L5740 filter question?

getbigorgetout

Equipment
L5740 & lots of other things.
Sep 8, 2012
NE Kansas
When my L5740 required the 50 hour service I took it into the dealer. Now that I am getting ready to do the 200 hour service myself I believe the dealer did not correctly do the 50 hour service.

I went to pick up the transmission filter (I believe it is the HST filter # HHTA0-59900) and the oil filter (HH164-32430). The parts counter was not sure which side the transmission filter went on so I also left with Suction filter # HHTA0-37710 (I believe this is the hydraulic oil filter).

I took these filters home to compare them with the machine and discovered the filter on the left side behind the step (side I get out normally) is still painted from the factory and the filter on the right side has HHTA0-59900 printed on it. I cannot find the longer suction filter anywhere.

It appears at the 50 hour service the dealer replaced the hydraulic oil filter with a HST filter HHTA0-59900 instead of replacing the transmission filter as recommended. Does this sound correct?

If this my thinking is correct what do I need to watch for?

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
Have HST B3300SU. The left filter is the Transmission (HST Filter) and the right is the Hydraulic Suction Filter (Hyd, system) My part numbers are different as yours should be for each filter, not sure what the difference would be unless one has a magnet (Transmission), would make sense for metal shavings. The HST filter can be removed without losing much fluid, but the Hydraulic Filter will drain most of the tank. My service interval also says to replace the HST filter every 200 hours (50hr too), the Hydraulic filter is replaced every 400 hours (no 50hr w/this), along with the hydraulic fluid. My dealer printed out a Quick Reference Guide for my model tractor which lists all the part numbers for maintenance items. Hope you find someone with same model that can help.

getbigorgetout

Equipment
L5740 & lots of other things.
Sep 8, 2012
NE Kansas
If the HST filter is on the left then the dealer screwed up and put the HST filter on the Hydraulic side. What idiots. Now I've been running the original transmission filter for 200 hours. I guess you don't get much for $90 per hour shop rate anymore.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take it back to the dealer and demand that they put it in writing that they screwed up and possibly voided the warranty!
I would also demand that they extend the warranty because of that! and not the 50 or 200 hour but much longer!
Not changing the filters that they should have changed and putting on the wrong filters can do some serious damage to your tractor!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I don't have my manual at this location, but my son and I did the 50 on mine and there wasn't much to it, all my filter numbers are on a different computer, you can probably find them through Messick's.

Here is a helpful link to use along with your manual until you do it a couple of times. Fuel filters are cheap, so I often just put new ones in rather than clean.

http://www.messicks.com/blog/post/Kubota-L-40-Series-Service.aspx

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I'm not in my office right now but I have the equivelant NAPA numbers for all the filters on the 5740. When I did my 50 hour service I changed the motor oil and filter, all other filters, greased, checked clutch adjustment and belt adjustment. Never changed hydraulic oil, checked front def oil.

engine oil- NAPA GOLD 7106
trans/hydraulic- NAPA 551715
fuel- NAPA 3394
Air outer. NAPA 6489
Air inner. NAPA 6490

Last edited: