L5240 PTO shaft

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
This is a cab tractor, HST, (in case that matters) with an issue with bearing, seals, snap rings, or something on the PTO output shaft. Removing the shaft seems to be pretty straight forward judging by the parts layout diagram. I'm just wondering about the splined coupler that shaft slides into on the inside. Is it likely to drop off when the shaft comes out, and if so is it accessible through the hole to put it back in place?

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
No mention/caution of the coupler falling off. It looks like it is visible from the shaft housing being removed. There is a caution for the 4wd shaft, but it looks like it should be straight forward for a pto seal/bearing. I just wonder if your not having an issue with the pto clutch, and not the rear bearing. Is the pto stub wobbly?

Attachments

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I honestly can't answer that. I haven't actually seen the tractor yet. I was just informed today that the PTO shaft was moving around" like there was a bearing problem.

I was looking at the parts breakdown to see what was involved and noticed the coupler. It doesn't seem to be necessarily held in place by anything in particular. I must assume it's possible for that to drop off while pulling the shaft out. Maybe it's not hard to fish it out and then slip it back into place. I obviously don't know that so I thought I'd ask. Maybe someone has been there.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I honestly can't answer that. I haven't actually seen the tractor yet. I was just informed today that the PTO shaft was moving around" like there was a bearing problem.

I was looking at the parts breakdown to see what was involved and noticed the coupler. It doesn't seem to be necessarily held in place by anything in particular. I must assume it's possible for that to drop off while pulling the shaft out. Maybe it's not hard to fish it out and then slip it back into place. I obviously don't know that so I thought I'd ask. Maybe someone has been there.
You are at the bottom of them machine even if it did fall off you can reach in and grab it. These rear pto stub shafts are put together like rear end pinions with a locknut sandwiching the seal and bearing. Should be straight forward as seals in the pto go out frequently. Ive done one before and never looked at the manual. Didn't have any issue. Just be sure to drain/capture the hydro fluid.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
You are at the bottom of them machine even if it did fall off you can reach in and grab it. These rear pto stub shafts are put together like rear end pinions with a locknut sandwiching the seal and bearing. Should be straight forward as seals in the pto go out frequently. Ive done one before and never looked at the manual. Didn't have any issue. Just be sure to drain/capture the hydro fluid.
Okay, that sounds promising. Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The coupling normally stays with the inner shaft, but if it doesn't it's fairly easy to pull out and reinstall.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
I saw the tractor today. It looks like nothing more than the wiper seal is coming apart and partially showing around the shaft. No sign of damage yet, the bearing and shaft are sound. No leaks at the shaft seal yet. I stopped by the dealer and ordered a seal, wiper, and an O ring for the housing. Will get back with them when I have the parts. I saw no reason not to continue using it until I get back to it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've done one. As I recall yes the collar can fall off. I don't recall it being terribly hard to reinstall though.