L3800HST ergonomics for smaller statured & price

zerodog

Dec 22, 2012
United States
Being 5'1", will I be able to operate the L3800 comfortably, or will I need a pillow behind the seat?! :confused: I need this size tractor for my property and the work I'll be doing, so if anyone has any info if smaller statured people can operate it, please let me know. I'm trying to buy one before year's end. Also, what is a decent price for a 2012 L3800HST, with a L524 loader with 60" bucket, and a 60" box scraper? I'm getting many different prices from dealers and want to know what a fair price is for the end of the year models. Thanks

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
You should have no problem. I woud recommend though that you try several different machines from different manufactures to make sure that you find one that fits you well.

I had a BX25, I like Orange tractors, but before I bought my L3200HST (same ergo's as the L3800) I also tried the New Holland T series, specificaly the T1520 and I found the seating area to be somewhat cramped, but that might be a bonus for you?

As to pricing, are you looking at Kubota's 0% financing? And as to the final out the door price, I take into consideration the dealership service that I recieve before, during and after the sale as all pert of the sales price. I am not sure where in the United States you are located, so it would be hard to set a price for your area, but you can look on several tractor sales websites to get some ideas as well.

Just some thoughts.

David

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The seat is adjustable on the L3800. When I first tried one, it was so cramped I thought no way this will work. Then I moved the seat back and it was fine.

So with the seat all the way forward, I believe it'll work for you.

Price for a L3800DT was around 19k when I was shopping a year ago. But was looking at gear drive, not HST.

Very good tractor! I've been extremely pleased with mine.

zerodog

Dec 22, 2012
United States
Thanks for the help, Bluegill. How tall are you that you felt cramped in the seat before you moved it back? I appreciate the input, as this is my first tractor purchase. I drove a JD 990 for a while and had to have a pillow behind me in the seat. Thanks for the pricing advice as well. I'm trying to get a good deal on a 2012 since the 2013 should be arriving.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks for the help, Bluegill. How tall are you that you felt cramped in the seat before you moved it back? I appreciate the input, as this is my first tractor purchase. I drove a JD 990 for a while and had to have a pillow behind me in the seat. Thanks for the pricing advice as well. I'm trying to get a good deal on a 2012 since the 2013 should be arriving.
I'm 5-10. The driver station on these is not huge and wide open. You really need to go see one in person and go for a test drive.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My son is about 5', and he has to stretch to get the clutch all the way in (DT), but does fine with gas and brakes. I don't believe the HST would be a problem. When he first started sometimes he would slide forward enough on the seat to open the seat switch and kill the tractor.
From what I've experienced and read, you should get 5-10% off from the Kubota web-site price, generally with rimguard rear wheel ballast tossed in.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm 6ft4 I never get the luxury of being comfortable on any tractor or car or truck or chair or bed or anything I can park my tall fatass on!

I'm told I look like a bear on a roller skate working on my B6100. I raised the seat up about 6 inches and that make a world of difference for me.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My wife is 5' nothin and she is comfortable on my L with the seat forward. I'm 6'1" and I'm ok with furthest back but another inch of travel would be nice sometimes. I spent a couple hours in the seat yesterday clearing from the blizzard we got Thursday

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You'll have no trouble with the L3800. I'm 5.5 and the wife is 5 foot nothing. Neither one of us have any trouble driving it...actually I could probably move the seat back another notch but it's great for the wife the way it is. You'll love the L3800, it's a great tractor.