L3902 vs L4802 in 2023

farmer frank

Equipment
L4802
Aug 29, 2023
Southern Appalachia
Hello all! I am an aspiring first tractor owner and my top choices at the moment are the L3902 and the L4802, both in HST. Most of my neighbors have Kubotas, and I'm blessed with having a Kubota service expert as a neighbor. I have access to several reputable Kubota dealerships in the area. Seems like a no brainer.

My basic tractor needs are:

Mowing
We live in hilly country in Southern Appalachia with 5-10 acres of pasture land and endless forest, much of which I would never attempt to access with a tractor. Some of it I will want to access. We have some animals running on some of the pasture so I don't have to keep it finish cut mowed all the time. Twice annual rough cuttings would be sufficient.

War of the Roses
There are a few different streams that have been overgrown with invasive species, mostly multiflora rose, which I have personally waged war against, and seek to destroy :). As a weapon against my thorny enemy I have been eyeing rotary cutters (bush hogs), and also offset flair mowers. Having an offset flair mower which gives the option of sending the cutting implement out to the side, and also being able to tilt up or down would be incredibly helpful in my quest for a thorn-free holler. The offset flair mower seems like a win on the safety category also, over trying to bush hog a creek bank. A high end Land Pride bush hog can be $3,500, and I've seen hydraulicly offset flair mowers for $4,000. I know some other hydro offset flail mowers are more expensive, but it seems like a great tool to have around here.

Grapple
I am likely going to want to add a grapple so that I can snatch up said rose bushes, along with logs, brush, and anything else that needs a'snatchin'.

Gravel Road Conditioning
I also have a half mile stretch of gravel road that I would like to maintain with something like a box blade and/or land plane. I'm sure I'd be helping neighbors with road conditioning from time to time as well, which I would happily oblige.

Other Notes
  • At this time, the R14 tires are not offered on the L4802, but are on the L3902, which I found interesting.
  • The idea of the L4802 having a wider stance than the L3902 certainly is a factor, mostly for stability and safety's sake. And the L4802 loader and 3 pt can lift much more than the L3902.
  • The price of the L4802 would be pushing the budget, but the L3902 would be manageable.

Given these basic requirements, and the current price difference on comparable tractors from each class, are there any opinions?

Current price with HST, 4WD, loader, bucket, ballast box, some lights, but no other implements:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello all! I am an aspiring first tractor owner and my top choices at the moment are the L3902 and the L4802, both in HST. Most of my neighbors have Kubotas, and I'm blessed with having a Kubota service expert as a neighbor. I have access to several reputable Kubota dealerships in the area. Seems like a no brainer.

Mowing
We live in hilly country in Southern Appalachia with 5-10 acres of pasture land and endless forest, much of which I would never attempt to access with a tractor. Some of it I will want to access. We have some animals running on some of the pasture so I don't have to keep it finish cut mowed all the time. Twice annual rough cuttings would be sufficient.

War of the Roses
There are a few different streams that have been overgrown with invasive species, mostly multiflora rose, which I have personally waged war against, and seek to destroy :). As a weapon against my thorny enemy I have been eyeing rotary cutters (bush hogs), and also offset flair mowers. Having an offset flair mower which gives the option of sending the cutting implement out to the side, and also being able to tilt up or down would be incredibly helpful in my quest for a thorn-free holler. The offset flair mower seems like a win on the safety category also, over trying to bush hog a creek bank. A high end Land Pride bush hog can be $3,500, and I've seen hydraulicly offset flair mowers for $4,000. I know some other hydro offset flail mowers are more expensive, but it seems like a great tool to have around here.

Grapple
I am likely going to want to add a grapple so that I can snatch up said rose bushes, along with logs, brush, and anything else that needs a'snatchin'.

Gravel Road Conditioning
I also have a half mile stretch of gravel road that I would like to maintain with something like a box blade and/or land plane. I'm sure I'd be helping neighbors with road conditioning from time to time as well, which I would happily oblige.

Other Notes
  • At this time, the R14 tires are not offered on the L4802, but are on the L3902, which I found interesting.
  • The idea of the L4802 having a wider stance than the L3902 certainly is a factor, mostly for stability and safety's sake. And the L4802 loader and 3 pt can lift much more than the L3902.
  • The price of the L4802 would be pushing the budget, but the L3902 would be manageable.

Given these basic requirements, and the current price difference on comparable tractors from each class, are there any opinions?

Current price with HST, 4WD, loader, bucket, ballast box, some lights, but no other implements:
For $5K the L4802 is a cheap muscle upgrade. Things like remotes are also closer to the Grand L class than the cut rate versions used on the L3902.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

WoodKutter

Equipment
L4600 John Deere 750, John Deere 420
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont and Northern Maine
That close in price, unless you need the smaller footprint, I'd go for wider stance, more hp, and higher loader capacity. Both I'm sure are good machines.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If you have livestock and need to lift/move round bales or totes of water, or pallets of feed for the animals, I’d figure out how much you might want to be able to safely lift (in general the max lift is not the same as what you can safely move if ground not perfect.).

im not sure where an MX prices currently, but maybe price one for fun and see…it may not have the features but might be a better value and a bit more machine for similar price. (I’m also biased 😉)

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'd also check an MX. Since you're considering an offset cutter, the extra weight would help counterbalance it.

Make sure you get
4WD
HST
FEL w SSQA
loaded tires

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
For $5K the L4802 is a cheap muscle upgrade. Things like remotes are also closer to the Grand L class than the cut rate versions used on the L3902.

Dan
And for not much more a MX5400 would be more stable on slopes.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Between the two, I’d go with the L4802. Although I’m sure either one would do nicely.

But, I’d look at the MX5400 and MX6000 as well, and the Grand L 60 series. Maybe the Grand L 4060 limited edition. Plenty of options in the 40-60 Hp range.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you go with the 4802, unless you have width limitations on your property, have the dealer set the rear wheels at max width.

I don’t believe the smaller standard L wheels are adjustable but of course you can get spacers to widen those.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If you go with the 4802, unless you have width limitations on your property, have the dealer set the rear wheels at max width.

I don’t believe the smaller standard L wheels are adjustable but of course you can get spacers to widen those.
On the smaller L's you can adjust the width of R1s but not R4's. Also no wheel weights for R4's.

I bought the L3901 and its more than adequate for mostnof my needs. But as is inevitable there are also plenty of occassions were I find myself wishing for more mass, wider stance, better features, and/or more lifting power. Notice I did not mention horsepower. If I was offered a $5k financed over 7 years at 0% do over I would jump on it.

Dan

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
Agree with others it'd be worth pricing out the 4060LE and MX5400 to have a complete view of the offerings in the size you're looking at. I believe size/weight/capability wise it'd be L3902 < L4802 < L4060LE < MX5400. From there you can decide what trade-offs to make.

Personally, I'm glad I have the larger/heavier frame than the other standard Ls. I absolutely take advantage of the wider (adjustible) stance with R4s when mowing my hilly pasture, and have used every bit of lift capacity moving stumps/logs/etc.

The 3902 adopted many of the "upgrades" the 4701 offered over the 3901 (PTO clutch, brake pedal placement, etc), so there are fewer arguments based on features.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Mowing

War of the Roses

Grapple

Gravel Road Conditioning

Other Notes

Buy the largest, heaviest that you can afford.

You will need weight to use an offset mower of just about any type.

No need for grapple simply to collect multifloral rose canes. Just chop them up with rough cut mower.

Reactions: 1 users

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Go with the biggest, most powerful tractor you can afford and at some point you are going to wish you had a bigger one. Its just the way it works

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
No one ever said "I wish I had a smaller tractor", but keep in mind that if you finance through Kubota, the KTAC insurance will add 4-5k to price. and taxes, of course. Good luck with it!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No one ever said "I wish I had a smaller tractor", but keep in mind that if you finance through Kubota, the KTAC insurance will add 4-5k to price. and taxes, of course. Good luck with it!
"4-5k to the price" .....for KTCA"
Is it really THAT much?
I would never do that!
WOW !!!!

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
"4-5k to the price" .....for KTCA"
Is it really THAT much?
I would never do that!
WOW !!!!
4496. for my L47, pretty sure it is required with Kubota financing.

farmer frank

Equipment
L4802
Aug 29, 2023
Southern Appalachia
Updated my compare tracker with the Grand Ls and MX5400. The MX has been a consideration but not sure I could make that work financially. The Grand L wins outright on 3pt hitch weight capacity, but the Kubota spec sheet says it's lighter than the 3 smaller Standard L models? Seems odd. Is the advantage of the Grand L 3 point hitch the ability to more easily add remotes for something like a flail mower, compared to the Standard L?

The L4802 would be pushing the budget, especially after adding tax, KTAC, and implements. However it seems like a completely different class of tractor compared to the L3902 and has several advantages that I'm looking for like the larger frame size and weight.

1693420512949.png

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Updated my compare tracker with the Grand Ls and MX5400. The MX has been a consideration but not sure I could make that work financially. The Grand L wins outright on 3pt hitch weight capacity, but the Kubota spec sheet says it's lighter than the 3 smaller Standard L models? Seems odd. Is the advantage of the Grand L 3 point hitch the ability to more easily add remotes for something like a flail mower, compared to the Standard L?

The L4802 would be pushing the budget, especially after adding tax, KTAC, and implements. However it seems like a completely different class of tractor compared to the L3902 and has several advantages that I'm looking for like the larger frame size and weight.

View attachment 110402
Implement purchase can be deferred and added over time. Upgrading the base machine not so much. I think you have a very clear picture of your options and the trade offs.

PS> A major feature of the Grand L HST is computerized management of the power train. It monitors changing loads and power output and automagically adjusts them on the fly without operator intervention.

Dan

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

View attachment 110402
I don’t think there is much cost difference between a L4802 and a MX5400, but a significant difference in capabilities.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
4496. for my L47, pretty sure it is required with Kubota financing.
Dats a lotta cash!
At my age, I'm keepin my exceptionally low hour L48 TLB anyway.
Last tractor for me, .....wish it could dig my grave,.... but not likely that VA would approve!

farmer frank

Equipment
L4802
Aug 29, 2023
Southern Appalachia
I don’t think there is much cost difference between a L4802 and a MX5400, but a significant difference in capabilities.
About $3k difference with a basic configuration of loader and bucket. What would be some of the selling points I should look into with the MX5400 vs L4802? MX5400 is definitely wider and longer, and weighs a little more than the L4802 but seems to lift about the same weight on the 3pt?