rather than a branch dealer of a large organization such as tractors or vehicles. Wearing that uniform provided by the company doesn't mean a darn thing.

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Seems like all the newer Kubotas only require a filter change @50. The older ones like my 2000 model L3000 required a full oil and filter change. After seeing for myself what was in the oil I have never ran any of my new tractors past 50 hrs without changing all the fluid. I have bought 3 new tractors and all of them had metal in the oil @50 but the second change was clean. Even though the book says filter only I still say the 50hr oil change is the most important service of the tractors life.

On a side note, I would suggest you drain the oil in your front end. If it's never been changed it's going to be even worse than your trans fluid.

Thanks I haven't thought of that I think I will go ahead and do that too. I seen the book called for either the udt fluid or 80w/90. I might go with valvoline 75w90 synthetic don't see what it would hurt.

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Do not be surprised. I have seen some cruddy work and some not done at all at some pretty busy, supposedly well managed places. If a worker is by himself and maybe had a fall out with the boss, was forgetful, etc., you never really can depend on what you may think you get. This sloppy potential almost cost me a major truck accident. One single owner (only worker) repair place darn near also cost me a near accident with another vehicle with part of a brake job partly done, missing the torque of the retainer bolt..

I've decided it is much more likely to get a dependable job from long established places where the boss is close to the work, rather than a branch dealer of a large organization such as tractors or vehicles. Wearing that uniform provided by the company doesn't mean a darn thing.

Yeah I know better than to let other people do the work. Especially something I can do myself. I actually prefer doing my own mechanic work. Unless I really don't feel comfortable about the job.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The 75w90 won't hurt anything. Biggest reason I stay with the trans oil is because I order mine in 55 gallon drums and don't want to stock 2 types of oil.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've seen photos of a few filters like that, but usually at 50 hrs. It probably just caught some more and will be fine.

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Changed the front axle fluid. Went with Mystik 80w90. I don't think they changed it or the hydraulic fluid on the 50 hour service. Drain bolts still looked to good and painted. Didn't hardly look scuffed up. Oh well I knew better in the first place to get someone else to do it.

Last edited:

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Also adjusted out my safety switch on my HST pedal. Did it once before. Adjusted it a good ways out this time.

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
What did the fluid look like?
Hydraulic fluid didn't look to bad. Found just a few small metal pieces after draining it. Nothing alarming though.

Diff fluid was a hydraulic fluid by the smell of it. It had got pretty dark in color. I haven't emptied the container yet. So don't know if it had any metal shavings or not.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Assuming your April 2013 OTT join date coincides with when you bought the tractor, it's out of warranty? I bought my BX and joined OTT April 2013 also, and I'm out too.:(

These guys have given you great advice, as they usually do. :)

You now have a clean slate, with new fluid and filter.

Assuming everything is working as it should, I would plan on at least another hydraulic filter change in the near future, to see if the shavings are showing up still.

I'm thinking another filter change after 25 or 50 hours. Not sure if I'd take it out 100 hours, just in case something has just recently let loose inside, causing what you saw on the old filter.

Best of luck!!:)

hollnagelc

Equipment
Apr 15, 2013
East TX
Assuming your April 2013 OTT join date coincides with when you bought the tractor, it's out of warranty? I bought my BX and joined OTT April 2013 also, and I'm out too.:(

These guys have given you great advice, as they usually do. :)

You now have a clean slate, with new fluid and filter.

Assuming everything is working as it should, I would plan on at least another hydraulic filter change in the near future, to see if the shavings are showing up still.

I'm thinking another filter change after 25 or 50 hours. Not sure if I'd take it out 100 hours, just in case something has just recently let loose inside, causing what you saw on the old filter.

Best of luck!!:)
i bought it back in the first half of 2012. So no warranty for me :eek: I was thinking about going 50 hours and changing the filter again. Definitely good info. I'm a member of a couple truck forums and was hoping to find a good tractor forum. Which it looks like i did:D