L4701 HST nearly killed me

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would quickly climb under and see what the #$@# the linkage looks like. ;)

Never heard of this - now I have heard of HST slowing down over time due to slop IN the linkage and nuts backing off........

check before you use again.

Reactions: 1 user

tph1956

May 23, 2018
Cherry Log, GA
I would quickly climb under and see what the #$@# the linkage looks like. ;)

Never heard of this - now I have heard of HST slowing down over time due to slop IN the linkage and nuts backing off........

check before you use again.
Crawled under and could see nothing wrong. No loose parts, no fluid leaks, nothing. Except having to clean out my drawers!!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you’re not seeing a linkage problem you might check to see if it was subject to the transmission bolt undertorque recall. I was noticed by Kubota but later found out my trans S/N was not in range. Way the service manager at my dealer explained it, if it failed the failure would be a bolt internal to the trans falling out, which could jam the swash plate effectively locking the transmission in whatever position it was in when the bolt fell out.

There are a couple of older threads on the recall issue. This is one of them: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/kubota-recall.45179/#post-390599

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
NCL4701 is correct. I did one of those recalls. Kubota really screwed the pooch on that deal, in so many ways. That and the dealer I was at, poor service on the dealer's part.

Look very closely at both sides. There is linkage on both sides of the transmission. LH side has the cruise linkage with a cable that runs underneath as I remember. Have a helper work the pedal back and forth (engine off, park brake set and key out) while you are looking underneath. If all is clean, nothing falling off or broken or bent or loose, you may possibly have an internal issue which would be almost unheard of, however not impossible. Remember-imperfect humans built them.

tph1956

May 23, 2018
Cherry Log, GA
When I was underneath looking around, I was moving the pedal back and forth, but it would only rock back about 1/4”. Forward was completely free and had no issues. I’ll check with a helper tomorrow as well as contact the dealer. I really appreciate the replies.