L3901

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
How much space is needed for the BH77 backhoe?
Ive noticed all your posts on this. How do you plan on storing it? On the tractor, on a dolly, on the ground? I can get you some rough measurements. Mine is mounted on the tractor right now.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I built mine 24x48 - then added a lean to on the back (8' x 24) Now I am looking at adding a lean to on a side (8' x 36') crazy how they are never big enough

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Ive noticed all your posts on this. How do you plan on storing it? On the tractor, on a dolly, on the ground? I can get you some rough measurements. Mine is mounted on the tractor right now.
My initial thought was In a shed, either on cinder block or will make a dolly for it to sit on when not being used.
Or do you think it's ok to keep it attached? I'd rather do that if it wouldn't ruin the integrity of the tractor. I jus noticed folks on vids that always reattach after using.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
A 60" rotary cutter is fairly small - I ran a 60" on the L2501 I had. Same size tractor as yours, but with a lot less horsepower. You could run a 72" without trouble.

I recommend wheel spacers if you are operating on sidehills.

I purchased Bro-Tek (made in Canada, aluminum) spacers for my L2501 last year. Your tractor would take the exact same ones. I paid $380 shipped and installed them myself, with loaded R4 tires. They made a world of difference for me, and the tractor looked better in my opinion.

R1 tires are what comes standard on these tractors, with the vee-bar tread. They have different positions for spacing. The R4 is basically a skid-steer tire, and has two more plies. It costs more because it is wider, stronger, and has more rubber. It is a little nicer on turf than an R1, but with a little less traction. The R4 tires are non-adjustable for spacing.

Here's the spacer mounted and here's the "after" added width:

Attachments

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
A 60" rotary cutter is fairly small - I ran a 60" on the L2501 I had. Same size tractor as yours, but with a lot less horsepower. You could run a 72" without trouble.

I recommend wheel spacers if you are operating on sidehills.

I purchased Bro-Tek (made in Canada, aluminum) spacers for my L2501 last year. Your tractor would take the exact same ones. I paid $380 shipped and installed them myself, with loaded R4 tires. They made a world of difference for me, and the tractor looked better in my opinion.

R1 tires are what comes standard on these tractors, with the vee-bar tread. They have different positions for spacing. The R4 is basically a skid-steer tire, and has two more plies. It costs more because it is wider, stronger, and has more rubber. It is a little nicer on turf than an R1, but with a little less traction. The R4 tires are non-adjustable for spacing.

Here's the spacer mounted and here's the "after" added width:
I asked my sales guy & he said spacers aren't needed on the L3901.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
They may not be, depending upon the kind of terrain you operate on. Flat or mostly flat, the standard width is fine. Kubota themselves offer a 1" wheel spacer for your model. Bro-Tek offers 1,2, and 3" spacers. For me, I operate on side hills fairly frequently and do not want my tractor to flip over. The extra money was well worth it.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
When I bought my L3901 the dealer told me if you ever want to run chains the wheel spacer are required if you are running R4's. There is not enough chain clearance to the fenders with out them.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Do you guys get snow out there in Snowflake? Interesting history in the naming of your town, I see Sen. Jeff Flake is apparently related to the founder. On a side note, I cannot begin to understand why Flake, is so opposed to Trump. But back to the task (tractor) at hand, spacers are pretty inexpensive, do no harm, but can do a lot of good.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Do you guys get snow out there in Snowflake? Interesting history in the naming of your town, I see Sen. Jeff Flake is apparently related to the founder. On a side note, I cannot begin to understand why Flake, is so opposed to Trump. But back to the task (tractor) at hand, spacers are pretty inexpensive, do no harm, but can do a lot of good.
Yeah, we get snow out here. It's supposed to get down to 19 Wednesday & Show Low just north of here is supposed to be 9 degrees & snow showers.
Snowflake was founded by 2 mormans Erastus Snow and William J. Flake (Jeff Flakes great great grandfather).
No one out here likes Jeff Flake. This is 100% Trumptopia:). If you come through the town, you'll see MAGA flags, Trump flags, & bumper stickers everywhere.
I digress, I'll see about the spacers. I'm spending enough, at the moment, on tractor & implements and shed. I'm going through sticker shock at the moment.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Yeah, we get snow out here. It's supposed to get down to 19 Wednesday & Show Low just north of here is supposed to be 9 degrees & snow showers.
Snowflake was founded by 2 mormans Erastus Snow and William J. Flake (Jeff Flakes great great grandfather).
No one out here likes Jeff Flake. This is 100% Trumptopia:). If you come through the town, you'll see MAGA flags, Trump flags, & bumper stickers everywhere.
I digress, I'll see about the spacers. I'm spending enough, at the moment, on tractor & implements and shed. I'm going through sticker shock at the moment.
Lol, sounds like you live in a good area.

The thing with the spacers is you can always add them later if you find you need them, even after the tires are filled.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
On a side note, Flake is so opposed to Trump cuz Flake's a noob swamp creature. He didn't want another round running for Congress cuz nobody liked him & he couldn't get the votes.

Last edited:

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
On a side note, Flake is so opposed to Trump Cruz he's a noob swamp creature. He didn't want another round running for Congress cuz nobody liked him & he couldn't get the votes.
We'll probably get in trouble for talking politics on a tractor forum, but I agree with you completely.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I'll be having a shed built. I scaled a shed on paper & figured I'll probably be getting a 30x30 shed. When I get the bh77, I'm thinking of keeping it on the tractor until I need to use the box scraper. I'm allowing for about 5'x7.5' for backhoe. I also plan on having a 21.5'x7' camper stored in shed as well that's currently in my garage.
You think that's enough room?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'll be having a shed built. I scaled a shed on paper & figured I'll probably be getting a 30x30 shed. When I get the bh77, I'm thinking of keeping it on the tractor until I need to use the box scraper. I'm allowing for about 5'x7.5' for backhoe. I also plan on having a 21.5'x7' camper stored in shed as well that's currently in my garage.
You think that's enough room?
Thats why I asked how you will store it because it will make a difference. 5 ft wide is about what it is with the stabilizers upright. I measured about 6 1/2 foot long with it mounted on the tractor in its stowed position. If you will be be storing it on a dolly (might be hard to do on gravel?) or on cinder blocks like you stated it will probably get closer to 10 foot long since you need to move the boom and dipper out. Will also need room to operate the stabilizers to remove it from the tractor. I can get you some more measurements this weekend of it off the tractor if you need them

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Thats why I asked how you will store it because it will make a difference. 5 ft wide is about what it is with the stabilizers upright. I measured about 6 1/2 foot long with it mounted on the tractor in its stowed position. If you will be be storing it on a dolly (might be hard to do on gravel?) or on cinder blocks like you stated it will probably get closer to 10 foot long since you need to move the boom and dipper out. Will also need room to operate the stabilizers to remove it from the tractor. I can get you some more measurements this weekend of it off the tractor if you need them
Ok, that would be very helpful to get measurements, if you would. I may put plywood down for the tractor - I was told that it's hard on the tires for running it on stone.
I made a diagram to scale for the shed & may need a 30'x30' or 30'x40'. I haven'd decided, yet. It appears the backhoe will need a lot of room if I were to remove it from the tractor. Wouldn't I need some area for the bucket as well? There is a stowing position for this, right?
Thanks for your help.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Ok, that would be very helpful to get measurements, if you would. I may put plywood down for the tractor - I was told that it's hard on the tires for running it on stone.
I made a diagram to scale for the shed & may need a 30'x30' or 30'x40'. I haven'd decided, yet. It appears the backhoe will need a lot of room if I were to remove it from the tractor. Wouldn't I need some area for the bucket as well? There is a stowing position for this, right?
Thanks for your help.
Are you talking about the back hoe bucket or loader bucket?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Both. Front and back.
Just didn't want to be short on the shed since there are no do overs.
Overall length of mine with loader bucket flat on the ground to the back of the bucket in the stowed position while on the tractor is just over 18 feet. Just a quick search shows your 3901 is pretty close to the same length as my 3200. The bucket will be curled under the hoe when stored. I can get you some pics and some more rough dimensions this weekend.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Overall length of mine with loader bucket flat on the ground to the back of the bucket in the stowed position while on the tractor is just over 18 feet. Just a quick search shows your 3901 is pretty close to the same length as my 3200. The bucket will be curled under the hoe when stored. I can get you some pics and some more rough dimensions this weekend.
Ok, thanks.