L6060HSTC Question

tjaltz

Equipment
L6060HSTC, B3200HSD
Mar 17, 2019
South Carolina
I’m new to Orange Tractor Talks, and I’m looking for some advice on a new purchase. I’m upgrading my B3200 to a larger tractor to take care of 35 acres. About 25 acres of fields for a rotary cutter, a grapple for down tress/limbs and trail maintenance. I need a cab and I am seriously considering an L6060 Grand. Will that machine be able to handle an 1872 rotary cutter okay on property with some hills and slopes? I know it has the necessary PTO horsepower, but is it big and heavy enough to handle a 6 foot cutter behind it going down or up a hill? Any other thoughts regarding the L6060 would be helpful. Thanks

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I've got a 4060 HST open, with loaded rears, I use a 1872 cutter and live in hilly area, yes, it will have more than enough power. in fact for that you could easily go to an 8 foot cutter with power to spare. you won't be disappointed.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I***8217;m new to Orange Tractor Talks, and I***8217;m looking for some advice on a new purchase. I***8217;m upgrading my B3200 to a larger tractor to take care of 35 acres. About 25 acres of fields for a rotary cutter, a grapple for down tress/limbs and trail maintenance. I need a cab and I am seriously considering an L6060 Grand. Will that machine be able to handle an 1872 rotary cutter okay on property with some hills and slopes? I know it has the necessary PTO horsepower, but is it big and heavy enough to handle a 6 foot cutter behind it going down or up a hill? Any other thoughts regarding the L6060 would be helpful. Thanks
Yes, but you will probably need front weights depending upon the weight of your mower and ground conditions.

I have an L6060 ROPS which I use with a Woods BB720X 6' rotary cutter in sometimes very steep conditions. This is a HD cutter with a 160 HP gearbox and it is heavy.

I have a full set of front weights (7) but mounting the front weight bracket requires removal of the grill guard so I have never mounted it. Rather I mount 4 weights onto the grill guard. This is adequate for my purposes but the other three weights would help in some conditions.

Of course, I remove the FEL when the mower is attached. Be advised that no front weights can be mounted with the FEL installed but one would not want to do so in any case.

The L6060 is rather light in the rear so you will need loaded rear tires and a rear counterweight to do serious grapple work.

I change/repair my own tires so never use liquid ballast but I do nave 2 cast iron weights on each rear wheel (planning to add a third to each). I also have a 4-in-one bucket, which weighs about twice as much as does the standard material bucket. Without the counterweight installed, my 6060 will not back up an incline with an empty bucket unless FWA is engaged. I have a CAT II Kubota ballast box filled with bags of playground sand which I use with both my M9960 and my L6060. No significant traction issues with the ballast box installed on either.

Be advised that the hose routing of the third function hoses (third function valve needed for grapple) makes the hoses very vulnerable to obstruction damage. There is a person in Canada who makes a guard to reduce vulnerability.

The only other significant gripes that I have with my L6060 is that the adjustable stop for the position control lever is a just about useless and I am not fond of the design of the hydro pedal but this is personal preference.

Otherwise, I love my 6060 and it saves me considerable time vis a vis the gear drive MF tractor that it replaced.

SDT

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've got a 4060 HST open, with loaded rears, I use a 1872 cutter and live in hilly area, yes, it will have more than enough power. in fact for that you could easily go to an 8 foot cutter with power to spare. you won't be disappointed.
I am regularly power limited with my L6060 (nothing wrong with it) and HD 6' cutter and would never consider anything larger.

I do sometimes mow heavy grass and find the stall guard regularly slowing ground speed (even to stop and even on level surfaces) if turned on. I mow in M range and as fast as the mower (lawn mower sharp blades) will cut well and conditions permit.

SDT

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
interesting SDT, I routinely mow over the height of my hood on my 4060, usually in Medium rabbit, occasionally thick and wet enough to drop into Medium turtle, but rarely slower than 3-4 mph speed. curious if your having some other kind of problem maybe. an additional 20ish hp should be far greater capability to keep up. is it clumping up under the deck? when I first got my rotary cutter I had to adjust the rear wheel as it was allowing the rear of the deck to be too low, which wouldn't allow any clippings to come out of the mower deck (not chain equipped, just the metal plate....which I'd like to change) once adjusted, it worked great. before it I was having to constantly lift up and down on 3 point to allow the clippings out from under the deck. I run at the display of just under 540 pto speed, I try not to let it go over 540.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
interesting SDT, I routinely mow over the height of my hood on my 4060, usually in Medium rabbit, occasionally thick and wet enough to drop into Medium turtle, but rarely slower than 3-4 mph speed. curious if your having some other kind of problem maybe. an additional 20ish hp should be far greater capability to keep up. is it clumping up under the deck? when I first got my rotary cutter I had to adjust the rear wheel as it was allowing the rear of the deck to be too low, which wouldn't allow any clippings to come out of the mower deck (not chain equipped, just the metal plate....which I'd like to change) once adjusted, it worked great. before it I was having to constantly lift up and down on 3 point to allow the clippings out from under the deck. I run at the display of just under 540 pto speed, I try not to let it go over 540.
It all depend upon what you are mowing and how fast you want to travel.

Tall weeds/brush mow MUCH more easily than does heavy grass. Get into some brome grass that is laying down and you'll think you are hitched to a snow blower.

I bought the BB720X because it has a deep deck, providing lots of grass clearance. Grass clearance allows the deck to clear as does rear chain shielding rather than a metal or poly band. The mower is adjusted properly and I keep the blades lawnmower sharp, which helps.

That said, I do mow closely and travel s fast as conditions and power permit.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

Black Lab Guy

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1105 Loader, TRA 66 Grapple, Kobota Bucket, Bush Hog, Box Blade,
Jul 4, 2021
Sequatchie Valley Tennessee
The recommendation below is from SDT, another member. I also have a L6060 with a grapple which uses the Kubota 3rd function hydraulic valve. Speaking from experience, pay attention to what he is saying.

Be advised that the hose routing of the third function hoses (third function valve needed for grapple) makes the hoses very vulnerable to obstruction damage. There is a person in Canada who makes a guard to reduce vulnerability.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My L3560 does great with a 1272 mower. I usually mow around 4MPH, slow down on some of the inclines.

Resized_20190608_100107.jpeg
Resized_20190608_095431.jpeg
Resized_20190530_110242_9753001.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Here you go.

(51) L6060 Mowing. | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

You should have been there.

SDT

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3800 Shutt Shift W/R4 Tires Loaded 4WD LA 524 Loader W/Quick Attach 66" Bucket
Yes, but you will probably need front weights depending upon the weight of your mower and ground conditions.

I have an L6060 ROPS which I use with a Woods BB720X 6' rotary cutter in sometimes very steep conditions. This is a HD cutter with a 160 HP gearbox and it is heavy.

I have a full set of front weights (7) but mounting the front weight bracket requires removal of the grill guard so I have never mounted it. Rather I mount 4 weights onto the grill guard. This is adequate for my purposes but the other three weights would help in some conditions.

Of course, I remove the FEL when the mower is attached. Be advised that no front weights can be mounted with the FEL installed but one would not want to do so in any case.

The L6060 is rather light in the rear so you will need loaded rear tires and a rear counterweight to do serious grapple work.

I change/repair my own tires so never use liquid ballast but I do nave 2 cast iron weights on each rear wheel (planning to add a third to each). I also have a 4-in-one bucket, which weighs about twice as much as does the standard material bucket. Without the counterweight installed, my 6060 will not back up an incline with an empty bucket unless FWA is engaged. I have a CAT II Kubota ballast box filled with bags of playground sand which I use with both my M9960 and my L6060. No significant traction issues with the ballast box installed on either.

The only other significant gripes that I have with my L6060 is that the adjustable stop for the position control lever is a just about useless and I am not fond of the design of the hydro pedal but this is personal preference.

Otherwise, I love my 6060 and it saves me considerable time vis a vis the gear drive MF tractor that it replaced.

SDT

Paul Short from Newfoundland makes a third function protection cover. That is the link to it. Just got my L6060 last week, am planning on putting on as much protection items as I can find as I work more in forest than any place else and stick, stumps, rocks can do a lot of damage.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Just out of dumb curiosity, why not run steel lines down the loader arm and just use a short flexible hose at the pivot end? Floppy hoses on a loader arm are just begging for issues. It's actually cheaper for the hard line anyway over a long run of hose.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Paul Short from Newfoundland makes a third function protection cover. That is the link to it. Just got my L6060 last week, am planning on putting on as much protection items as I can find as I work more in forest than any place else and stick, stumps, rocks can do a lot of damage.
Wow! He sure is proud of his stuff! Why not buy a MIG welder and make your own guards. It's really not that hard to do. It's also very enjoyable and you'll be able to fix things when they break.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I’m new to Orange Tractor Talks, and I’m looking for some advice on a new purchase. I’m upgrading my B3200 to a larger tractor to take care of 35 acres. About 25 acres of fields for a rotary cutter, a grapple for down tress/limbs and trail maintenance. I need a cab and I am seriously considering an L6060 Grand. Will that machine be able to handle an 1872 rotary cutter okay on property with some hills and slopes? I know it has the necessary PTO horsepower, but is it big and heavy enough to handle a 6 foot cutter behind it going down or up a hill? Any other thoughts regarding the L6060 would be helpful. Thanks
I have an MX6000 HSTC currently, but last year had no problems dragging an RCR1884 around with the MX6000 HST (now sold) cutting 12 or so acres on my property which is very hilly, and about the same acreage at a friend's property which is basically flat. As @SDT said, the type and condition of the vegetation being cut combined with how fast you can or want to cut are important variables.

Neither of the scenarios shown below presented a challenge for the MX6000 and RCR1884.

Start with this ...

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

And end with this ...

24.jpg

And then there's this ...

lvr_mx_03.jpg

lvr_mx_06.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Wow! He sure is proud of his stuff! Why not buy a MIG welder and make your own guards. It's really not that hard to do. It's also very enjoyable and you'll be able to fix things when they break.
Well, they do take some time to learn to use. You cant just buy a welder and fabricate something like this in 2 hours. Also just a welder would not be close to enough. YOu would have to be able to cut the steel and the 3rd fxn guard is rounded in some areas. Sure you could slop it together with angles, but it would not be as good. That said I do see the benefit in learning to weld for repairs. I have one myself and am learning.

So to me it is worth it to purchase something that will save me thousands in time and potential damage to a very expensive machine. To each his own.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 3800 Shutt Shift W/R4 Tires Loaded 4WD LA 524 Loader W/Quick Attach 66" Bucket

That is an idea. However to do a decent job of protecting and also make it look more than half a$$ed it take way more than just a MIG welder. You need to be able to cut well and bend accurately also which is more of an investment that just a MIG welder. In addition not everyone has the ability to have the finesse to make something like that. For instance I have arthritis so bad in my hands I can't hold on to anything more that a few minutes without it being painful and I don't mean just a little bit either.