L3901 4 in 1 loader bucket capabilities

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
Does anyone have the 4 in 1 loader bucket? I'm wondering of the capabilities it has.
On my property there are several piles where Juniper trees were cleared about 50 yrs. ago by the ranchers, thinking it would enhance grass growth for the cattle. Bad idea, doing this created erosion issues.

Anyway, I want to use the 4in1 bucket to grab the piles move & them to one location for burning. Some of these trunks weigh about 200-300 lbs. Can the 4in1 accomplish the task?

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I think you'd be better off with using a grapple. The 4 in 1 would probably limit you to grabbing one trunk at a time, and I believe that the 4 in 1 is probably a lot more expensive than a grapple too. After all the big stuff is moved with the grapple you can always come back with the normal bucket and a hand rake to clean up.

I think the 4 in 1 is more geared towards dirt, gravel, or sand moving and manipulation more so than as the grappling aspect.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
My "other" tractor is a Case 580M Backhoe with a 4-in-1 bucket on the front. OMG. I absolutely LOVE the 4-in-1 and not sure what I'd do without it. We bought some property about a year ago and we have been systematically clearing trees and shrubs and stacking them. Well the stack kept growing and turned out to be 1/2 football field sized pile stacked 4' high. This weekend we rented a commercial tree chipper (takes up to 12" diameter branches) and fed the entire pile through it. I was thinking it would take two days and ended up taking about a 1/2 day! The cadence that worked best for us was that I used the 580M (4-in-1) to grab "bunches" of material from the stack and bring it over to two helpers who were in charge of feeding the shredder. Anyway, we made short work of the pile that we had.

The other great part about the 4-in-1 is that once you get the hang of it you can pick up stuff pretty easily - items that trying to scoop them, you'd get a lot of unwanted dirt, etc. I was constantly picking up large boulders and root balls and plopping them into a dump trailer for disposal later.

Never used a grapple and I can imagine it is a very useful tool and likely does a better job than the 4-in-1. So, if you do this a lot - that's probably the right tool. However, there's times when having a similar capability with the bucket is just so darn convenient!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
4 n 1's don't work very well on these units.
The loaders are too light weight and the bucket weight drops the usability of the loader due to it's weight.

A lightweight grapple will do a much better job dealing with the junipers.
But put a full coverage grill guard on it or you more than likely do some damage to either the grill or the radiator.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Look around for someone that wants to buy them and see if they will pick them up. There may be someone that wants them for lumber or art

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I looked at 4-1 and grapples. I ended up purchasing a grapple. The 4-1 bucket I was looking at weighed 881lbs, cost $3,900, and was 67". The grapple weighed 239lbs, cost $2,000 and was 55".

I went with the weight and cost savings, with the weight being the bigger factor. I gained about 600lbs of material handling ability verses the 4-1. When you loader is rated at 1,800lbs, losing 800lbs to the bucket weight makes a big difference in what you can pick.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Check out this you tube: Why a 4 in 1 bucket fails when it comes to working with Brush piles...

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I don't own one, but I think a 4 in 1 bucket would be nice to have, but I think the grapple would be superior for moving the brush and stumps like the OP wants to do. Like many here, I bought the Everything Attachements 55" wicked root grapple. So far, I have been very pleased with it. I even moved dirt with it after I dug out a drainage ditch around the barn and did not have my regular bucket mounted at the time. The clay soil held together well enough, I could just grab a pile to move it. I recently moved some rocks. Two of which were probably 600 pounds or more.

BTW, I see the Land Pride CB1060 4 in 1 bucket weighs 360 pounds.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
While I dont have an L3901 I do have I have factory installed 4in1 on my bx23s. These are standard here in OZ.

I would not be without it.
Now there are times a grapple would be handy and I can put one on the 4in1 if I really wanted to.

While the 4in1 can grab and I do that a lot it can also pull. I was pulling out copper logs the other day that had had been cemented in. Just grab pull (lift the bucket not drive backwards) with the 4in1 an pull it out concrete and all.

Another thing I use a lot is the dozer and backblade functions of the 4in1.

If you open the bucket fully you have a dozer.
Open it fully and tilt down you have a back blade which is great for the last bit of the pile. Drive backwards to collect then close the bucket and you have a full load.

So yeah there are times Id like a grapple. Would I like one on my 4in1, yeah sure. Given a choice of id have the 4in1 every time just for all the extra things it can do. Some may not be as quick but I dont need to get out of the seat to change implements either.

If I could not have a 4in1 id have the grapple for sure but I think a standard bucket and no grapple that's like having a backhoe and not getting the thumb

Just my 2 cents other may disagree and that fine whatever works for you is the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have noticed in OZ the 4in1 is standard equipment. It seems once they catch on folks find how useful they are. The time it takes for an implement to "catch on" determines a lot be what is available and if dealers support the item.

It wasn't too long ago a grapple was basically used by big tractors to move hay. A very wide opening and only a few teeth. Eventually they were designed to do more and made smaller and lighter. When they became available for small tractors it still took a while before folks were ordering them with a new tractor.

I see the same thing with flail mowers. Folks are not familiar with them because they don't see them being used or for sale, or don't know what they are when they do see them. And on the internet there are a lot of opinions about them, and my guess is many of those opinions are by folks who don't own one and never used one.

Find an implement that matches your tractor size and weight wise, and get advise from someone who has used the implement and then make your decision. And every implement has a learning curve. The more the implement will do the longer the curve. Be patient!

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I think you'd be better off with using a grapple. The 4 in 1 would probably limit you to grabbing one trunk at a time, and I believe that the 4 in 1 is probably a lot more expensive than a grapple too. After all the big stuff is moved with the grapple you can always come back with the normal bucket and a hand rake to clean up.

I think the 4 in 1 is more geared towards dirt, gravel, or sand moving and manipulation more so than as the grappling aspect.
I guess I'll find out. The 4 in 1 was already ordered. I'll get grapple if this doesn't work. The sales guy mentioned it's a great tool to have for something like this. I'll just rent a grapple if I need it.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I looked at 4-1 and grapples. I ended up purchasing a grapple. The 4-1 bucket I was looking at weighed 881lbs, cost $3,900, and was 67". The grapple weighed 239lbs, cost $2,000 and was 55".

I went with the weight and cost savings, with the weight being the bigger factor. I gained about 600lbs of material handling ability verses the 4-1. When you loader is rated at 1,800lbs, losing 800lbs to the bucket weight makes a big difference in what you can pick.
The specs show the 4 in 1 bucket weighs 360 lbs. with a 3k lb clamping force & is used as a dozer, scraper, grapple, & bucket. I saw a vid on the Landpride site & it shows the bucket grappling logs about the same width as the juniper I was referring to. If this doesn't work, I'll get a grapple.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The specs show the 4 in 1 bucket weighs 360 lbs. with a 3k lb clamping force & is used as a dozer, scraper, grapple, & bucket. I saw a vid on the Landpride site & it shows the bucket grappling logs about the same width as the juniper I was referring to. If this doesn't work, I'll get a grapple.
The specs I quoted was for the EA model that I was looking at and trying decide between the bucket and the grapple.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I guess I'll find out. The 4 in 1 was already ordered. I'll get grapple if this doesn't work. The sales guy mentioned it's a great tool to have for something like this. I'll just rent a grapple if I need it.
I assume you bought the CB1060 bucket. Would you mind telling us how much you paid?

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
$2.4k.
Was told it was as at cost but that's sales for ya. Nothing is sold for $0 profit.
I agree about cost. My dealer sold me a spreader at "cost". It was a better price than I had seen anywhere researching, but I know it wasn't actually cost or they'd lose money.

I figured the 4 in 1 bucket would most likely bee $2000 at least. I wouldn't mind having one, but being that I already own a grapple, I will certainly not pursue purchasing one at the moment due to cost.

You should enjoy it. I really like my grapple.

ArtinAz

Equipment
L3901
Oct 24, 2019
Snowflake
I agree about cost. My dealer sold me a spreader at "cost". It was a better price than I had seen anywhere researching, but I know it wasn't actually cost or they'd lose money.

I figured the 4 in 1 bucket would most likely bee $2000 at least. I wouldn't mind having one, but being that I already own a grapple, I will certainly not pursue purchasing one at the moment due to cost.

You should enjoy it. I really like my grapple.
The retail was $3.7k on the 4in1. I like the versatility it has - I downloaded the manual & it has instructions on digging a hole, grading, grappling debris & tree trunks, etc.
Seems pretty cool. I was told everything's being delivered next week so we'll see how it goes.

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
The retail was $3.7k on the 4in1. I like the versatility it has - I downloaded the manual & it has instructions on digging a hole, grading, grappling debris & tree trunks, etc.
Seems pretty cool. I was told everything's being delivered next week so we'll see how it goes.
Let us know how it goes for you you.
It wont take long to get the hang of the bucket.

Im guessing it wont have hooks as most buckets dont have them standard.
One trick with a 4in1 is to weld the hooks inside the bucket on the top edge.
When you hook up your chains open the bucket. This lets you lift from the back of the bucket rather than the the front edge which gives you more lifting power.

Attachments