L4701 only clicks

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
How do you KNOW that the ..... "battery is good"?

Excellent question. A good solid "KNOW" is a very good thing to have, but sometimes hard to obtain.

On the other hand, an "ASSUME" is a dime a dozen, with three more thrown in free.

Since it's clicking it's probably not a safety switch.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Please please get and read your owner's manual which has the information about testing and removing the battery. And then read the shop manual for trouble shooting. If you make a small mistake you can fry the ecu and cause very expensive failures. Simple solutions and old time remedies may not work on these newer tractors with high pressure common rail engines and computer controlled ignition. If you are not sure about some of the wiring it would be cheaper in the long run to take it to a dealer.

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Do you have an assistant?

Have an assistant sit in the seat.

Raise the hood and put your volt meter on the battery. What is your voltage? I want to see 12.4 to 12.9 volts with the key off. Now, tell your assistant to turn the key to start. Read the voltage while they're holding the key to the start position. If it's below 10v, your battery is failing. If it's staying about 12.4-12.8v, the battery is "probably" ok and your issue lies elsewhere-perhaps a failing our misadjusted hst switch, and this does happen from time to time. Sometimes I've seen them get sticks and whatever else jammed into the switch area damaging the wiring and or the switch, but that's kinda odd. Start with the easy stuff first. Battery.

BTW you can test all your safety switches on all of the L-01 and L-02 series tractors. Sitting in the seat, key OFF, hold down both of the yellow buttons in the dash for a few seconds, then turn the key on. In the dash, where your hourmeter normally is (digital), it should say "a". If so, let off of the buttons, then push them down again and hold them til you get a beep. Once you get a beep you can let off of the buttons. Just takes a couple seconds. Now you can work all your safety switch controls and each time you work them you should get a beep. Moving the hst pedal forward from neutral it should beep, and then as it returns back to neutral you should get a beep. If not, the switch is not adjusted properly or the switch is failing or the wiring is damaged. Also check your pto lever as many of them won't automaticlly return to neutral on their own so you have to manually pull the lever back as far as it'll go in it's slot.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Do you have an assistant?

Have an assistant sit in the seat.

Raise the hood and put your volt meter on the battery. What is your voltage? I want to see 12.4 to 12.9 volts with the key off. Now, tell your assistant to turn the key to start. Read the voltage while they're holding the key to the start position. If it's below 10v, your battery is failing. If it's staying about 12.4-12.8v, the battery is "probably" ok and your issue lies elsewhere-perhaps a failing our misadjusted hst switch, and this does happen from time to time. Sometimes I've seen them get sticks and whatever else jammed into the switch area damaging the wiring and or the switch, but that's kinda odd. Start with the easy stuff first. Battery.

BTW you can test all your safety switches on all of the L-01 and L-02 series tractors. Sitting in the seat, key OFF, hold down both of the yellow buttons in the dash for a few seconds, then turn the key on. In the dash, where your hourmeter normally is (digital), it should say "a". If so, let off of the buttons, then push them down again and hold them til you get a beep. Once you get a beep you can let off of the buttons. Just takes a couple seconds. Now you can work all your safety switch controls and each time you work them you should get a beep. Moving the hst pedal forward from neutral it should beep, and then as it returns back to neutral you should get a beep. If not, the switch is not adjusted properly or the switch is failing or the wiring is damaged. Also check your pto lever as many of them won't automaticlly return to neutral on their own so you have to manually pull the lever back as far as it'll go in it's slot.
Seems like excellent trouble shooting advice.
I'll bet if the OP owned a WSM he could have read the very same information.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I'll bet if the OP owned a WSM he could have read the very same information.

Funny how we'll gladly spend 5, 20, 60 thousand dollars on a tractor, but won't spend a couple hundred bucks on a manual.

What's wrong with our brains???

(No, I haven't got one, either, but I'm going to correct that!)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Funny how we'll gladly spend 5, 20, 60 thousand dollars on a tractor, but won't spend a couple hundred bucks on a manual.

What's wrong with our brains???

(No, I haven't got one, either, but I'm going to correct that!)
Your WSM need is somewhat the opposite of mine.
I live in 2 different states,...... each for 6 months.
My Kubota tractor stays in only one location though.
I actually forgot that I already had a WSM, and bought a second one. 😪

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Ok got tractor working. Y’all will laugh but the wire going to the starter had come off and I hadn’t seen it. Plugged it in started right up. So learned where starter is now! Y’all were very helpful love this forum.

Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ok got tractor working. Y’all will laugh but the wire going to the starter had come off and I hadn’t seen it. Plugged it in started right up. So learned where starter is now! Y’all were very helpful love this forum.
You STILL need to get a WSM........for future needs!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Haha! Not laughing at you, just brought back a memory

when I worked at dealer we sold a guy a 3901. Backhoe, loader, 3rd function, grapple. Guy was a total jerk when he bought it. Arrogant.

Several months go by and guy shows up at the shop with his typical attitude. Says tractor died and won't restart. Nothing. Gauges work lights work won't crank over. Starts screaming at me about how big of a piece of trash his tractor is. I know where he lives, its on my way home. So I offered to stop and have a look-see on my way home. Told the guy if it's easy I'll take care of it, if not I'll have to let the guys come pick it up and bring it to the shop. And of course he goes into orbit about how inconvenient that is....

6:30 rolls around, i head home after putting in my 11 hours. I'm tired, it was HOT (112 in the shade, about 120 in the shop), irritable, but I'm holding my end of the deal up...called this jackwagon and told him I'm on my way and I'll have a look. I rolled up the driveway and before I even got out of my little turd multi-colored car, I seen the white wire dangling off the side of the tractor. I walked over to his tractor, plugged it into the starter where it belongs, and used MY key to start it, while he watches. Fires right up. I jumped back in my car and went home to rest for a couple hours before doing it all over again the next day.

Never heard another word out of him, other than seeing his repair order run through the other tech's service schedule....