L4701 vs MX5400

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I'm surprised Kubota still carries the L4701 given the MX5400 is just a few thousand more than the L4701 and is more tractor.
Just two guesses: 1) the L4701 keeps selling (why discontinue a successful product) and 2) the L4701 is also the basis of their mid-sized TLB (which is also successful).

All that said - if I were buying, I would buy an MX.

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Well, after indepth time on Kubota's website, researching and reading online, and YouTube videos...
I'll be ordering an MX6000 Cab. The L4700 fell out of contention due to my needs. I didn't want to be in regression because I didn't buy enough tractor.
Conversly; The M7060 was a very serious contender due to price and function, but it's too big for me to confidently trailer it with my F250.

Thanks to all for their comments and advice.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Well, after indepth time on Kubota's website, researching and reading online, and YouTube videos...
I'll be ordering an MX6000 Cab. The L4700 fell out of contention due to my needs. I didn't want to be in regression because I didn't buy enough tractor.
Conversly; The M7060 was a very serious contender due to price and function, but it's too big for me to confidently trailer it with my F250.

Thanks to all for their comments and advice.
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be very pleased with this model. Any idea on the delivery time? Also, what upgrades did you opt for?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be very pleased with this model. Any idea on the delivery time? Also, what upgrades did you opt for?
I'll be ordering it sometime between February and April. I'm gathering the down payment, as it is far more expensive than a high B or LX as I originally intended.

I'll be ordering the MX6000 cab, all the cab add ons. Air seat, 3rd function up front, 3 remotes in back with float on 1.
FEL, rotary brush cutter, box scraper, grapple, beet juice, rear wheel weights, engine heater. Rear snow blower facing forward, tire chains.
Oh, and a Kubota baseball cap. Lol!;

• Love

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'll be ordering it sometime between February and April. I'm gathering the down payment, as it is far more expensive than a high B or LX as I originally intended.

I'll be ordering the MX6000 cab, all the cab add ons. Air seat, 3rd function up front, 3 remotes in back with float on 1.
FEL, rotary brush cutter, box scraper, grapple, beet juice, rear wheel weights, engine heater. Rear snow blower facing forward, tire chains.
Awesome! I like the rear defrost (works well), wiper, outside mirrors and work lights. I plan to add additional LEDs but the factory work lights are better than the lights on my '02 F250 7.3L.

I was able to keep the standard rear glass, standard seat and frame.

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia

That sounds like a nice package!

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I

just looked at both models. The exterior dimensions of the MX isn’t much larger than the 4701, but the loader is much beefier with more lift capacity, and the hitch is category 2. The MX is heavier, so that is usually a good thing with tractors in terms of stability and traction. But other than the loader, I think both tractors can perform the same tasks and run the same implements in category 1.
QH hitch on L4701 well give CatII option.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
That sounds like a nice package!
Hellava lot more money than I originally planned! And that is without a backhoe.
But my wife will love that cab, and I'm going to love the lift capacity and weight of the machine. I don't think that I'll ever be wanting anything bigger... But ya know how that goes.

I'd love to just buy an M62, with a Curtis Cab... But that's 10 G's more without any implements and no Air conditioning in the cab. I'd be into it 100 G's after getting a few implements. And I don't know, but I'd bet taking off the BH from an M62 is a major chore for an older guy like me.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Awesome! I like the rear defrost (works well), wiper, outside mirrors and work lights. I plan to add additional LEDs but the factory work lights are better than the lights on my '02 F250 7.3L.

I was able to keep the standard rear glass, standard seat and frame.
I see from your equipment list you've got some experience with the MX 6000. Any pointers you might have would be golden.
I've heard tales where if you upgrade the glass, seat, etc, you can keep the original seat, glass, etc. And I've also heard the opposite.
I'm in Wisconsin, a couple states away from you, and I want to buy from a local dealer I've been in contact with. But I haven't addressed the keeping the replaced parts yet. And I still haven't placed my order as im freeing funds for down payment because I don't want a one thousand dollar tractor payment.
Anyway, if you could give me any advice on replaced-parts-retention, that would be great.
Private Message me if it seems inappropriate to all involved and the masses viewing the web.

Thank You, Sir or M'aam.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I see from your equipment list you've got some experience with the MX 6000. Any pointers you might have would be golden.
I've heard tales where if you upgrade the glass, seat, etc, you can keep the original seat, glass, etc. And I've also heard the opposite.
I'm in Wisconsin, a couple states away from you, and I want to buy from a local dealer I've been in contact with. But I haven't addressed the keeping the replaced parts yet. And I still haven't placed my order as im freeing funds for down payment because I don't want a one thousand dollar tractor payment.
Anyway, if you could give me any advice on replaced-parts-retention, that would be great.
Private Message me if it seems inappropriate to all involved and the masses viewing the web.

Thank You, Sir or M'aam.
I added just about every option available and the only two options that replaced parts that were already installed in the tractor when it shipped from Japan were the rear glass with defrost and the air ride seat. Both are worth the cost to me and my dealer gave me the original rear glass, the original seat and the seat frame. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the seat, but if I end up keeping the MX6000 open station I'll have a spare seat.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I bought my 6000 used. No parts were swapped at dealer. I have added everything myself; 2 more remotes, 3rd function, grill guard/chain box.
I’d like to see a photo of your grill guard and chain box.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I’d like to see a photo of your grill guard and chain box.
Grill guard.jpeg
Grill guard chain.jpeg
Grill guard loader.jpg

Lown performance reinforced mesh chain bucket.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
View attachment 72968 View attachment 72969 View attachment 72970
Lown performance reinforced mesh chain bucket.
Nice. Thank you. Is it a bolt on application?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Nice. Thank you. Is it a bolt on application?
The chain bucket is bolt on with factory bolts, I believe. The grill guard you have to drill 4 holes in the factory grill.

If you end up getting it, install closer to the top than mine is. I had to trim some of the bottom of grill just below the LP on both sides for it to tilt forward. Totally my fault.
Grill guard chain_LI.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The chain bucket is bolt on with factory bolts, I believe. The grill guard you have to drill 4 holes in the factory grill.

If you end up getting it, install closer to the top than mine is. I had to trim some of the bottom of grill just below the LP on both sides for it to tilt forward. Totally my fault.
View attachment 72974
Thanks for the advice. I think I will order this. The price is better than other sources because it includes the chain bucket.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’m really impressed with Lown Performance, they were the first to offer the protection of their lower chin guard below the grill guard, now they have turned that into a chain box, both are great ideas, particularly as I use my tractors in heavy woodland. I will be upgrading my MX 5800 with a chain box guard.