L3902 leaking oil

Mdkelley

Equipment
L3902, LP RCR1860, LP RTA1258, LP front 3rd function
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Just got a new L3902, it has around 4 hrs on it. It was dripping gray oil from the weep pin on the bell housing the other day. Is that normal? About a 4" circle after sitting for a few hours. I read the operator manual and couldn't find anything about that weep hole. It is hst model.
IMG_20220517_180851_9.jpg

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just got a new L3902, it has around 4 hrs on it. It was dripping gray oil from the weep pin on the bell housing the other day. Is that normal? About a 4" circle after sitting for a few hours. I read the outside manual and couldn't find anything about that weep hole. It is hst model.
WAG. Check the hose clamp connections on the oil coolers next to the battery. New tractor leaks there seem to be a common issue.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Seems like that is a long way from the bell housing weep hole but I will take a look. Thanks!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It's new, protected by the warranty, are you going to fix it yourself, or get the dealer involved? I ask out of curiosity, not criticism.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
While they do leak at the cooler since they don't tighten up the clamps enough.... If it's leaking out of the bell housing weep hole, that would not be the problem and you have a much larger issue....

This is going to be where a good dealer vs. a bad dealer is going to pay off... talk to your dealer about it. It is NOT normal at all....

Reactions: 1 users

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
That is what I was worried about (not being normal). Everything I have heard the dealer is a very good one but under staffed and backlogged. Really need the tractor right now (sold my other one to help pay for this one) so not very happy if I have to send it back to the dealer for any extended period. Won't be fixing myself, has 6 yr warranty and is just over a week old now. Bought a new tractor so I wouldn't have to wrench on old iron all the time. Maybe the wrong choice.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Seems like that is a long way from the bell housing weep hole but I will take a look. Thanks!
That is what I was worried about (not being normal). Everything I have heard the dealer is a very good one but under staffed and backlogged. Really need the tractor right now (sold my other one to help pay for this one) so not very happy if I have to send it back to the dealer for any extended period. Won't be fixing myself, has 6 yr warranty and is just over a week old now. Bought a new tractor so I wouldn't have to wrench on old iron all the time. Maybe the wrong choice.
Dont jump to conclusions. I had the same sinking feeling one year ago with a brand new L3901 and it turned out to be a minor hose clamp problem. You are under warranty and protected - have it checked out.

Dan

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Dealer mechanic said sometime this happens while the seals are setting in. Said go ahead and use the tractor just watch oil level and if it doesn't stop or gets worse they will replace the seals.
IMG_20220527_093305_7.jpg
IMG_20220527_092208_0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
just finished spreading/leveling/packing 45 yards of crushed limestone on the driveway, seems to work fine... :)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, a brand new seal can sometimes take a few hours to work perfectly…but don’t wait unti it’s 3 months down the road to call the dealer back with a continuing problem.

Tell the dealer NOW to go ahead and schedule you “in” for fast-service in a month….and if the problem goes away you’ll tell him to cancel…but if it continues, you want immediate corrective service on or before the appointment date.

Reactions: 2 users

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Update: took it to the dealer at 24 hrs on the meter and was still leaking. They told me they don't set up appointments, have to drop it off and wait. They told me they would get it in right away. Today is three weeks, still waiting for news... Bought a new Kubota hoping to have minimal downtime, sadly that isn't the case. It was in need of repair before my first payment was due!

• Wow

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Update: took it to the dealer at 24 hrs on the meter and was still leaking. They told me they don't set up appointments, have to drop it off and wait. They told me they would get it in right away. Today is three weeks, still waiting for news... Bought a new Kubota hoping to have minimal downtime, sadly that isn't the case. It was in need of repair before my first payment was due!

Sounds like the place I used to work for. They did not have any scheduling to speak of. Always short handed. Always busy. Or, that was the excuse they used-and since I managed the service dept for a while, I had to go by what the boss wanted...which was to leave it alone. Scheduling jobs is not that hard to do, and a lot easier now if they use the software, which is free and available to almost anyone. Real easy.

Yes, dealers right now are often busy. It's hay season here, and for a lot of other areas too--and dealers are short handed (legitimately), they can't find good work, for a lot of reasons. I did it for 30 years and finally said enough. Low pay, hot and then cold working conditions, dirty all the time, no communication among the company, no customer scheduling, make people mad often, I just didn't like the way the boss handled it. New place is non-kubota but they handle the scheduling a LOT better. Typical turnaround is 48 hours at the most. I'd like to see it less and we are working on that.

I really do hope they get your tractor back to you asap. Have you tried to reach out to Kubota customer service to see if they can offer you any assistance or perhaps a loaner tractor if there is one available?

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
Dealer called today, tractor is ready. This dealer has been really great overall in my opinion and others I have talked to are really happy with them as well. I have no insight into what operations are like there but I assume it is hard to get good mechanics long-term while still keeping costs to customers reasonable. I have no idea what kind of shipping delays there are with parts now either. Probably service scheduling would cost quite a bit to hire someone to set up, maintain and administer a computer based scheduling system so I get that too. This dealer is small and probably has to keep costs down to compete with the larger dealers in other nearby towns. I sometimes lose sight of all that when I am anxious to get projects done around my place that require a tractor. I should be happy I got a few weeks off to work on other projects and go fishing I guess! Hopefully I didn't sound too sour in my previous posts, mostly was a bit frustrated the new tractor had issues, less so about the dealership response. Three weeks is much better than three + months downtime that some folks have suffered the past couple years with brand new trucks and no parts to fix them. Maybe I should be thankful.

Hopefully the brand new tractor won't have any more issues for a long time!

Reactions: 2 users

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
Nah, it's frustrating to be having warranty issues before the first payment.
What was the problem?

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
They didn't actually say but judging by the parts they used it was the rear main seal on the engine as I had suspected. They used 2 o-rings, rear crankshaft oil seal, case gasket, a tube of silicone sealant and some 10w30 engine oil on the receipt. I didn't talk with the mechanics when I picked it up. I will most likely use it this weekend so hopefully it is all set for a long while. Dealer was again really great and apologized for how long it took but really 3 weeks isn't bad given the current environment around here.

Mdkelley

Equipment
May 26, 2022
Beaverton, mi
other than the mechanics messing up the parking brake, the tractor seems to be working well!