L4350 Engine Replacement

DWSchwefel

Aug 12, 2019
New Orleans, LA
I am the new owner of a L4350 tractor w/loader. I purchased it with a bad/disassembled engine (V2203). I purchased it because I already had a replacement engine sitting around. My replacement engine saw original service as refer compressor power supply, made by Carrier. The obvious differences are an oversized oil pan and a different gear case cover. I'm assuming the intake and the exhaust manifolds will need to swapped out as well. I am in the process of ordering the necessary gaskets and o-rings. I'm in the New Orleans area.

Has anyone else done a similar swap?

My research, so far, tells me that the L4350 had a V2203 DI engine, my eng serial no: DIAW1442. I don't know if my replacement engine is direct injection. My engine serial no is: V2203 122379. I plan on using this engine.

I may chose not to change the gear case cover, I may try to use the carrier configured gear case cover, will check it out.

Thanks
Dave

BX2200D, JD430, JD400, JD430, JD400 backhoe, Ford 340 backhoe, JD450 dozer

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think you will have to get involved with the governor and fuel adjustment mechanisms. Do you know if the reefer engine speed can be adjusted or is it fixed speed?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've got a lot of knowledge and info on the V2203's, there is actually quite a few sub models of the V2203.

Some are V2203IDI (INDIRECT INJECTION), 2 sub versions of this are out there.
Some are V2203DI (direct injection) 5 sub versions of this are out there.

No issues with the Governor, as they all were full variable RPM engines (even the fixed RPM uses).

The First possible issue might be if it's a IDI engine it won't work period!

The Second is if it does not have the drive for the Hydraulic pump it won't work, as parts to change it over are almost impossible to find.

The Third issue is out of the DI engines there were 3 possible setups with the fuel injection lines if they don't match then it won't allow you to swap parts.

Other know things you must address is Pilot hole in crank for the pilot bearing or bushing, some purpose built engines did not have it so that style crank won't for a clutch operational use.
Also there are 2 sizes of crank journals and rear plate and seals, and the smaller will not work with the Flywheel.

Start with a picture or 20 and we'll go from there.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
By the way you need one or two more posts before you can post pictures

DWSchwefel

Aug 12, 2019
New Orleans, LA
pic five Gear case cover with the oil filter and the extra hose that goes to another oil filter. I will be trying to not changing. this gear case cover. Thoughts?
B4D9B81D-B4BE-4A86-8F8D-DD51FB113911_1_201_a.jpeg

DWSchwefel

Aug 12, 2019
New Orleans, LA
N I Wolfman,

You mentioned that I will need the necessary drive for the hydraulic pump.........could you let me know where that is. The original engine is completely disassembled and in a couple of boxes.

thanks

DaveS

DWSchwefel

Aug 12, 2019
New Orleans, LA
Gentlemen, I am also looking for a set of tires, ag style. If you know of any leads, let me know. I have a few bad hydraulic hoses. I will make them up, I have my own crimp machine......any thoughts on a good source for fittings? thanks.

DaveS

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Couple things things, you don't post any pictures of the top of the head, preferably the injectors,
And why is there no injector lines on the engine?

The drive for the hydraulic pump is where the lift pump is on the engine you have (4 bolts bolted behind the injection pump.
You'll need to pull that lift pump off and see if it has the right drive off the back of the fuel pump cam to run the pump.

You'll need to measure or fit the flywheel up to it and see if it fits the crank.
You will 100% have to change the front gear case cover, as the oil filter location is different.
There in might present another issue, in that the front crank seal might not fit, there are three different sizes of that seal interior and exterior.

DWSchwefel

Aug 12, 2019
New Orleans, LA
The injection lines were off because I was getting ready to remove the intake manifold. I can post a picture of the head if you'd like. I will check the crankshafts/flywheel and oil seals, thanks for the info.

301AEB58-D844-496B-8249-B9BDEA3DACDE_1_201_a.jpeg D0F5D582-C4E7-4619-A5FB-9F6BFB21EC4B_1_201_a.jpeg