L3800 engine shutting down

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
I have about 90 hours on my 2012 L3800 HST.

Occasionally the engine will start to lose RPM and then shuts down. It will restart but usually dies out again within seconds. It takes several starting attempts to get it to keep running, and often runs a little rough for a while afterwards.

I've noticed that as soon as I hear the rpm start to drop slightly, any hydraulic use (HST, 3pt. lift, loader, backhoe, splitter, etc.) causes the machine to rapidly lose rpm and stall.

My first thought was perhaps a clog somewhere in the fuel supply but the fuel filter is always full of fuel and the fuel filler cap is clean and secure. I did change the fuel filter after the problem started. I use Diesel Kleen regularly, as directed.

This problem does not happen every time I run the machine; probably every other use and there is no rhyme or reason to how long it will run before the problem arises.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don't even know if your tractor has this or not so here's a shot in the dark. Where the fuel line coming from the filter hooks to the injector pump, does it have a small round knob? If so is it closed (full turn clockwise)? I have heard if this is left open it can make the engine run bad.

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
SteveF,

The machine has never run out of fuel, so I didn't think bleeding was necessary. The filter has always shown completely full of fuel.

I checked the fuel line where it terminates after it leaves the filter; there is no knob that I can see.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
90 hours very possible it needs a new fuel filter, even if you think it looks clean it could still be clogged with tiny partials.

markhat

Equipment
L3800
Sep 22, 2012
Richland, Mo,usa
I had the same problem. Fuel filter was always full and clean. I went through the steps to bleed the injector lines. I found that the small knob to open/close the line had come loose and was letting air into the system. Closing the small black knob fixed the issue completely. Look in manual to see exactly where the knob is located. Hope this does it.

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
I believe I found the bleeder valve. It was not loose, but I turned it firmly to be sure.
I spent 2 hours clearing my driveway and the issue did not appear. If the problem occurs again I will be back for more ideas.
Thanks for all the replies.

http://[URL=http://s152.photobucket.com/user/homefront5/media/L3800fuelbleedvalve003Large_zpsd649dd7d.jpg.html]

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's the knob. It works like a champ during filter changes. I may have just been lucky but I have never had to bleed injector lines on a engine that was equiped with that knob.