L3902 vs L4802 in 2023

farmer frank

Aug 29, 2023
Southern Appalachia
Buy the largest, heaviest that you can afford.

You will need weight to use an offset mower of just about any type.

No need for grapple simply to collect multifloral rose canes. Just chop them up with rough cut mower.
Ah, yes....... a slow, choppy death. :)

Lots of rocks in the banks where many of the roses are, so will have to be extra careful managing the cutting height.

There is plentiful brush and logs around here to be grappled, roses and otherwise. It won't be used exclusively for the rose problem.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
About $3k difference with a basic configuration of loader and bucket. What would be some of the selling points I should look into with the MX5400 vs L4802? MX5400 is definitely wider and longer, and weighs a little more than the L4802 but seems to lift about the same weight on the 3pt?
It’s much more stable and rides better with the larger front wheels. Also, the loader capacity is more.

Reactions: 1 user

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
There have been a handful of threads on the L4701 vs MX5400 on here -- worth a search.

Not saying what's right for you, but only once have I ever thought "I wish I had a bigger tractor", and that was most definitely a one-time thing (moving a large sack of saturated construction sand)

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
About $3k difference with a basic configuration of loader and bucket. What would be some of the selling points I should look into with the MX5400 vs L4802? MX5400 is definitely wider and longer, and weighs a little more than the L4802 but seems to lift about the same weight on the 3pt?
Loader capacity.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Personally I think you are in the right neighborhood with the models you are considering and I think any of them are better than not having one at all.

I can’t much speak to the L, but when when it comes to the MX, to me, the major benefit is the additional weight (which improves traction and ability to pull/move and control heavy stuff (especially on hills relative to a lighter machine)whether it’s a loaded wagon or your dragging a log or transferring a pallet on the front loader/forks.

The other benefit is the slightly wider stance which will help with stability which will be very helpful if moving some weight and that will be exponentially helpful if not on level ground.

Finally an HST to me seems to lose some oomph when going up a hill with a heavy load or using PTO (compared to a geared machine…as a belly rub I think it feels like it’s 20% +/- less HP compared to a geared machine…HST can seem to bog down on a steep incline when it’s working hard. I have no way to prove it but it’s real to me…so I think the little extra displacement would be helpful on hilly property.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Updated my compare tracker with the Grand Ls and MX5400. The MX has been a consideration but not sure I could make that work financially. The Grand L wins outright on 3pt hitch weight capacity, but the Kubota spec sheet says it's lighter than the 3 smaller Standard L models? Seems odd. Is the advantage of the Grand L 3 point hitch the ability to more easily add remotes for something like a flail mower, compared to the Standard L?

The L4802 would be pushing the budget, especially after adding tax, KTAC, and implements. However it seems like a completely different class of tractor compared to the L3902 and has several advantages that I'm looking for like the larger frame size and weight.

View attachment 110402
I think you put the Grand L LEs on a diet, less than 2200 lbs. I’ve the glossy here and it says 3649 and 3748 lbs. Also, none of the weights in the table include the weight of the FEL and bucket, which is around 500 to 1000 lbs, or any fluid ballast at 500 to 1000 lbs. The larger tractors being on the higher end of those ranges.

I like the use of color gradation to rank the specs.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
HST can seem to bog down on a steep incline when it’s working hard. I have no way to prove it but it’s real to me…so I think the little extra displacement would be helpful on hilly property.
It's real to me as well, but I just drop it into 4WD if needed for traction, and move from M to L. I've encountered this with a landscape rake or land plane on our private road, dragging gravel back up hill. "Downshifting" doesn't seem like a big deal in this situation, though...

I will say to the common response of "buy as big and heavy a machine as you can afford"...at some point you're too big, and manuverability suffers, and you can't fit it in the woods, or in your shop, or on your trailer (and haul it with your half-ton pickup), etc. No one can tell you where that line is, but even though the next size up may be "just a little bit more", it may be bigger than you want/need.

Based on your situation, my vote would be for the 4802. Any of the machines will work, but I'd want the addtional weight/stability over the 3902. 4060LE would be a serious consideration if I didn't need the additional PTO HP. I'm on 28 acres with about 8 of it pasture/house/yard, and I really don't see a need for a larger machine than I have. Greater loader lift capacity would be nice (I've been moving stumps around right at or over the limit of the 4701 capacity), but I wouldn't take the trade-off of a larger form-factor.

The larger front wheels of the MX would be nice when mowing my pasture though :)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Buy your third or fourth tractor first. You'll become accustomed to operating it.

One topic that is sometimes discussed using suppositions is how much maneuverability is lost with a larger tractor. When I first started using my L4240, it seemed much more nimble than the L3200. Since the L3200 hadn't left home yet (and the old 1210 Ford will likely be here till I croak) I took some measurements and the biggest tractor turned the smallest circle:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It's real to me as well, but I just drop it into 4WD if needed for traction, and move from M to L. I've encountered this with a landscape rake or land plane on our private road, dragging gravel back up hill. "Downshifting" doesn't seem like a big deal in this situation, though...

I will say to the common response of "buy as big and heavy a machine as you can afford"...at some point you're too big, and manuverability suffers, and you can't fit it in the woods, or in your shop, or on your trailer (and haul it with your half-ton pickup), etc. No one can tell you where that line is, but even though the next size up may be "just a little bit more", it may be bigger than you want/need.

Based on your situation, my vote would be for the 4802. Any of the machines will work, but I'd want the addtional weight/stability over the 3902. 4060LE would be a serious consideration if I didn't need the additional PTO HP. I'm on 28 acres with about 8 of it pasture/house/yard, and I really don't see a need for a larger machine than I have. Greater loader lift capacity would be nice (I've been moving stumps around right at or over the limit of the 4701 capacity), but I wouldn't take the trade-off of a larger form-factor.

The larger front wheels of the MX would be nice when mowing my pasture though :)
I have found my MX is extremely nimble and maneuvers around trees and obstacles very well. I don’t think size is going to be an issue for you on 28 acres. I have 20 acres and wouldn’t go smaller. I had a small L series sized tractor for 21 years and was always a little tense and feeling tippy when using the loader, grading the road or plowing snow next to the ditch. The MX feels rock solid stable whatever I do and the pucker factor is gone.

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
"4-5k to the price" .....for KTCA"
Is it really THAT much?
I would never do that!
WOW !!!!
Not sure where he got that number but I pay $40 a month for KTAC so over 48 months its $1920. I’m guessing he financed a lot more for a longer period hence our big difference. I financed $31K for 48 months at 0%.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not sure where he got that number but I pay $40 a month for KTAC so over 48 months its $1920. I’m guessing he financed a lot more for a longer period hence our big difference. I financed $31K for 48 months at 0%.
His number would certainly seem to be in proper perspective.
His L47 TLB (construction type machine) would approach a new purchase cost of $65K.
Likely more than double your machine cost,..... thus more than double KTAC cost!

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
...only once have I ever thought "I wish I had a bigger tractor", and that was most definitely a one-time thing (moving a large sack of saturated construction sand)
I often questioned my decision to go as big as I did, but I had some Cat II and wider Cat I implements for the old tractor and wanted a Cat I/II hitch and enough hp to spin the old implements. Last winter I was glad I had the beef (and the HST), as I was able to move (blow) snow drifts that my old JD 3020 (70-ish pto hp) would have struggled with. When I run a smaller tractor at my dad's or brother's place I envy the agility and maneuverability and there are times I would appreciate that in the trees, but, at least that once, I was glad I bought the bigger tractor (not saying my L is big, just that I was glad I didn't go even smaller).

I'm somewhat of a Luddite, but I have enjoyed many of the computerized options. I'll be kicking myself when they break, but for now they are nice.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have found my MX is extremely nimble and maneuvers around trees and obstacles very well. I don’t think size is going to be an issue for you on 28 acres. I have 20 acres and wouldn’t go smaller. I had a small L series sized tractor for 21 years and was always a little tense and feeling tippy when using the loader, grading the road or plowing snow next to the ditch. The MX feels rock solid stable whatever I do and the pucker factor is gone.
Mine is nimble (small turn radius) as well…unbelievably so…even more so if using the brakes. That being said what causes the issue with manuverability is not the tractor or the width, is what’s hanging off the front and back…loader and cutter take up some lineal length…with time in seat you get used to it though.

if you can drive any you are considering and see what fits best.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
Hello all! I am an aspiring first tractor owner and my top choices at the moment are the L3902 and the L4802, both in HST. Most of my neighbors have Kubotas, and I'm blessed with having a Kubota service expert as a neighbor. I have access to several reputable Kubota dealerships in the area. Seems like a no brainer.

My basic tractor needs are:

Mowing
We live in hilly country in Southern Appalachia with 5-10 acres of pasture land and endless forest, much of which I would never attempt to access with a tractor. Some of it I will want to access. We have some animals running on some of the pasture so I don't have to keep it finish cut mowed all the time. Twice annual rough cuttings would be sufficient.

War of the Roses
There are a few different streams that have been overgrown with invasive species, mostly multiflora rose, which I have personally waged war against, and seek to destroy :). As a weapon against my thorny enemy I have been eyeing rotary cutters (bush hogs), and also offset flair mowers. Having an offset flair mower which gives the option of sending the cutting implement out to the side, and also being able to tilt up or down would be incredibly helpful in my quest for a thorn-free holler. The offset flair mower seems like a win on the safety category also, over trying to bush hog a creek bank. A high end Land Pride bush hog can be $3,500, and I've seen hydraulicly offset flair mowers for $4,000. I know some other hydro offset flail mowers are more expensive, but it seems like a great tool to have around here.

Grapple
I am likely going to want to add a grapple so that I can snatch up said rose bushes, along with logs, brush, and anything else that needs a'snatchin'.

Gravel Road Conditioning
I also have a half mile stretch of gravel road that I would like to maintain with something like a box blade and/or land plane. I'm sure I'd be helping neighbors with road conditioning from time to time as well, which I would happily oblige.

Other Notes
  • At this time, the R14 tires are not offered on the L4802, but are on the L3902, which I found interesting.
  • The idea of the L4802 having a wider stance than the L3902 certainly is a factor, mostly for stability and safety's sake. And the L4802 loader and 3 pt can lift much more than the L3902.
  • The price of the L4802 would be pushing the budget, but the L3902 would be manageable.

Given these basic requirements, and the current price difference on comparable tractors from each class, are there any opinions?

Current price with HST, 4WD, loader, bucket, ballast box, some lights, but no other implements:
If you are brush hogging up hill the brush hog uses most of the power so you don't have much left for the tractor. You end up slow up the hill. More HP would help a lot going uphill.

I have a L4060 and a 12' finish mower. I can go about 1 1/2 mph up the hill. Luckily I can mow it sideways so I can keep the speed up.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Mine is nimble (small turn radius) as well…unbelievably so…even more so if using the brakes. That being said what causes the issue with manuverability is not the tractor or the width, is what’s hanging off the front and back…loader and cutter take up some lineal length…with time in seat you get used to it though.
Short turning radius is nice, but length and width also matter. The last few days I've been parking the tractor under the side-shed on my workshop. It's a tight turn/fit based on the layout, and any increase in dimensions would limit my ability to get in/out.

And yes, the cutter takes up quite a bit of length -- just two days ago I unintentionally backed it into a pile of logs when using it for ballast. Anyone have suggestions for getting dents out of the metal back guard for a rotary cutter? Got some pretty good ones back there now :/

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Short turning radius is nice, but length and width also matter. The last few days I've been parking the tractor under the side-shed on my workshop. It's a tight turn/fit based on the layout, and any increase in dimensions would limit my ability to get in/out.

And yes, the cutter takes up quite a bit of length -- just two days ago I unintentionally backed it into a pile of logs when using it for ballast. Anyone have suggestions for getting dents out of the metal back guard for a rotary cutter? Got some pretty good ones back there now :/
Big pipe wrench (with cheater pipe if needed) + large hammer. Both applied judiciously with patience.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Big pipe wrench (with cheater pipe if needed) + large hammer. Both applied judiciously with patience.
I have the same thing. My solution that I haven’t implemented yet: remove the metal back plate and install chains. They sell chain kits for cutters.

Reactions: 1 users

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
His number would certainly seem to be in proper perspective.
His L47 TLB (construction type machine) would approach a new purchase cost of $65K.
Likely more than double your machine cost,..... thus more than double KTAC cost!
Exactly, my tractor new is now 78k, I bought used (only 170ish hours) for 57k, so that explains the KTAC difference.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon

As long as the blades rotate without hitting it, no worries. Otherwise a sledgehammer adjustment maybe in order. Mine has all sorts of battle scars and still does a fine job.