L4701 50 hr Service

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I will be coming up on my 50 hr service here shortly. Since I used the 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid I recently bought can anyone tell me about how much hydraulic fluid I will lose when I replace the hydraulic filter so I can have it on hand. This is a gear drive not a HST.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I can't help on that one. I've always dumped all the oil @50 hrs. on my new tractors. The 50 hr. service in my opinion is the most important of the tractors life, but that's just me I guess.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It all depends on how quickly you can unscrew the old filter and screw on the new filter. Your hydraulic fluid runs out quickly so you will loose at least one gallon and maybe five. Plugging the vent helps slow it down some, golf tee or similar works good.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Park the tractor on an incline (as steep as you are comfortable with), filter on the high side. I lost about a tablespoon doing like that.

southcoastlocal

Sep 22, 2016
MA
I have an HST not a gear drive but I would say dump the 2 gallons and go with fresh oil... when you pull the filter and see all the metal shards on the filter, the extra 100 dollars for oil isn't a big deal. Your machine will run quieter with a fresh oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
L4701 holds a lot of hyd oil. I want to say around 9 gallons to fill it from empty (all 3 bolts drained), could be wrong.

Usually can drain about 5 gal of it out of the filter before it slows to the point where I've got to climb underneath and drain the 3 bolts. If you're quick enough, you can probably do it and lose less than a quart.

Somewhere-don't know if it was this site or what-there was someone who rigged a vacuum cleaner to the fill port and then removed the filter and lost no oil at all. I haven't tried it yet, takes less time to unscrew old filter and screw the new one on than it does to rig up the vacuum, plug it in, etc. Time is money when I'm doing this stuff for a living; and actually most folks that I am working for are telling me that it's more important to get stuff done quickly than it is to save a buck or two. Times have certainly changed I guess.

On a 4701, you'll have to put it on a large incline to get all the oil to slosh to one side, if you were to get it on that much incline it's entirely possible to lose hydraulic function, if it don't roll over in the process. Not worth taking the risk, IMO. Dont' forget on an HST tractor, you'll have two filters, the right side is the hydraulic filter and the left one is the HST filter.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If the cost of 2 buckets of oil is a deal breaker on whether the tractor gets a proper service or not why buy a tractor to start with. Better off to rent so you can run it like you stole it and send it back. All you have to do is fill it up with fuel and no service work required.

I wonder :rolleyes: how many people change the oil in their car by only putting a new filter on? :eek: