L6060 disable

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060 ROPS, Wicked grapple, LP RCF2772 cutter, LP BB3572 box blade
Dec 8, 2013
AR
I'm looking to disable an L6060 ROPS to hopefully stop it from being stolen. Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
A battery disconnect under the hood can be quite effective. Most of the time when someone wants something, they don't want to work to hard to take it. If they try to jump the starter and nothing happens, they probably won't stick around.

A heavy duty logging chain around the axle and a stout tree is pretty effective as well.

Till I switched battery cables on my old L1501, it had a screw in fuse on the positive side. When I would go out of town, I used to unscrew the fuse and put it in the bottom of the tool box under the seat so you had to dig to find it :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A very effective way to stop a diesel is to put a stop in the fuel line that feeds the injection pump, make it very discrete. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
All that and take the battery. **take note of + and - cables to battery,dont reverse them **
L4610 we used to leave in the park, just engaged the pto, prevented starting.

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2013
AR
Thank you all, I really appreciate it. I plan on leaving it at our land which has nothing but work on it. The neighbors house is fairly close, but they both work. I'm just trying to be cautious, these things ain't cheap. Keep the thoughts coming! Thanks again.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
mine is in the lean to....can't see it from anywhere. I have both hydros down all the way down. I also have a lo-jack on it. I've got a lo-jack on anything worth more than 5k to me. next is my trailer when it gets the tongue toolbox with battery and winch. I have one on my big enclosed car trailer, my old 1st gen cummins, and my new 2013 ram. my daily I don't worry about.....it's a 03 ford regular cab work truck, no power anything, not even 4wd....if they steal it, I get to go shopping....gotta love insurance sometimes.

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
the problem that I see for you is that the tractor is stored where no one is around, so potential thieves have as much time as they need to get it running.

i like the idea of a battery disconnect, but maybe taking the battery with you is a better idea.

Same with a fuel cutoff, its a good idea, but maybe a removable fuel line with quick disconnects on both ends would work better.

I've seen some quick disconnects for fuel lines used on both KTM and BMW motorcycles. Like these:
https://ff3d8e6495061f28a832-a7869b...82f7.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/enlarged/12-0047.jpg

a pair of those and you could take the fuel line with you.

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2013
AR
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Like I said before, there is nothing on that land but work, no lean to, no shop. There are 2 large trees, guess I could get a loggin chain.

I haven't talked to the neighbor yet, but I will.
I like the "take the fuel line" option!
Battery disconnect is definitely going to happen.

I still don't have the tractor. Gonna be a few weeks before the dealer can have it all and get it all ready. So I have a bit of time to plan it out.

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
You should hide it, or park it at the neighbors.

We had a D5 left over the weekend on the side of the road someone pored a bucket of sand in the transmission. That was expensive for the insurance company. Other contractors have had the fuel stolen and sugar in the tank along with them stolen. So, if they can't steal it they might try to destroy it.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
No need for a battery disconnect, just take the main fuse at the battery out. I bought a key chain pill caddy that the fuse fits in perfectly and keep it on one of my tractor keys.

FiremanDan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2013
AR
No need for a battery disconnect, just take the main fuse at the battery out. I bought a key chain pill caddy that the fuse fits in perfectly and keep it on one of my tractor keys.
That's what I'm talking about! Pill container on the key chain, perfect!

Maybe I should install and alarm with a train horn?

I talked to my neighbor today, and of course he wants me to keep it behind his house. Such a great neighbor!

Still not sure if I want to do that or not, his house is at the back of his acreage, not a lot of room. Especially with all his stuff there.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I would talk to the neighbor and see if you can park it there. Would be safer at a house than parked in a vacant field.