Landscape rake gauge wheel

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I was discussing the relative uselessness of my landscape rake with my Kubota dealer. He pointed out that when they were first introduced by Servis/Rhino, they only came with gauge wheels, that his had them, and that they made the rake a heck of a tool. So, since I had already built a gauge wheel for my Rhino blade, I decided to use it for the rake as well.
WOW!! What a difference it made! I had just finished moving a dozen yards of dirt from a bank to a void, and was trying to straighten up both areas. Worked like a dream! Both areas quickly became smoothly contoured - "landscaped"!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
So if I load up my LandPride rake and bring it over to Spokane will you show me how to do that to mine? I like what you did :D

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
So if I load up my LandPride rake and bring it over to Spokane will you show me how to do that to mine? I like what you did :D
Heck yes! But you need a wheel, hub, spindle, a short piece of really HD tubing for the yoke shaft, a yoke, and a turnbuckel & a bunch of 3/8 x 3" steel flat bar. The actual putting it together is fun, quick and easy.
Land Pride offers dual gauge wheels as an option. Of course you might have to mortgage the house for it.
The gauge wheel allows the rake/blade to hang between the wheel and the 3ph lift arms, much like a road grader blade. It does a great job of knocking down the high spots and filling in the low ones.
Send a PM and I'll send directions to the house.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I like the idea of using the turnbuckle for height adjustment. A lot of companies skimp and just make the wheel have a handful of fixed positions.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I like the idea of using the turnbuckle for height adjustment. A lot of companies skimp and just make the wheel have a handful of fixed positions.
My dealer said the same thing.
The King Kutter rake has about 5/8" of vertical slop in the king pin and it is welded, so I'm not sure how much it matters for me. I guess I got what I paid for! So my next project will probably be to build a vertical spacer for the king pin - I might even toss a jerk fitting on the surround.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a 7' rake I use to clean up rock the oil lease guys left from an old road that I want to mow for hay. The gauge wheels would work excellent for that, but then I need to rake hay that was wasted at the feeder.

An added feature would be to have another ear sticking up by the turnbuckle end nearest the equip. a little further back so you could just remove one pin, pull up the entire assy., to have it way off the ground. Then you could re-pin it and keep on working, and when you needed the wheel again just let it down.

gpreuss, nice idea. Is patent pending, or can I forge ahead with fabrication?

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
D2Cat,
I would say forge ahead, I bet gpreuss would be happy for you do copy and alter his design!
That is why most of us post our ideas and accomplishments on here. ;)

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Wolfman said it right - go ahead with what you want. Having the extra weight might make it rake hay better, too! Thanks for the compliment.
When I did the blade, like an idiot I didn't put the wheel far enough back to allow the blade to rotate all the way around. After my next trip to the steel mill, that will get fixed.
I got the wheel, hub and yoke from agrisupply.com. Good prices on them. Picked up the yoke sleeve at the steel mill - I think they just gave it to me.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Picked up the yoke sleeve at the steel mill - I think they just gave it to me.
Well yeah they have to get rid of all that scrap some how :rolleyes: