L4060 A/C compressor not engaging

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
The compressor does not engage when the AC switch is depressed and the blower is turned on. I put a set of gages on both Hi and Lo side read 95lbs with the engine running and the compressor not engaging. Not sure where to go next.... AC compressor relay??? AC switch??? Thoughts.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The compressor does not engage when the AC switch is depressed and the blower is turned on. I put a set of gages on both Hi and Lo side read 95lbs with the engine running and the compressor not engaging. Not sure where to go next.... AC compressor relay??? AC switch??? Thoughts.
There should be a fuse for the AC system. Check it

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Read the following charge level test.
It has you supplying 12 volts to the clutch direct;y from the battery so eliminates all possible control issues.
forum L4060 AC check.jpg

Dave

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
95 PSI static pressures indicate it's certainly not low on charge. Don't bother going in that direction yet. The problem is in the electrical circuits.

The model and possibly the model year of the tractor would narrow down what circuits and components might be involved. Maybe it's old enough to have the simple stuff, but the newer models have control modules, printed circuit type stuff that make trouble shooting much more difficult.

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
Fuse was fine, disconnected the 1P connector and its getting 12v with from the AC switch to the clutch with the AC turned on. Attached 12v from the batter directly to the 1P connector and still no clutch engagement.

Starting to look like a failed clutch or locked up compressor. I don't think these clutches can be replaced.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Fuse was fine, disconnected the 1P connector and its getting 12v with from the AC switch to the clutch with the AC turned on. Attached 12v from the batter directly to the 1P connector and still no clutch engagement.

Starting to look like a failed clutch or locked up compressor. I don't think these clutches can be replaced.
Can you get picture of the P1 connector at the compressor. Something else is going on here.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
If you have an ohm meter you can check for the integrity of the clutch winding by reading from the electrical connection point to the metal case of the clutch. If you do not read low resistance you have an open coil. Yes, some compressor clutches cannot be replaced without removing the refrigerant. Be thankful that they still use r134a refrigerant in these systems.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
With the engine shut off, and the a/c belt loosened, reach in front of the compressor, pushing in on the clutch face so the springs compress and turn the compressor. If it turns ok with moderate effort the compressor and sytem charge are probably ok.

The coil inside the clutch can fail. Typical coil resistance is around 4ohms - if its high (open ckt) the coil is gone. Usually can find a coil (or whole clutch) for your compressor - same as used on many cars. A whole compressor with pictures is listed here for comparison.

Replacing just the coil, or the whole clutch, may be possible on your model by unplugging and unbolting the compressor, leaving the refrigerant hoses attached. Turn it out so the end is accessible and take off the pulley/clutch. There's a screw and snap rings holding the clutch together on the compressor shaft.
ac clutch.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The clutch isn't a Kubota proprietary item and is most likely used on many other types of vehicles. Same with the compressor. Based on your questions, I would seek help with the removal and reinstallation of the compressor should you determine that it needs service. If you have power to the clutch, and it isn't working, then there is a possibility that you have lost the electrical ground to the compressor. I suggest that you take a wire from the negative terminal of the battery to the compressor case and see if it will activate the clutch. You can do this without the engine running. Most modern compressors have a low freon shut-off switch located at the back of the compressor that prevents the clutch engagement if the compressor static pressure is too low. I believe that 95 PSI is too low to keep the low-pressure switch closed.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
If a whole compressor that fits your tractor can be had for $344 (see link in post #8 above) its pretty clear the Canadian prices are ridiculous. Look closely at the pics in that link to match it up with what you have on your machine - its likely a mass-produced automotive-type unit by a known a/c manufacturer like Denso.