L4350 Engine Replacement

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, I need a picture of the fuel injectors to know you have a DI engine, they all look the same.
Yes, the fuel cam is the wrong one, it won't drive the hydraulic pump.
Look through your parts and see if you have a fuel cam in good shape.
You'll have to pull the fuel cam out of the replacement motor and then you'll have mic the two to make sure they are the same.
This is a critical step to make sure you can use this motor, without the cam fitting you'll be dead in the water.
One other small issue is that the block is not drilled for either a fuel lift pump or a dip stick.
You'll have to either drill the hole for the lift pump or you will have to use an electric low pressure, low flow pump.
And you will have to drill the hole for the oil Dipstick.
Hopefully you have the old block and will be able to look at it and match the size, location and angle of each hole.

DWSchwefel

Aug 12, 2019
New Orleans, LA
Thanks for your help again. I’ll take a few more pictures and compare the inj cams. I have a few electric fuel pumps laying around, but I’ll look at drilling the holes, I can’t use the Kubota fuel pump anywhere else.
Question: the front crank nut.... I have a deep 1 13/16” socket for it. I looked at the old crank, it is RH thread, is there anything special to know about taking that off to change the front crank pulley?
Thnx again.
DaveS

DWSchwefel

Aug 12, 2019
New Orleans, LA
I took a few more pics, will post.

I took the gear cover off today. The marks on the gears were not lined up. I wanted to turn the engine to get them to line up, I quickly discovered that I had a problem. I couldn't rotate 360 degrees. I figured that I may have moisture or some water penetration/rust in one cylinder. I then pulled the head. (I did run this engine before I bought it approx two years ago)

I did get water in the number two cylinder and I have some minor rust on the cylinder wall. I will post a pic of this hole. I may have to order a new cylinder liner and piston.

When I pulled the head I saw that my pistons do not look like the original pistons. Original piston have a center hole/depression. My replacement engine's pistons do not. F1CBE962-D99E-4F52-AB04-5AF227C66CC9_1_201_a.jpeg 77FB6CFC-F40C-49CD-A44D-18A2C9F19A7F_1_201_a.jpeg 8065EE5F-5DA7-4F49-B771-C20FFF63B40F_1_201_a.jpeg

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
That is an IDI engine. You will have to change quite a lot of parts and use your old cylinder head or get another one.
The Second cylinder does look pretty rough but would need cleaning to verify how bad it is. I believe that engine is a parent bore block so I don't think there are liners.

It's looking like it is going to be kinda expensive to make this work

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea sorry to tell you but that engine is not going to swap over as an IDI engine has all the wrong parts.
The cranks are different.
It also very unlikely the fuel cam is the same dimensions as they take different fuel injection pumps.