L3800HST First service

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
I'm rolling up on the 50hr mark too, Im changing all fluids and using kubota brand filters, I'm like most guys, first service is important to get all the shavings from break in out, I would much rather do it now than 200hrs later.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
......What little fluid comes out around the filters isn't where the nasty stuff is at. The lower drain plugs is where all the metal settles at when the tractor is sitting still.....
Yep. Exactly the reason why I want to change all the fluids in mine at 50. I'm changing the front axle fluid too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep. Exactly the reason why I want to change all the fluids in mine at 50. I'm changing the front axle fluid too.

Stupid (really a lazy) question, I should just look in the manual...axle changes due when, and the fluid is..?

Ironic, I was just looking at axle drain plug this morning, while I was having a hell of a time greasing MMM. Felt like a rookie, and I started greasing farm equipment at 5 years old. We got 'er done, though.

As #9 said, been using the 4x4 quite a bit on my tractor - the front end not a bad idea, that I didn't think of until now. Even though its a small BX2360, the stuff is working hard, and early service is critical.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Front axle has the same service interval as the tranny and it takes trans/hyd fluid just like the tractor does.

I've not worked on a BX but assume it's like the bigger tractors. Each outer hub should have a drain plug. Read in your book, some tractors are made to where the hubs are filled seperate from the main housing and some are filled from the main housing. My point being don't just assume when you fill the main housing that the hubs are filled as well.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
All my filters and fluids came today. I'll be doing the service tomorrow. Also added a RH fender grip to the order. Looks much better with a grip on each fender and is a perfect spot to land the right hand when climbing on the tractor. Have no idea why they omitted it from the factory.

OP - did you do your service yet?

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I might do my service today, does it matter if my FEL is off the tractor?

Does the fluid circulate through the FEL and the entire system when you are operating the tractor? I'm ignorant about how the hydro/trans system works.

Thanks Ben

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I might do my service today, does it matter if my FEL is off the tractor?

Does the fluid circulate through the FEL and the entire system when you are operating the tractor? I'm ignorant about how the hydro/trans system works.

Thanks Ben
Yes the hydro fluid circulates through the FEL and whole system. But you do not have to have the FEL on the change the fluid, it's not going to run out of the cylinders anyway.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Done my service today at 49hr. Changed all fluids but the coolant and all the filters. I also added the second optional air filter. I went with the Super UDT2 fluid. Pretty straight forward and watching the L3400 50hr service video on Youtube helped a lot. The front axle takes FOREVER to drain.

Seeing this junk on the magnet of the filter made me glad I changed all the fluids at 50. Maybe there was none of this left floating around, but I sure feel better knowing I changed the fluid anyway.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Number9, I'm glad you posted those pictures. I hope everyone who thinks the full service at 50 hrs isn't neccessary takes a close look. That is exactly why I say the first service is the most important of the tractors life.

I guess your bota has a smile on the grill tonight.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Wow, I did my service yesterday too and I didn't have anything near that on my magnet.

I'll post a picture of mine after I get up and get into the garage.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Here is what came out of mine. Not near as much as I thought and I went past the 50 hr mark.
image.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know on my 2360 I got a bunch of stuff on the screen in the rear end ,I cut open all my filters,,, comes from a lot of street raceing in the old days,,, and they looked ok,, I did figure out after the last change on the front end if you pull on plug and the open the top if you use an air hose it blows out the fluids a lot faster then open the other side and blow it out, I think I got just about it all out

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
I changed all my fluids at 49hrs yesterday, the only gripe I have is changing the fuel filter and not having a shut off valve (what a mess). In the future i will make sure the new fuel filter will have all the O'rings in place before I pull the old one out, and make sure i have a 3/8 bolt to stick in the fuel line to stop the fuel flow, holding my thumb over the fuel line and trying to change the filter one handed was not pretty.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The first fuel filter change was nasty on my L3000. The second change I ran the tank all but empty. I removed the fuel line and drained out the rest of the tank, installed a cutoff valve and put the line back on. Now filter changing is much easier.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I changed all my fluids at 49hrs yesterday, the only gripe I have is changing the fuel filter and not having a shut off valve (what a mess). In the future i will make sure the new fuel filter will have all the O'rings in place before I pull the old one out, and make sure i have a 3/8 bolt to stick in the fuel line to stop the fuel flow, holding my thumb over the fuel line and trying to change the filter one handed was not pretty.
Just curious, what did your filter with the magnet look like? Anything like number 9's or more like mine and bluegills?

Yeah that fuel filter is messy, I broke my fuel filter body and I had fuel everywhere until I stuck a boot in it, I like bulldogs idea of installing a shut off valve.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I know on my 2360 I got a bunch of stuff on the screen in the rear end ,I cut open all my filters,,, comes from a lot of street raceing in the old days,,, and they looked ok,, I did figure out after the last change on the front end if you pull on plug and the open the top if you use an air hose it blows out the fluids a lot faster then open the other side and blow it out, I think I got just about it all out
I thought about cutting open the filters, just out of curiosity. I used to ride dirt bikes hot and heavy and we used to inspect the filter and oil after every oil change, we didn't have to cut it open of course. The life span of the newer 4 stroke engine is short so we changed the oil and cleaned the air breather frequently.

GeauxLSU

Equipment
Kubota L3800HST
Jul 3, 2013
Summerville, SC
@Benhameen...I just changed all my filters yesterday and I had nothing like what #9 had. My filters looked like yours and Bluegill. Hardly anything on it. Granted all I'm doing is cutting grass with a finish mower and bush hogging so it may not be getting quite enough of a beating.

I did have a lengthy discussion with the dealer where I purchased my tractor as far as draining the entire tractor or just replacing the filters. They said that at 50 hours replacing the fluid was overkill. It was more important to change the fluid at the next interval. 50 hours on these tractors was hardly enough time to actually finish the break in process. They've been in business for a long time and have a great reputation so I trust them.

All together the cost was surprisingly low for the 50 hour change. 2 gallons of oil, oil filter, 2 hydraulic filters and a gallon of UDT was about $125. The most difficult part was getting the filters off. Hercules must have put them on!